2015-2016 News Around The NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
It's only preseason but man did Rantenen look impressive last night vs. Calgary. Great hockey IQ defensively and offensively, making plays all night long both ways. 6'4'' and skates really well. He looks totally ready for primetime.

One can only hope we get something like that out of Crouse.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Ivan Barbashev

I see the Blues assigned him to the AHL. How does a 19 year old who won't be twenty until December get a pass to the AHL? I would think he needs to go back to juniors.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I see the Blues assigned him to the AHL. How does a 19 year old who won't be twenty until December get a pass to the AHL? I would think he needs to go back to juniors.

I thought the rule was if you're 20 before January 1, you're eligible for the AHL. Not positive, though.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I thought the rule was if you're 20 before January 1, you're eligible for the AHL. Not positive, though.
You're right. That's why Hawryluk had to go back to juniors when his birthday was 1/1/96.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
I think maybe because, even tho he was playing in the Q, he was a Euro import and gets a pass? I'm lazy to look it up, but that's my guess.

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
Yeah, IIRC the rule only applies to NA players.

And only to juniors who were drafted by one of canadien junior leagues, deal between those and NHL. All it needs that junior challenges it in court system, preventing somebody practice his labor, same way as what happened with NHL draft decades ago. Probably will not happen, salaries in AHL are not so lucrative.

JOL

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I think maybe because, even tho he was playing in the Q, he was a Euro import and gets a pass? I'm lazy to look it up, but that's my guess.

Yeah, IIRC the rule only applies to NA players.
Nationality doesn't matter, it's the league you're playing in when you get drafted. So even if you're a European player, if you were drafted from the CHL, the same rules apply to you. But as IMC explained, Barbashev turns 20 before the cut-off date.

Dallas managed to find a loophole with Julius Honka last year, since he had a contract with JYP and was only loaned to Swift Current Broncos, therefore making him eligible for the AHL. Though I'd imagine that the NHL has fixed that loophole by now.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Zach Hyman still up with the Leafs? Anyone know how he's done?

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Flash signs one year deal with MTL

It's funny how Montreal fans are praising the signing now, only destined to absolutely despise it around the 3/4 mark of the season.

Yes, that's reasonable thinking. I, on the other hand, thought Shore could easily replace Bolland for 10% of the cost.

Here's your only problem. Shore is an AHLer with a little NHL experience. On the other hand, Bolland is an NHLer with a little bit of AHL experience.

I won't like what he gets paid, but I'll take the NHLer ahead of the AHLer in that particular situation.

They sent him down to the Marlies today.

-ghoste

His daddy probably isn't too happy with that move.

Last edited:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Here's your only problem. Shore is an AHLer with a little NHL experience. On the other hand, Bolland is an NHLer with a little bit of AHL experience.

I won't like what he gets paid, but I'll take the NHLer ahead of the AHLer in that particular situation.
I'd rather have Barkov, Bjugstad, Shore down the middle than Barkov, Bjustad, Bolland. Nothing Bolland brings to the table that Shore couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad