Prospect Info: 2015-2016 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part I* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 11/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
With Fogarty, it's always been about his point totals around here. Nothing more.

It's ridiculous absolutely ridiculous. Talent and skill with the puck only get you so far, you need a brain to play this game, a lot of people keep forgetting, or they just don't get it.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
IDK about Fogarty being the NCAA equivalent of an over-age player. Tons of kids play all four years and most teams have numerous guys that are 22, and many have guys that are 23 and 24. Staying all four years is a typical progression for many (most?) players, and it's definitely not equivalent to playing your age 20 season against 16 and 17 year old kids in Canadian juniors.

He's an overager in a sense because he's a year older than most seniors. That gives him multiple advantages: better developed body, more experience, greater maturity.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Lots of college players these days start their freshman years at 20-21. If they do their 4 they graduate at 24 or 25. Fogarty figures to be 23 when he turns pro. I don't look at him as overage--I look at his progression as just about right. Making one of the better college programs as an 18 year old these days is not easy. Lots of players take another year or two in the USHL or one of the Canadian feeder leagues like the BCHL. Fogarty did a year in the BCHL with all the Reilly's on the same team--including Mike who was the big deal free agent signing by the Minnesota Wild this summer.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's an overager in a sense because he's a year older than most seniors. That gives him multiple advantages: better developed body, more experience, greater maturity.

When Notre Dame plays Providence, the Friars could ice 10 guys Fogarty's age or older. Vermont has 14 guys meeting that criteria. UNH has nine. Etc., etc. He's just about your average NCAA senior, maybe a tiny bit older than average. The gap between an over-age and regular player in juniors is substantial and not at all comparable to the gap between Fogarty and other Seniors in the NCAA.

College hockey players are often a year or two behind their non-hockey-playing counterparts. Lots of guys start at 19 or 20 now.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...College hockey players are often a year or two behind their non-hockey-playing counterparts. Lots of guys start at 19 or 20 now.

Exactly right, many of the NCAA kids who are not blue chip, and hope they are serious about trying for a pro career, play junior in US, or with teams like Fogarty's Penticiton until age 20.
They are more ready, and coaches know more about them. that's why a kid like Bodie, a month into pro season 2, is already 25 - he didn't matriculate at Union until he was already 20.
Common exceptions are US kids like Haggerty who play for USNTDP.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It's ridiculous absolutely ridiculous. Talent and skill with the puck only get you so far, you need a brain to play this game, a lot of people keep forgetting, or they just don't get it.

The fact that he's been one of the best shutdown centers in the NCAA for the last 3 years doesn't mean much unless he's scoring at a PPG clip. :sarcasm:

It's been painful over the last few years to watch Fogarty generate plays, only to watch Herr and Wuthrich fumble the puck. Now that he's skating with Lucia, and Herr has finally regained feeling in his stone hands, he's starting to show more production offensively.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

ehhhhh at that age I'm not sure there's really a large difference in terms of physical attributes etc. 18 years old versus 23 years old, sure. 22 vs 23? I'm skeptical

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
whats the deal with kovacs' teammate stromwall? 21 years old and 17 goals in 20 games.

I remember him being a beast in NHL 11.

Does he have a solid two way game that can allow him to be an asset on an NHL team, or is he all shot and nothing else?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Zborovskiy and Gropp scored goals. Iverson scored two goals. Morrison continued his **** year and was scoreless again.

Fogarty was scoreless. Nieves made his return and had two assists. Nanne still hasn't played.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
7 straight games with a point for Iverson and 8 out of 9. Something like that.

Yeah he has been doing well statistically of late. On pace for 50-some-odd points, which would be just fine for him. I'm gonna try to watch his next game.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
This sounds good for the NHL, but pedestrian for WHL, no?

point totals are, but those goal totals arent. does seattle play on nhl net much? it be nice to catch a game rather than check the box score. barzal is so good that he could be inflating teammates stats.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Your team is bound to win most of their games when the goalie gives up 1.1 goals per game. Shesterkin is just dominant at the VHL level, which - as I argued above in this thread - should be at least on par with the ECHL level.

BTW, here are VHL stats: http://www.betexplorer.com/hockey/russia/vhl/stats/

There are just a shade under 5 goals per game in the VHL, so Shesterkin's GAA is less than half of the average VHL goalie. Honestly, I doubt that Lundqvist would be able to make up those kinds of numbers if he got sent down to the AHL.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Zborovskiy and Gropp scored goals. Iverson scored two goals. Morrison continued his **** year and was scoreless again.

Fogarty was scoreless. Nieves made his return and had two assists. Nanne still hasn't played.

He'll be fine. You're just seeing stats, and not seeing enough, but he's fine. He had three points tonight, so there's a start.

He's effective just about every game (every home game I've seen). Really good vision, he's very good at protecting the puck given his frame, he has hands...man does he ever have good hands. He dances around and puts it through defenders skates and sticks with ease.

The points will come, they will. I believe he has been regulated to the second PP unit though, but he seems to be the catalyst for it. Don't fret too much about the lack of points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad