2015 Draft: WHL defensemen

Oilersfan21

Feb 6, 2012
Who are some defensemen to keep an eye on this season in the WHL? Seems the western league has a strong D-Core for this years draft. Some names I'm seeing in current threads are Wotherspoon, Pilon, Davis, Juulsen, Guhle, and Reddekopp. Projections and analysis of 2015 eligible D-men from the WHL can be placed on this thread.

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
If we are talking strictly about 2015 draft eligible D men then..

The ISS top 50 for the 2015 NHL draft only has Parker Wotherspoon listed at 28th. Some of the mock drafts have Ryan Pilon going in the first round, and Brandon Carlo from Tri City and Connor Hobbs from Medicine Hat going in the third round.

I can't really speak for the depth charts of every team in the league, but I will say who I am going to be watching. It would be sweet if fans of every team could chime in about who they are looking forward to watching the development of on their teams this year.

I am a Hitmen fan so I am primarily focusing on the development of Travis Sanheim and Ben Thomas. They were a pairing all season long last season and have now both been drafted. A summer of hard work and NHL training camps should be good for their development. Sanheim was also invited to the Hockey Canada summer world Junior camp as well.

The depth chart is as follows for the Hitmen this season:

Helegesen Harmsworth
Sanheim Thomas
Zipp Morrison

This is what I think it will look like, and this is assuming the Anaheim Ducks return Helgesen to Junior as an overager. If Helgesen doesn't come back and ends up in the AHL then the Hitmen will need to start wheeling and dealing to improve their D core. They may have to anyway...

Micheal Zipp is interesting because the Hitmen played him at forward and Defense last season. I don't think they will have that luxury again, and with Sanheim and Thomas both having an offensive element to their game they may be missing the shut down D man. Colby Harmsworth could be that guy I guess, but he constantly goes through hills and valleys with me and I never really know how to feel about him.

Contenders for the lineup / D men on the horizon would be Lochlan Morrison 97, Alex McGovern 97, Aaron Hyman 98, Jake Bean 98, Taner Miller 98...

I'm excited about Hyman and Bean. Hyman is huge and has that Bouwmeester lower body that makes me think he will be minute eating shutdown force on the Hitmen blue line for years to come. Bean played for the Edge School last season and almost led his team in scoring as a defenseman with 69 points in 57 games. The next defenseman on the team had 26 points. They are both 16 though...

Calgary Flames draft picks I will have my eyes on are Brett Kulak if he is returned as an overager to the Giants. Keegan Kanzig in Victoria. Eric Roy in Brandon.

SBrisScout

May 9, 2010
Washington State
For Everett, Davis and Juulsen look like pretty good prospects right now. They played very well under pressure, and really were solid in their 16 year old seasons.

The Tips defense lines should be as follows:

Mueller-Juulsen
Betker-Davis
Cochrane-MacDonald
Wharrie

Mueller is a long shot to make the Sharks roster, but there's a chance he does. If that happens, the weight will fall on Davis and Juulsen to step up and become franchise defenseman.

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
OK...so I have been nerding out pretty hardcore and have been examining some advanced stats. This is my ranking for the potential a D man has going into their draft year based on their advanced stats from last season. This list only contains D men that have played at least 36 games.

1. Chase Harrison Regina Pats
2. Parker Wotherspoon Tri City Americans
3. Noah Juulsen Everett Silvertips
4. Tate Olson Prince George Cougars
5. Chaz Reddekopp Victoria Royals
6. Ryan Pilon Brandon Wheat Kings
7. Keoni Texeira Portland Winterhawks
8. Ethan Bear Seattle Thunderbirds
9. Brendan Guhle Prince Albert Raiders
10. Brandon Carlo Tri City Americans
11. Joe Gatenby Kelowna Rockets
12. Troy Murray Kootenay Ice
13. Tyler Brown Moose Jaw Warriors
14. Kade Jensen Lethbridge Hurricanes
15. Kevin Davis Everett Silvertips
16. Dmitry Osipov Vancouver Giants
17. Micheal Zipp Calgary Hitmen

It's weird... Chase Harrison only had an estimated time on ice per 60 minutes of 6.2 minutes but his goals for % relative to the team's goals for % when he is not on the ice is significantly above the field. His points per 60 minutes is also well ahead of the field. Statistically speaking if the stats remain the same and his ice time increases significantly he will be the best of this draft class in the WHL.

Perhaps a Regina Pats fan could chime in on Harrison? Anyone?

Last edited:

Sammy225

Aug 9, 2011
Another kid i would add to the list is Kale Clague of the Wheat Kings. He would have made the team last year if he was not 15. I think the kid is going to grow up to be a stud on the blueline.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
My faves that seem to be rather undervalued are Joe Gatenby, Troy Murray and Keoni Texeira. Gatenby is a rock-solid defensive defenceman who forced his way into Kelowna's Top 6 this year, bumping out vets like Jesse Lees to the forward lines, I think his role is going to grow big-time this year and might demonstrate a previously-unseen offensive element. Murray is a lot like his brother: smooth-skating, composed and a rock defensively. Texeira's a good 2-way guy who is going to get mucho added minutes with Pouliot and Dumba graduating to the pros.

Tiger Trauma

Sep 5, 2006
Medicine Hat
old.reddit.com
I think Connor Hobbs from Medicine Hat could possibly make the list.

He will be more of a sleeper pick as he only played a handful of games, but he would have been up all year if not for having 7 experienced rearguards back there. He was still called up and finished the season playing 10 games.

He made Canada's under 18 team. He will be a bit under the radar but I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the mid-term list and then shoot up the list at seasons end.

thething

Jul 28, 2014
How would this crop of defense compare to previous years?

I've been hearing that the 2015 draft could be one of the strongest ever but the d prospects from the whl do not appear to be very strong the summer coming into their draft year.

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
OK...so I have been nerding out pretty hardcore and have been examining some advanced stats. This is my ranking for the potential a D man has going into their draft year based on their advanced stats from last season. This list only contains D men that have played at least 36 games.

1. Chase Harrison Regina Pats
2. Parker Wotherspoon Tri City Americans
3. Noah Juulsen Everett Silvertips
4. Tate Olson Prince George Cougars
5. Chaz Reddekopp Victoria Royals
6. Ryan Pilon Brandon Wheat Kings
7. Keoni Texeira Portland Winterhawks
8. Ethan Bear Seattle Thunderbirds
9. Brendan Guhle Prince Albert Raiders
10. Brandon Carlo Tri City Americans
11. Joe Gatenby Kelowna Rockets
12. Troy Murray Kootenay Ice
13. Tyler Brown Moose Jaw Warriors
14. Kade Jensen Lethbridge Hurricanes
15. Kevin Davis Everett Silvertips
16. Dmitry Osipov Vancouver Giants
17. Micheal Zipp Calgary Hitmen

It's weird... Chase Harrison only had an estimated time on ice per 60 minutes of 6.2 minutes but his goals for % relative to the team's goals for % when he is not on the ice is significantly above the field. His points per 60 minutes is also well ahead of the field. Statistically speaking if the stats remain the same and his ice time increases significantly he will be the best of this draft class in the WHL.

Perhaps a Regina Pats fan could chime in on Harrison? Anyone?

Chase Harrison leads the preseason in plus/minus...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad