Post-Game Talk: 2015 All Star Weekend Thread | Fri 1/23 - Sun 1/25 | Draft, Skills Comp and ASG GDT

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ovi cracking everyone up. Awesome

man, someone needs to make a gif of him smiling and then getting suddenly serious. hilarious

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Painfully awkward. Good lord it is hard to watch the league try to make hollywood stars out of players. The players did fine for being stuck in such an awkward show that dragged on for about 2 hours too long. I bailed before Ovi got drafted. What was Pierre doing there?

Outside of a few guys the players seemed really bored. Does anyone think Nick would have wanted to be there?

I am glad that Ovi was the bull in the china shop. I am convinced he did not want to be there. Some vacation. It looks like he may have flipped the bird. I bet he was going to give the car to his latest. He definitely seemed tanked. And looks like he has aged like a president.

http://instagram.com/p/yOBQ0QBok2/?modal=true

Ovi

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Crosby hasn't played in the ASG since 2007. I find that some what absurd. I'm sure the thrill of this is gone for Ovi and that he'd rather be sipping Mai Tais with a supermodel on a warm beach some where but he keeps showing up and does what he can to make it entertaining. Good on him.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
That was hard to watch. From the show dragging on and the majority of players not interested, to the drunk ovie, to the horrible duo who were hosting. I understand the NHL really wants to see its players and make them more recognizable to the general public, but this is a dumb idea.

On top of that, the "draft" version of the all star game is dumb. Nobody cares. Make it east vs west like it should be. Even the N.America vs World was better. Give it some "vs" factor. This is just a better version of the beer league I play on. Random guys splitting up and playing puck.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We watched it. That's what they wanted.

I thought it had its moments. It was obviously too long and Ovi was a bit obnoxious by the end, but meh. East vs West again would be ideal.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

I thought it had its moments. It was obviously too long and Ovi was a bit obnoxious by the end, but meh. East vs West again would be ideal.

Of course you and I watched it, but we were going to anyway. And having said that, I'm not sure I'll be watching again. What they need is to reach the novice hockey fans, and build from there. The fact that I haven't seen commercials or adds anywhere speaks volumes IMO. The NHL has no clue how to build a brand.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything

Ovi did take the bit a little too far, but the rest of the show was a snoozefest, at least with him it kept you guessing a little bit. They should have the fans pick an eastern and western conference captain, then let them draft a team from the entire league within a few limits...

1. Limit number from each team
2. Have to pick 2 rookies
3. Have to take a certain number from each group - F, D, and G

That would make it alot more interesting because players could draft teams that would play similar styles or well together. They could actually put together a checking line for the ASG (or even an entire team of thugs). If the team is hung up on having only "the best" have pick the players who get the "all-star" award, but then make the game a separate entity. That would add interest back into the game.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The NHL really needs to find better people to host these events. I can't recall a single one that hasn't been cringe-worthy.

There's gotta be a charismatic hockey-fan actor (likely Canadian) that would be willing to do it. ****, Dave Coulier would be better than this lot.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If they thought last night was a good way to draw in new fans, it would likely only be fans of the Kardashians. Who now love Ovi, of course. There was more time between picks than the freaking real draft.

The NHL really needs to rethink their approach to marketing.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The breakaway competition is a joke. It's terribad. The goalies flopping around while guys coast in and fumble the puck all over the place....embarassing.

Fastest skater needs to go back to the full rink, full speed format. Accuracy is fine. Hardest shot, fine. Relay, fine. Shootout isn't going anywhere, ok ending.

The NBCSN production has been spotty. Mics dropping out, lame interviews, video overlays blinking out, bland commentary, too many commercials and delays followed by a flurry of poorly set up activity.

Ovie blasting slappers over 100mph...

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
The breakaway competition is a joke. It's terribad. The goalies flopping around while guys coast in and fumble the puck all over the place....embarassing.

Fastest skater needs to go back to the full rink, full speed format. Accuracy is fine. Hardest shot, fine. Relay, fine. Shootout isn't going anywhere, ok ending.

The NBCSN production has been spotty. Mics dropping out, lame interviews, video overlays blinking out, bland commentary, too many commercials and delays followed by a flurry of poorly set up activity.

Ovie blasting slappers over 100mph...

Agree, they need to go back to where it showcased actual skill. The slam dunk contest went belly up when it became a goofy drill. Same with here. showcase guys ability. Full rink skate, puck handling, ect.. I like the passing stuff they have added. No voting bull crap. Make it a true contest so guys will do their best.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
Since I just started watching hockey in 2012 this was my first All-Stars weekend and I'm having a blast. I thought the Fantasy Draft was great. I had a ball watching it. I saw personality in players that I'd never seen before. I didn't dislike Toews for the first time. Ovi was awesome. And other than the horrible guy announcer and the perpetual creepiness that is Pierre, I really enjoyed it. And the skills competition was super-fun to watch too. Maybe because I'm a newer fan and this is all, well, new to me I don't think it's terrible, but yeah, I enjoyed the heck out of all of it and I can't wait to watch the game tonight.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I thought it would have been cool to see Rush the band pulled around the ice by the Zamboni.

Ok off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad