Proposal: 2015-2016 Season Trade Rumours & Proposals | Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Obviously there's a difference right now between Zibby and Duschene and for THEM it's not worth it to downgrade their C for a marginal upgrade like Wiercioch who's nothing more than a 3rd pairing defensemen. Obviously they need something of value to justify making this type of trade because you keep Duschene over Zibby easily if you're Colorado. It's like Ottawa would trade Turris for a lesser centre and a 3rd pairing Dman... just no way you can justify making a trade like this.

Ottawa might not be willing to pay the price to get Duschene and that's fine but Wiercioch is not a quality piece at all and Colorado doesn't NEED to trade Duschene either so it would be incredibly stupid to ask less.

You need to give to get.

Great post!!!

Zibanejad, Wiercioch and...dont see a third piece that the sens would agree to moving that would push the avs over the edge to trade Duchene. I would do Zibanejad, Wier and Puemple but I dont think Colorado does.

Id bet my account that when the conversation started it was Methot + and clearly this team cant do that.

If they deal Duchene they want a top pairing D man coming back.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Acquiring Duchene in these examples is a waste of assets for too small an improvement. A LD for the 2nd pairing would cost a lot less a have a much greater impact on the team.

Since the beginning of last season:
MD = 98-28-38-66
MZ = 96-22-36-58

Honestly, the team had 5 forwards in the top110 last season and 5 in the top65 right now. Top-6 isn't a real need, especially given the ages of the players we're talking about.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Would Ottawa entertain a deal like Perron + Scuderi for Cowen + 2nd?

I don't know if you guys even have a 2nd.

i) yes, we have our 2nd round pick this year
ii) that sounds like something our management would probably do (or at least strongly consider), regardless of how people here personally feel about it... though we'd probably try and talk you down to a 3rd or 4th rounder though by including a depth prospect.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Not a chance. Not that a Cowen is a world beater, but we already have a Scuderi we don't want to play in Phillips, and Perron is not a big enough, or an upgrade at all in the top 6.

HoffmanIsGod68

Mar 1, 2015
Cornwall, Ontario

We have Hoffman, Stone, Ryan, and MacArthur as our top 6 wingers when healthy. Puempel, Prince, and Michalek are all interchangeable at the #2 LW spot. Perron does not help us in any manner, and a big floppy NO to Scuderi.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
I honestly don't want us to make any trades for forwards, even for an upgrade. I feel like, top-to-bottom, we have one of the strongest groups in the NHL. We usually have at least 2 lines going, be it 1+3, 2+4, 1+2, or whatever, which is actually really awesome. Obviously something like Duchesne is better than Zibanejad right now, but the team seems to click (even if they aren't playing that well right now).

I feel like our forward troubles are related to our defense and ability to hold pressure. Ottawa is in a really unfortunate short-term position. By this I mean that even though our forwards are as close to ideal as most teams could ask for (apart from something like Dallas or Pittsburgh), and our top-pairing D are also one of the best in the NHL, I view our defense like this in an ideal scenario at their current abilities (Ceci and Cowen may improve, but right now they are perfectly suited for the following:

D1 - Karlsson
D2 - Methot

D3 - X
D4 - Ceci

D5 - X
D6 - Cowen

We have an internal budget, so we can't really sign a big guy without shedding a contract like Michalek or Phillips. The second will eventually be gone, and Michalek will be as well, so we can hopefully pick someone up in the off-season (but we never ever do)

Even if we had the money and wanted to upgrade right now, the only players we could trade for any value are ones that would hurt this team if they left now (our top-6), or our guys like Prince, Puemple, ect. who I don't think we should trade, as they are going to have to replace Michalek and Neil in a few years, and BM seems to be pretty decent with retaining guys for budget (when necessary).

I think the best course of action is to just wait things out with this team til the off-season (and until Chabot can come up and take the number 5/6 spot in a year or 2). I don't know if anyone else sees it, but this team is SO close to being amazing. It's literally 2 defensemen away. They don't even have to be phenomenal guys, just someone a little better than Ceci, and another who is a little better than Cowen. (Hell, even if they are equal to those 2 we'd be more consistent).

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
IMO ceci should be bottom paring on a good team and methot should be second pairing. Stil not sure if Cowen would be used consistently on a good team.

We need two top 4 dmen or a top pairing dman

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
IMO ceci should be bottom paring on a good team and methot should be second pairing. Stil not sure if Cowen would be used consistently on a good team.

We need two top 4 dmen or a top pairing dman

In an ideal world, we definitely go for the top 4 D over an upgrade at forward. 100% agreement.

If Duchene is available, I don't think there is a D available who is a difference maker the size I believe Duchene would be with Ryan.

But yes, I would love to get a top 4 D to get Cowen on the third pairing and Boro and Wier out of the lineup.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

thursday's insider trading segment created a buzz around the nhl with news the colorado avalanche is considering trading matt duchene.

Credit to long-time avs beat writer adrian dater for putting us on this trail. As we reported, there has been conversation between ottawa and colorado, and some believe that as long as the avalanche are willing to keep duchene in trade conversations, the sens - as well as other teams - will continue to listen and investigate the possibilities.

Duchene displayed his talent on thursday night, scoring the game-winning goal in a 3-2 win over boston.

It seems unlikely avs general manager joe sakic will move duchene. Sakic might be using duchene’s name as fodder in trade discussions that could lead to an entirely different move involving different players.

The reality is, colorado is feeling the pain of past decisions to trade ryan o'reilly rather than sign him, and allowing paul stastny to get scooped by the st louis blues as a free agent. The avs may have been able to manage without one of the two players, but not having either has taken a toll.

There doesn't appear to be a sense of desperation in colorado, but there has been an ample amount of frustration which may have prompted sakic to start making calls. Ottawa is equally frustrated from the top down, so the two teams potentially doing business makes a lot of sense.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I honestly don't want us to make any trades for forwards, even for an upgrade. I feel like, top-to-bottom, we have one of the strongest groups in the NHL. We usually have at least 2 lines going, be it 1+3, 2+4, 1+2, or whatever, which is actually really awesome. Obviously something like Duchesne is better than Zibanejad right now, but the team seems to click (even if they aren't playing that well right now).

I feel like our forward troubles are related to our defense and ability to hold pressure. Ottawa is in a really unfortunate short-term position. By this I mean that even though our forwards are as close to ideal as most teams could ask for (apart from something like Dallas or Pittsburgh), and our top-pairing D are also one of the best in the NHL, I view our defense like this in an ideal scenario at their current abilities (Ceci and Cowen may improve, but right now they are perfectly suited for the following:

D1 - Karlsson
D2 - Methot

D3 - X
D4 - Ceci

D5 - X
D6 - Cowen

We have an internal budget, so we can't really sign a big guy without shedding a contract like Michalek or Phillips. The second will eventually be gone, and Michalek will be as well, so we can hopefully pick someone up in the off-season (but we never ever do)

Even if we had the money and wanted to upgrade right now, the only players we could trade for any value are ones that would hurt this team if they left now (our top-6), or our guys like Prince, Puemple, ect. who I don't think we should trade, as they are going to have to replace Michalek and Neil in a few years, and BM seems to be pretty decent with retaining guys for budget (when necessary).

I think the best course of action is to just wait things out with this team til the off-season (and until Chabot can come up and take the number 5/6 spot in a year or 2). I don't know if anyone else sees it, but this team is SO close to being amazing. It's literally 2 defensemen away. They don't even have to be phenomenal guys, just someone a little better than Ceci, and another who is a little better than Cowen. (Hell, even if they are equal to those 2 we'd be more consistent).

Hey coolguyDave, please spell Cowen correctly, here's the correct spelling.

D5 - X
D6 - X

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
oh right it was dater who first reported it. forgot that part. still wouldn't be surprised if BM called him after the conversation to tell him all about it.:laugh:

Man you're embarrassing...

So when you're proven wrong on your crap comments about Murray you laugh it off move the goalposts and still congratulate yourself.

So many of your posts are pure jokes, lay another on us about Tim Murray...

End rant.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Rumours are rumours. I am sticking to the opinion that there is absolutely NO CHANCE that Chabot is traded, especially not for Duchene. Chabot is on a path to be as much on an impact player on our team as Duchene is on his, and people are talking about adding Zib and a first???

As for Bobby Mac's comment, so many of these are offhand, and not entirely insightful. I mean saying that we could move any defenceman not named EK or Methot (and I'd add Ceci to the mix) is the same as saying we are willing to move a mediocre defenceman in a trade for an upgrade.

Chabot is not in the mix, no chance.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
So we're the 5th best for goals for, and 4th worst in goals against, and Murray wants to trade a defenseman for a top 6 forward?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad