2015/2016 - One Surprise, One Disappointment

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Would Holden and Berra staying regulars in their spots be a surprise or disappointment, or both? Cause I'm still thinking that we'll see a good 10-20 games of Holden and Barrie, even if we break camp with Zads-Barrie; while I can't imagine Pickard taking the back up gig from Berra until Berra has **** the bed big time again.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Surprise: The Colorado Avalanche rebound after a bad season and make the playoffs.

Disappointment: The Colorado Avalanche miss the playoffs again because that central division is just too tough.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
NHL Surprises: Comeau and Sodenberg (couldn't decide)

NHL Disappointment: Iginla

AHL Surprise: Martinsen

AHL Disappointment: Siemens

Prospect Surprise: Greer

Prospect Disappointment: Pepin

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
nhl surprise-- Blake Comeau. He's a random "depth signing" after the big FA splash of paying big money for an aging Beauchemin, but I think he's a harder worker with more skill than most on here are crediting him. He strikes me a someone who will fill in admirably for an early injury to our top six this season. I know Pittsburgh was a little thin with depth last year, but this guy did show enough grit for them to play him with Malkin. I certainly will be eating my words if he gets stuck with Johnny Malkin this season.

nhl dissapointment--Everberg. Everberg shows the same tenacity we saw from him last season, but due to contracts with so many of our bottom sixers that are one way and a rebound in health to the likes of Bordeleau and Winchester, on top of the fact that grigs will be given a bigger chance than he deserves with his one way contract, Everberg assumes a roll playing full time for our new ahl affiliate in SA. As sad as this is short term, this allows him to develop his offensive touch playing a bigger role in top 6 minutes and in the long run benefits the avs :naughty:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Surprise: Soderberg. The type of pure playmaker that we lacked last year. Will be a stud next to Landy and Mac.

Disappointment: Everberg. I don't think he'll play much in the NHL next year. I don't think we had much choice last year, but I feel we have more depth this year and that he might have an entire AHL year to develop his scoring abilities.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Surprise: NHL - soderberg. I think he's going to get 60 points. He is playing with his best line mates of his career and everyone is talking smack about him.

Prospect: Siemens. I think he will be the first injury call up and he won't be back down again.

Disappointment

NHL: Berra. I'm not expecting much bur the guy has a ton of confidence and played well down the stretch. I think he will come in talking the talk but will just be brutal. Which sucks cause he seems like a nice guy and avs need those points.

Prospect: I don't know enough to be set up for disappointment.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Pleasant surprises:
NHL: Grigorenko...I am betting he digs in and really does something with his prove it contract. Earns his way either on to Duchene's wing, or centering LandyMack. Second choice here with The Old Flames, for not aging as poorly as some here seem to think they will.
AHL: Martinsen...was not sure where he fit AHL/Prospect-wise, but at 25, I figured this was OK. I think he figures out how to play small ice quick and does well.
Prospect: Boikov...next to no expectations make it easy to see a good development season as a nice surprise.

Disappointments:
NHL: EJ..I think his production rate drops from last year, due to shooting percentage...it was over double his career average.
AHL: Guenin...simply because he wont be in San Antonio where he belongs
Prospect: Bleackley...I think he stagnates for another year (year after, in SA, he lights it up).

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Surprise: Reto Berra
I know you guys got him pegged to suck, but just you wait. He's going to be a good backup option for us next season and force Pickard back to the AHL in training camp.

Disappointment: John Mitchell
I think that with Duchene and Soderberg as 1/2, and Grigorenko likely going to get every chance to succeed at the 3, we'll see Mitchell become less motivated and revert back to his old Johnny Malkin ways, to the detriment of the team.

Matheus

Jan 22, 2015
Rio Grande Do Sul
NHL Surprise: Grigs- will start out of top 6 but the poor play of our top line will lead him to up and he will finally reach a part of his potential.
Evenberg - will become a regular 3rd liner and a ton of PK (30 points this year)

NHL Disappointment: Iggy he will be ok but the age will affect a lot his game.
Duchene - without a partner he will suffer ( hoping Rants make team and play with him)

AHL Surprise: Rendulic, will become our top forward in SA
AHL Disappointment - Siemens will suffer a lot to maintain his space and TOI with a rooster full of talent

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Surprises:
Grigo - me thinks Roy will get the best out of him
Everberg - puts up close to 15-25 for 40 points (couldn't pick between the 2)
Hamilton - close to ppg
Olhaver - has a really good year in the CHL and people start to take notice

Disappointments:
Barrie - has a little bit of a reality check
Siemens - gets bumped down to 3rd pair by end of year
Greer - just way too much hype for him acting like his production will do a complete 180, will get better but not close to the hype he is getting

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I love me some Everberg but if he scores 40 points next year then he might need to get tested for PED's.

I personally think he has the talent to do it. He just needs more time to hone his skills and work on his skating a bit and get a little stronger. That would be a huge jump for one year. Given the opportunity, I think he tops around 35-40 pts.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I love me some Everberg but if he scores 40 points next year then he might need to get tested for PED's.

With the right line mates he should be able to get 25 assists. The 15 goals is a reach, but that would be the surprise.

What does PEDs have to do with anything? He lacks a scoring touch. That's a skill problem, not an athletic one.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Y'all keeping doubting Iggy (again). He'll prove you wrong (again).

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
iggy was 37 last season, scoring 29 in 82.

doctor recchi scored 28 goals (83gp) in 05-06, at 37 yrs old. he scored 24 next season (in 82gp).

mike knuble scored 29 in 69 at 37. next season 24 in 79.

brett hull scored 30 at 37. then 37 the following season...

mike gartner scored 32 goals at 37, then only 12 in 60 the following year and retired.

homer 25 in 68, then 18 in 73.

MSL had 17 during the lockout year and cracked 30 the next year.

there are some other comps and some of the fell off the cliff after 37 but they either played more physical style than iggy or lockouts ruined good comps.

so most 37 year olds who have scored around 30 at 37 within the past 20 years, did well the following year. but year after that, they fell off the cliff.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
What does PEDs have to do with anything? He lacks a scoring touch. That's a skill problem, not an athletic one.
It was a joke.

I'd be happy with 25 points from Everberg. I don't see how he could hit 40 unless he's getting PP time, which I can't see. I'm scared he'll get pushed out of the lineup because of his contract.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It was a joke.

I'd be happy with 25 points from Everberg. I don't see how he could hit 40 unless he's getting PP time, which I can't see. I'm scared he'll get pushed out of the lineup because of his contract.

i wouldn't mind if he gets pushed to SA if we sign one more top9F for 1 yr deal. there's still plenty of them available. everberg can be the first callup and would still get to play a lot with injuries and such.

only 26 players got 40 points 5on5 last season. pretty much all 1st liners. worst of them were iggy, hubs, foligno...

parise, malkin, hossa, landeskog, ovechkin didn't even crack that 40 points (i guess some have with SH and EN points though).

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
It was a joke.

I know. Just not sure how the joke is relevant. If Everberg was slow and soft it would make sense to me.

I really doubt he gets pushed out of the lineup. Roy loves the guy. And he is just plain better than some of the other options.

Only 26? Wow, a lot less than I thought.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
One of Everberg's issues was he needed to build strength. He showed a bit more skill in the AHL so I don't really know what sort of ceiling to peg for him.

Presuming everyone is healthy there are 14 forwards even without Rantanen so someone has to go, even more if they keep him. So I actually do think Everberg will be the odd one out. If he goes it won't be for long though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I personally think he has the talent to do it. He just needs more time to hone his skills and work on his skating a bit and get a little stronger. That would be a huge jump for one year. Given the opportunity, I think he tops around 35-40 pts.

I just don't see that caliber of skill. He uses his size well to shield the puck and is a nifty passer, but he doesn't drive the play enough to be that much of a playmaker to hit those totals. He's more of a secondary assist kind of guy. And his goal-scoring touch would have to improves absolutely massively cause now all he can deliver are tip-ins and the most garbagest of garbage goals. I like Everbeast a lot, but those numbers are what he could hit in a career year after he's bulked up and gotten more used to NA-ice.

Rendulic is the euro-import who has the kind of talent to produce McGinn type numbers...at least if he can translate his skill in year two on the little ice.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I definitely know why you'd say that based on their skill sets but look at their AHL scoring. I know, SS but interesting nonetheless. So I don't know that Everberg's offensive capability is exactly known yet and it's not the end of the world if he has to go down for a little bit.

Everberg 12GP 5G 2A 7P
Rendulic 26GP 4G 4A 8P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad