2015 ECHL Kelly Cup Finals

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Lol I thought the South ended school in May. I know they end earlier than us. Upstate NY is like the last place in the country to finish the school year in late June.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
That is impressive for sure.

Why no move to AHL or NHL?

Resume shows he should be. Curious.
I don't know how he operating in Allen, but in his previous stops he was not about developing young talent. His "system" was to bring in a few vets, play a "slapshot" style with lots of fighting and a few agitators. He was also a loose cannon - getting tossed regularly, screaming at opposing coaches, etc. It worked most of the time - but not in the ECHL until this year. Most AHL teams are looking for coaches to that will develop their young talent for the NHL, and that wasn't his strong suit.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
In the 28 team ECHL the Allen Americans had the highest PIM totals in the entire league.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Keep in mind, this happened during Marty's first year in Allen.

In the 28 team ECHL the Allen Americans had the highest PIM totals in the entire league.

So nothing has changed. Wouldn't expect any AHL teams to come calling, and based on past history he will be out of Allen and on to another team in a year or two. His teams are entertaining, that is for sure. :popcorn:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
So nothing has changed. Wouldn't expect any AHL teams to come calling, and based on past history he will be out of Allen and on to another team in a year or two. His teams are entertaining, that is for sure. :popcorn:

To be fair...Rockford went AHL. San Diego lost its team. You can't really pin those on him. Elmira didn't bring him back because he didn't win in the playoffs. Fair or unfair.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I don't know how he operating in Allen, but in his previous stops he was not about developing young talent. His "system" was to bring in a few vets, play a "slapshot" style with lots of fighting and a few agitators. He was also a loose cannon - getting tossed regularly, screaming at opposing coaches, etc. It worked most of the time - but not in the ECHL until this year. Most AHL teams are looking for coaches to that will develop their young talent for the NHL, and that wasn't his strong suit.

His teams in Elmira made the playoffs but those are such a crapshoot once you get there. The one year they lost to reading in 6 games who had 3 of their wins in overtime. Close series that could have gone either way. Think Cincinnati beat them in 5 the next year in round 2. The last year they lost in 5 games(in a best of 5) to Florida. But to be fair that's probably the worst coaching job in the league because every spring the roster was an unknown. Weren't sure what guys you'd get back and affiliates weren't always cooperative. I highly doubt that was an issue in Allen.

They asked him this when he was here. I forget his full answer but he likes the control he can have down here. The only place his to win style would fly is Hershey(believe he actually played there in his career)wish the league had more coaches like him though. Keeps it interesting. I'm more for winning over developing. This league is also not important for that outside of the odd goalie so that's also in his favor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad