2015 Fun with the Season Preview

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I like the article, but based on what we've seen and heard from the coaching staff that lineup is way off. I don't see any way this team runs three rookie defensemen to start the year. If Parayko is on the team, he's in the starting six and Bortuzzo sits. I think you'll find that the vast majority here are under the impression that Fabbri will get a nine game look at minimum.

I doubt Gomez and Upshall both get signed.

Art Lippo

Dec 30, 2014
^

Thanks for the read.
I wrote this before the Chicago game on Thursday under the impression Gunny was starting the year on the IR. You're right about the 3 rookie D. Would assume Butler would be the 7th and someone would be sent down.

Scary part is the Hitch factor. So unpredictable...

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Only thing I have an issue with is Parayko as the 7th D. No way the Blues sit him in the press box.

I am curious to see what happens with Fabbri. I think he's at least guaranteed to get his 9 game trial, but the fact that some have acknowledged that he's worn down a little does kind of worry me when it's this early on. I know he's played a lot with Traverse too, but I have concerns about him wearing down. I think he'll have a good season but then he could be basically a non-factor in the playoffs. It's a reason why I'd probably keep Rattie and have him share some time with Fabbri.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I enjoyed that. Has a few good laughs in it.

Another poster clarified the Fabbri comment. It was more of a mental fatigue as opposed to physical. JR touched on that in his chat. He said sometimes when a rookie makes the team, they can settle down and just play, they don't have that cloud of uncertainty looming. I think Fabbri is 100% lock

I'll hold onto the dream defense until Hitch crushes my dreams.

Lindbohm Pietrangelo
Edmundson Shattenkirk
Boumeester Parayko
Bortuzzo

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I enjoyed that. Has a few good laughs in it.

Another poster clarified the Fabbri comment. It was more of a mental fatigue as opposed to physical. JR touched on that in his chat. He said sometimes when a rookie makes the team, they can settle down and just play, they don't have that cloud of uncertainty looming. I think Fabbri is 100% lock

I'll hold onto the dream defense until Hitch crushes my dreams.

Lindbohm Pietrangelo
Edmundson Shattenkirk
Boumeester Parayko
Bortuzzo
I knew the mental thing, but to me that doesn't make much of a difference. It's gonna be a grind and it's not like the pressure is going to go away and he'll be cruising through the season with no ups and downs or problems whatsoever. In fact it's going to amp up when the playoffs start so hopefully he can handle it and whatever uncertainty he's dealing with does go away.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I knew the mental thing, but to me that doesn't make much of a difference. It's gonna be a grind and it's not like the pressure is going to go away and he'll be cruising through the season with no ups and downs or problems whatsoever. In fact it's going to amp up when the playoffs start so hopefully he can handle it and whatever uncertainty he's dealing with does go away.
True, but I don't think and would hope Hitch would base his decision on 1 game that was nothing more then a lul. He's still not making mistakes, at least none that I saw.

Art Lippo

Dec 30, 2014
Fabbri

JR in his chat Thursday was all over the kid. He was very vanilla the 3 games I watched but would have zero beef if they kept him. Biggest concern is how they use him if he does make the line up. Hope they keep him away from the 4th line

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Good article, and reasonable rationale for all your opinions. I agree with the Vezina prediction. I think Elliott is going to fail to cooperate with Allen's legacy.

Those lineups are wack, even if you give leeway for the Gunnarsson injury.

Fabbri has made the team, and I've seen nothing to indicate Gomez should. Rattie has outplayed him pretty thoroughly. Upshall might....actually I'll say he probably will.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
JR in his chat Thursday was all over the kid. He was very vanilla the 3 games I watched but would have zero beef if they kept him. Biggest concern is how they use him if he does make the line up. Hope they keep him away from the 4th line
Agreed and since I'm not Fabbri I can only guess at why that was. To me he was just playing that complete game. He wasn't trying to wow anyone as it seems from what Hitch has said, and the way they've handled Fabbri, he's pretty much been a lock for the team since last TC. You could see flashes of his skill from time to time but he seemed more intent on proving he wouldn't be a liability out there. Hitch riding his ass on the PK and putting him with what I would consider the shutdown line hints towards that. We know that he can provide the offense. Just can he handle the 200ft game

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Another thing to point out is that he very nearly made the team last year. I remember reading some reports that made it seem like he was going to get a 9 game tryout last year prior to his injury. I think he'll get at least that this year.

I've said before I'd like to see both Rattie and Fabbri make the team. That'll allow the team to give Rattie some rest and keep him from getting over exposed and get a good look at Rattie in the NHL. I don't feel like he's got much to prove in the AHL.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Only thing I have an issue with is Parayko as the 7th D. No way the Blues sit him in the press box.

I am curious to see what happens with Fabbri. I think he's at least guaranteed to get his 9 game trial, but the fact that some have acknowledged that he's worn down a little does kind of worry me when it's this early on. I know he's played a lot with Traverse too, but I have concerns about him wearing down. I think he'll have a good season but then he could be basically a non-factor in the playoffs. It's a reason why I'd probably keep Rattie and have him share some time with Fabbri.

Fabbri should pass the 9 games without any problem. There's no way that The Blues will play him so much he'll wear out. They need to see a lot of Rattie to decide whether to keep or trade him. They'll ease BOTH of them into the lineup. They'll be in a rotation with each other, and another 3rd liner and, when Berglund returns, he'll be in that as well. With small injuries, illness and rest needed by the other middle 6 forwards, there'll be ice time for evertone (Ott limited - I hope), and no one will be "overworked" early.

I can't imagine Fabbri being sent back to Juniors.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
WHO’S IN, WHO’S OUT?
In: Kyle Brodziak (MIN), Troy Brouwer (WSH), Scott Gomez (PTO) & Scottie Upshall (PTO)

Out: Barret Jackman (NSH), TJ Oshie, (WSH), Zybnek Michalek (PHX), Marcel Goc (Europe), Olli Jokinen (Waffle House), Martin Brodeur (retired….again) & Chris Porter (MIN)

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :handclap: :lol:

Oh I had grand looks today at work because of that.

87Sl6h.jpg

Last edited:

Art Lippo

Dec 30, 2014
WHO’S IN, WHO’S OUT?
In: Kyle Brodziak (MIN), Troy Brouwer (WSH), Scott Gomez (PTO) & Scottie Upshall (PTO)

Out: Barret Jackman (NSH), TJ Oshie, (WSH), Zybnek Michalek (PHX), Marcel Goc (Europe), Olli Jokinen (Waffle House), Martin Brodeur (retired….again) & Chris Porter (MIN)

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :handclap: :lol:

Oh I had grand looks today at work because of that.

87Sl6h.jpg

That GIF NEVER gets old. Ever.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Isn't Lehtera going to center the 2nd line?

So far yes.

Practice lines today were. As reported by J.R.

Alexander Steen-Paul Stastny-Vladimir Tarasenko

Robby Fabbri-Jori Lehtera-Jaden Schwartz

Dmitrij Jaskin-David Backes-Troy Brouwer

Scottie Upshall/Steve Ott-Kyle Brodziak-Ryan Reaves

I do see them flipping Schwartz and Fabbri tho.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
JR tweets have pretty much said Jaskin and Fabbri will swap places depending on the opponent. Especially on road trips

Art Lippo

Dec 30, 2014
Looks like I was only 2 off on the roster.

Fabbri / Gomez

Carl / Lindbohm (Sucks)

I am floored Hitchcock is going with that much youth. Floored. But hey, whatever brings home the W's!!

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It's gotta make the Hitch haters hate. He's doing exactly the opposite if what they blab about

Art Lippo

Dec 30, 2014
It's gotta make the Hitch haters hate. He's doing exactly the opposite if what they blab about

I think it's good he went beyond his comfort zone. Shows he's evolving a little bit with his geezer age.

Excited to see Fabbri play big boy hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad