2015 draft is the best draft since 03?

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
3 years after draft, and this draft has had so many impressive talents out of it. A generational player in Mcdavid. Multiple elite talents.

Players who've logged games.

Anaheim: Troy Terry, Jacob Larsson,
Arizona: Christian Fischer, Dylan Strome, Nick Merkley, Kyle Capobianco, Adin Hill,
Boston: Jake Debrusk, Brandon Carlo, Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson | Jakub Zboril looks promising.
Buffalo: Jack Eichel, Brandon Guhle,
Calgary: Andrew Mangiapane, Oliver Kylington, Rasmus Andersson
Carolina: Noah Hanifin, Sebastien Aho, Nicholas Roy
Chicago: N/A
Colorado: Mikko Rantanen, A.J Greer, Andrei Mironov
Columbus: Zach Werenski, Gabriel Carlsson, Markus Nuutivaara
Dallas: Dennis Gurianov | Hintz looking good!
Detroit: Evgeny Svechnikov
Edmonton: Connor Mcdavid, Ethan Bear
Florida: Lawson Crouse, Dennis Malgin
LA: N/A
Minnesota: Jordan Greenway, Joel Eriksson Ek | Kaprisov looking like a gem, but will he come over.
Montreal: Noah Juulsen
Nashville: Alexandre Carrier
NJ : Pavel Zacha, Blake Speers
NYI: Matthew Barzal, Anthony Beauvillier
NYR: n/a
Ottawa: Thomas Chabot, Colin White, Filip Chlapik, Christian Walanin, Christian Jaros
Philly: Ivan Provorov, Travis Konecny
Pittsburgh : Daniel Sprong, Dominik Simon
San Jose: Timo Meier
St Louis: Vince Dunn
Tampa: Anthony Cirelli
Toronto: Mitchell Marner, Travis Dermott
Vancouver: Brock Boeser, Adam Gaudette,
Washington: n/a
Winnipeg: Kyle Connor, Jack Roslovic, Sami Niku

That's 57 players who've already logged time in the bigs .There's a lot of time to go before classifying many of these prospects as busts. This draft can potentially reach 80-100 players. Many of these guys will improve.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I think it is. I know some people are adamant that it's not one of the best of all time, but I think in due time it will be.

There's just so much talent from top to bottom. The top talent is arguably much better than the top talent of 2003.

Or even if you look at the top five of 2003 vs 2015, I'd probably take the 2015 draft.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I think it is. I know some people are adamant that it's not one of the best of all time, but I think in due time it will be.

There's just so much talent from top to bottom. The top talent is arguably much better than the top talent of 2003.

Or even if you look at the top five of 2003 vs 2015, I'd probably take the 2015 draft.
Agreed

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Sabres had 3 1st rounders that year and Murray traded 1 of them for Lehner and another in the Kane trade. LOL

Sabres could of had Eichel, Roslovic/Boeser, Konency, Guhle out of that draft. Would have been the Sabres best draft in history.

Bad management is why the Sabres are still a last place team.

Reactions: DRW204 and Tripod

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

McDavid really stands out as there's no one in 2003 that really registers on an all time scale. I was actually thinking one of the things it has in common though with 2003 was that outside of McDavid, it looks like a lot of potential All Star level players, but not really many consistent award contenders. Eichel might get there, but I'm not sure anyone else seems likely to be better than Getzlaf, Bergeron, Weber, Suter, Burns, Staal level players.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Sabres had 3 1st rounders that year and Murray traded 1 of them for Lehner and another in the Kane trade. LOL

Sabres could of had Eichel, Roslovic/Boeser, Konency, Guhle out of that draft. Would have been the Sabres best draft in history.

They also traded 31

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
McDavid really stands out as there's no one in 2003 that really registers on an all time scale. I was actually thinking one of the things it has in common though with 2003 was that outside of McDavid, it looks like a lot of potential All Star level players, but not really many consistent award contenders. Eichel might get there, but I'm not sure anyone else seems likely to be better than Getzlaf, Bergeron, Weber, Suter, Burns, Staal level players.
Remains to be seen. Barzal has something very special. We'll get a better sense of his potential this year. I expect Provorov to be a perennial Norris contender. Werenski has fantastic offensive instincts; he may put up good enough numbers to also contend for the Norris. Aho has another gear. Eichel of has the talent to contend for the Art Ross. If all these guys live up to their full potential, this draft will be remembered as a historically great one.

Last edited:

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
I still don’t understand why Ryan pilon decided to not pursue a higher level of playing, he had tons of potential, even proven genes and he walked away from it

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

You're not wrong...but the strength of 2003 is that you could get an all-star or even a franchise player in the first half of the second round. It's not about the top five.

If we had a team of the 2003 class at their 2006-level of development against the 2015 class and made full teams, the 2003 team would wreck the 2015 one.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You're not wrong...but the strength of 2003 is that you could get an all-star or even a franchise player in the first half of the second round. It's not about the top five.

If we had a team of the 2003 class at their 2006-level of development against the 2015 class and made full teams, the 2003 team would wreck the 2015 one.

Need to keep in mind though that we know exactly how everyone from the 2003 draft turned out. But three years out of the draft nobody knew. Guys like Eriksson, Backes and Weber weren't even in the NHL full time at that point.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Need to keep in mind though that we know exactly how everyone from the 2003 draft turned out. But three years out of the draft nobody knew. Guys like Eriksson, Backes and Weber weren't even in the NHL full time at that point.
That goes both ways though. We don't know if McDavid gets a skate through the Achilles and becomes a shell of himself or if any of the other players falter as young players do.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

I've always said this draft could have change their franchise....Along with the 3 1sts they had the 1st pick of the 2nd round...Aho, Dermoott, Dunn, Sprong, and a bunch of other good talent still available. Hopefully they don't sell their 3 x 2019 1sts in similar fashion and draft well

Reactions: EichHart

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
he didnt continue playing something he wasnt passionate enough about or physicslly couldnt handle anymore (whatever his reasons were), and thats better than being on a team and not giving it your all
He could’ve made it in the ahl or Europe as a pro hockey player, it shouldn’t be seen as nhl or bust for the fringe guys

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I've always said this draft could have change their franchise....Along with the 3 1sts they had the 1st pick of the 2nd round...Aho, Dermoott, Dunn, Sprong, and a bunch of other good talent still available. Hopefully they don't sell their 3 x 2019 1sts in similar fashion and draft well

The 2019 looks incredible already. We might have a 4th 1st if we trade skinner. Going to Be hard to get another 1st though.

One NHL GM watching Hlinka Gretzky: "Nobody's trading their first-round draft picks for 2019." So many fantastic kids. Hughes will go No. 1. After that, it's anybody's guess.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Flyers figure to have a third player from that draft get some games in this season in Vorobyev. He's a rangy playmaking center they drafted in the 4th round.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
The 2019 looks incredible already. We might have a 4th 1st if we trade skinner. Going to Be hard to get another 1st though.

One NHL GM watching Hlinka Gretzky: "Nobody's trading their first-round draft picks for 2019." So many fantastic kids. Hughes will go No. 1. After that, it's anybody's guess.
of course it's anybody's guess the kids only played their draft -1 year, that year of developpement is HUGE.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I dunno, I think that's pretty hard to gauge.

Werenski & Provorov are both certainly arguable to be better at their age than any of Suter, Burns, or Weber were.

Marner, Barzal, Eichel, Rantanan have all had a great first 1-3 seasons and could be argued ahead of Getzlaf at the same, close to Bergeron, and right there with Staal too (minus the monster 2nd year anyway)

I don't personally see any reason right now to think the group can't exceed the players you mentioned.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
2015, will be beat 2003, pretty easily.

I disagree. It could beat it, but it has a long way to go beforehand.

had 5 starting goalies : Marc-Andre Fleury, Jimmy Howard, Corey Crawford, Jarosolav Halak, Brian Elliott

had 19 nhl defenceman to play over 200 games : Brent Burns, Shea Weber, Dustin Byfuglien, Ryan Suter, Dion Phaneuf, Brent Seabrook, Tobias Enström, Brayden Coburn, Marc Methot, Kyle Quincey, Kevin Klein, Matt Carle, Jan Hejda, Mark Stuart, Shane O'Brien, Bruno Gervais, Nathan Paetsch, Alexandre Picard, Ryan O'Byrne

had 45 forwards to play over 200 games: Eric Staal, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Patrice Bergeron, Thomas Vanek, Joe Pavelski, Jeff Carter, Zach Parise, Dustin Brown, Ryan Kesler, Loui Eriksson, David Backes, Mike Richards, Lee Stempniak, Milan Michalek, Nathan Horton, Matt Moulson, Clarke Mcarthur, Kyle Brodziak, Patrick Eaves, Nikolai Zherdev, Steve Bernier, Andrei Kostitsyn, Eric Fehr, Brian Boyle, Nate Thompson, Brad Richardson , John Mitchell, David Jones, Patrick O'Sullivan, Maxim Lapierre, Drew Miller, Robert Nilsson, Daniel Carcillo, Nigel Dawes, B.J Crombeen, Dan Fritsche, Anthony Stewart, Tanner Glass, Jeff Tambellini, Kamill Kreps, Chris Porter, Colin Fraser, Zach Stortini, Nick Tarnasky, Paul Bisonette,

Facts: Every first rounder logged games in.
12 Players to hit 70+ points
(Eric Staal, Jeff Carter, Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Thomas Vanek, Zach Parise, Patrice Bergeron, Joe Pavelski, Ryan Kesler, Loui Eriksson, Brent Burns, Mike Richards,)
5 Selkes (Bergeron x4, Kesler)
1 Hart ( Perry )
1 Rocket Richard ( Perry)
1 Norris ( Burns )
1 Masterton ( Boyle)
Many All Star Game Appearances
Multiple Cup Winners
twenty-eight 7 round + players to log games.
Other then Phoenix every team drafted 1 player to play over 200 games.

Incredible Team Drafts

Anaheim : Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Drew Miller, Shane O'Brien
Chicago: Brent Seabrook, Dustin Byfuglien, Corey Crawford, Chris Porter, Lasse Kukkonen
Nashville: Shea Weber, Ryan Suter, Kevin Klein, Alexander Sulzer
Philadelphia: Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Alexandre Picard, Colin Fraser, Ryan Potulny
San Jose : Joe Pavelski, Milan Michalek, Steve Bernier, Matt Carle,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad