2015 Draft - 4th pick: John Marino

OilBuoy

Sep 8, 2006
He was also drafted in the 3rd round by the Halifax Mooseheads last year. Could be possible he plays in the Q with them. They've pumped out some pretty good players lately.

Dec 13, 2010
Just wanted to pop in as I've seen Marino quite a bit over the last couple of years and figured I could give some insight.

For as late as he was picked, Marino has the chance to be a steal. He was one of the top defensemen in the USPHL as a 97, which is tough to do, and has the size to really develop into a good prospect from the right side. Best asset overall is his skating, you'll be hardpressed to find too many kids his height at his age who can skate as well as he does. Adds a bit of offense but isn't overwhelming.

Will not go the Q route because he wants to play for Ted Donato at Harvard. He could easily step in with the Chicago Steel this year but Donato may prefer he stays the year at South Shore. I have a feeling the Oilers won't mind too much either way.

He's a long-term project for sure, but I really like Marino. I've seen him ranked everywhere from 50-100 from the draft class, I'd probably have him around 65 on mine. Most years, Marino's a late-2nd rounder IMO, but because of the depth/craziness of this class he dropped. I also think the fact that he played USPHL instead of a better-known league hurt him a bit. Solid NHL comparable might be John Moore.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Extremely underrated prospect. Kid has wheels, smarts, is a great puck mover, defends well with his stick, and plays physical. Wait until he fills out that scrawny 6'2 frame. He's my dark horse to become a solid NHLer. Reminds me of a smaller Jeff Petry.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Haha accidentally posted this on the Prospect forum...

Anyways here is my John Marino Shift-By-Shift for discussion.

Embedded YouTube videos don't seem to be playing well on mobile.

Here is a link to the video.

Edmonton Prospect Watch

Looks pretty assertive and confident out there which is big for a freshman. Was playing in all situations and the annoucers had a ton of good things to say about him.

Cant say he looked dominant but did look comfortable and confident and smart enough to control play. Will be an interesting follow in the upcoming years

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Extremely underrated prospect. Kid has wheels, smarts, is a great puck mover, defends well with his stick, and plays physical. Wait until he fills out that scrawny 6'2 frame. He's my dark horse to become a solid NHLer. Reminds me of a smaller Jeff Petry.

I got the same vibe watching him this year. This is the kind of guy who could be huge in 3-4 years when the cap crunch becomes a real thing, like TVR in Chicago. Even if he just turns into a bottom pairing DMan, having one on an ELC is a lot better than having to pay 2-3 times that much for a guy in free agency.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I got the same vibe watching him this year. This is the kind of guy who could be huge in 3-4 years when the cap crunch becomes a real thing, like TVR in Chicago. Even if he just turns into a bottom pairing DMan, having one on an ELC is a lot better than having to pay 2-3 times that much for a guy in free agency.

Yeah he definitely doesn't have Petry's shot, but to be fair Petry doesn't use his shot enough anyways. My hope with him is that he plays physical more consistently than Petry, but he's certainly impressed me with how willing he is to get physical despite being under 190lbs. His package of skating, smarts and puck moving are very appealing though and he's going to be developing on a pretty stacked Harvard team.

For once the Oilers actually have a good crop of D prospects with NHL upside, and they finally have enough quality top 4D that these players can be put into positions to succeed at the NHL level when their time comes. Very encouraging to see. I wonder if we'll see Paigin in the AHL next year as well. He's another player that really intrigues me.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
His name sounds like the name of an American football player.

Based on that and that alone I assume he is built like a brick ****house and a bad skater.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He was able to be a depth d-man playing close to 60 games for a cup contender. Lot more than a lot of 4th rounders can say.

Agreed. Id easily take a Chorney type career from Marino. Chorney is still hanging around in the league 12 years post draft

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
He was able to be a depth d-man playing close to 60 games for a cup contender. Lot more than a lot of 4th rounders can say.

The Caps are up the cap and Chorney only costs 800k is why he's still kicking it around. If the Oilers are investing 4-5 years in Marino, I hope he turns out to be better than Chorney

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Marino was a 6th round pick, chorney was a 2nd. A chorney-type career from any 6th rounder is a win

Thanks for the correction. I just saw 4th pick and made a bad assumption.

So that makes it even better if Marino can carve out that type of career.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Caps are up the cap and Chorney only costs 800k is why he's still kicking it around. If the Oilers are investing 4-5 years in Marino, I hope he turns out to be better than Chorney

If this is your expectations with prospects then you are going to be disappointed a lot more than not.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

If you get ~140 games out of a 4th round pick, you're absolutely thrilled if you're an NHL GM. Most defencemen don't get anywhere near that.

For example, let's have a look at defencemen with 100+games taken in the 4th round of a few draft.

2007:

Steve Kampfer: 142 games
Justin Falk: 218 games
Keith Aulie: 167 games

2006:

Korbinian Holzer: 116 games

2005:

Chris Butler: 387 games
Keith Yandle: 735 games
Nik Hjalmarsson: 619 games

Mike Lundin: 252 games

So, that means out of approximately 120 players picked in the 4th round, we have a grand total of two top 4 defencemen.

Temper expectations. Getting a serviceable bottom pairing defenceman in the 4th round is a coup.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If you get ~140 games out of a 4th round pick, you're absolutely thrilled if you're an NHL GM. Most defencemen don't get anywhere near that.

For example, let's have a look at defencemen with 100+games taken in the 4th round of a few draft.

2007:

Steve Kampfer: 142 games
Justin Falk: 218 games
Keith Aulie: 167 games

2006:

Korbinian Holzer: 116 games

2005:

Chris Butler: 387 games
Keith Yandle: 735 games
Nik Hjalmarsson: 619 games

Mike Lundin: 252 games

So, that means out of approximately 120 players picked in the 4th round, we have a grand total of two top 4 defencemen.

Temper expectations. Getting a serviceable bottom pairing defenceman in the 4th round is a coup.

Generally I tend to agree. But after 2 years removed from the 2015 draft, there's no reason not to be excited and expect a better career than Chorney from our prospects like Marino, Bear and Jones. To an extent, Paigin and Berglund.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Why? Teams invest time and effort in all their picks, no matter whether it's the 1st or the 7th round. If a 6th rounder like Marino gets even a sniff, it would be a huge win. A 4th rounder like Chorney that has played 140 games in the bigs is another huge win. How many 4th or 6th rounders do you think play even one game in the NHL? The percentage is incredibly small.As was stated above, if you expect a batch of our lower round picks to play in the NHL, let alone make an impression in it, prepare to be very disappointed.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Why? Teams invest time and effort in all their picks, no matter whether it's the 1st or the 7th round. If a 6th rounder like Marino gets even a sniff, it would be a huge win. A 4th rounder like Chorney that has played 140 games in the bigs is another huge win. How many 4th or 6th rounders do you think play even one game in the NHL? The percentage is incredibly small.As was stated above, if you expect a batch of our lower round picks to play in the NHL, let alone make an impression in it, prepare to be very disappointed.

So what you're saying is we draft players with the expectation of them becoming 4th liners/#6D? I mean these fringe NHL players you can pick up via free agency. Why even wait 5 years?

As for Marino, at this point you don't look at him as a 6th round pick. You look at him as prospect on the raise who has the potential to become a middle pairing D and expect him to exceed that.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Generally I tend to agree. But after 2 years removed from the 2015 draft, there's no reason not to be excited and expect a better career than Chorney from our prospects like Marino, Bear and Jones. To an extent, Paigin and Berglund.

Its just a bad idea to get excited.. People were really excited about Taylor Chorney when he was in college.. it only leads to higher expectations and bigger failures. I will say this though, with the team doing better and our defense being middle of the road. we dont have to rush any of these guys and they will actually get a chance to get worked into the lineup slowly

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad