2015-2016 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
CHN Pre-Season All Americans

Another year of college hockey is right around the corner!

Media polls have the following teams winning their respective conferences:

Robert Morris (AHA)
Michigan (B1G)
Yale/Harvard (ECAC)
Boston College (HEA)
Minnesota-Duluth (NCHC)
Mankato (WCHA)

Tough season to read for the Gophers. Goaltending will obviously be the big question. Quite a few major departures, with Rau and Reilly topping that list. Really looking for Kloos and Fasching to be the leaders this year.

Ski-U-Mah!

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Lots of good freshmen coming in for UND. Add in a new coach and potentially the final year of being just "North Dakota" and it all adds up to being a memorable season.

Gundee1114

Aug 4, 2011
Minnesota
Lots of good freshmen coming in for UND. Add in a new coach and potentially the final year of being just "North Dakota" and it all adds up to being a memorable season.

Glad Caggiula stayed. I hoped (probably foolishly) that Zane was gonna stay and/or (definitely foolishly) that Auston Matthews was gonna go the NCAA route and pick us over Denver. Boeser looks exciting and should be a goal scoring machine.

Personally, probably gonna vote for Fighting Hawks of the nicknames left available. :(

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Glad Caggiula stayed. I hoped (probably foolishly) that Zane was gonna stay and/or (definitely foolishly) that Auston Matthews was gonna go the NCAA route and pick us over Denver. Boeser looks exciting and should be a goal scoring machine.

Personally, probably gonna vote for Fighting Hawks of the nicknames left available. :(

A rumor is currently going around campus that "leadership" has already decided on North Stars and is holding the vote as a sham that will end up with North Stars no matter what.

Probably a conspiracy theory with nothing to back it up, but it wouldn't really surprise me if it was true based on all the dumb stuff that has happened in the last few years regarding this stuff.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
As usual, NCHC will be a dogfight. I can see 5 teams as potentials to win it if things go their way.
Hope we can get 6 teams in again.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
A rumor is currently going around campus that "leadership" has already decided on North Stars and is holding the vote as a sham that will end up with North Stars no matter what.

Probably a conspiracy theory with nothing to back it up, but it wouldn't really surprise me if it was true based on all the dumb stuff that has happened in the last few years regarding this stuff.
Yeah, the whole ordeal has been a real clown show.

Gundee1114

Aug 4, 2011
Minnesota

Oh man, I hope not.

North Stars - We'd be the North Dakota North Stars which doesn't roll off the tongue that well, and as Minnesota is sometimes called the North Star State I just have never liked the idea, even before bringing up the old NHL team.

Roughriders - Not only does the local High School use this one already, but going from the Sioux to something named after Teddy Roosevelt who was a massive racist towards Native Americans would be a terrible, terrible idea.

Sundogs - I've talked to so many students up here who think this means we'd be a dog that is essentially on fire. Not what it actually is, which is a halo of light surrounding the sun when it's super cold. Personally not a fan.

NoDaks - Honestly, I think this is only still an option to give the "we want to remain UND/North Dakota" crowd an option to vote for as that's pretty much what it's saying, just takes longer to do so.

and finally

Fighting Hawks - Another variation of the Hawk nickname in the NCAA, joining Miami and Lowell. Keeps Fighting in the name, which obviously isn't the point but I know some people who has said they'll go with it for that reason. Probably the only one that we could get a decent logo out of IMO (unless we actually did do a flaming dog for Sundogs :laugh: )

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I'm an alum and I want the teams and school to just be know as the University of North Dakota.

Losing a name that many felt a strong connection to, I just don't know why it makes sense to be known as anything else. You have a strong color palate and crest, University of North Dakota is good enough to stand on it's own, IMO.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Big Ten needs to add some more programs. I miss Notre Dame being in the same conference as Michigan and Michigan State.

Maybe in time Northwestern, Illinois, and/or Iowa add hockey programs.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Big Ten needs to add some more programs. I miss Notre Dame being in the same conference as Michigan and Michigan State.

Maybe in time Northwestern, Illinois, and/or Iowa add hockey programs.

Meh, Notre Dame doesn't move the needle for me at all. Their arena always seems dull when the Gophers play there. I suppose because South Bend doesn't even realize it has a hockey team until after Christmas (or whenever the football team is done).

But you're right, the B1G needs at least two more teams. 6 is too small, but 8 is do-able.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Still think they should go back to being the Flickertails :sarcasm:

Well, this columnist makes a convincing argument for Nodaks: http://www.inforum.com/sports/3845514-nelson-theres-only-one-logical-choice-unds-nickname

My vote:

Nodaks. That’s who we are; that’s who we’ve always been. Plain and simple, much like the state.

The other day, I saw an old photo of the late Fritz Pollard Jr., one of the school’s greatest athletes. And we should never forget what Pollard accomplished while a student at UND. He was one of 18 black athletes, including Jesse Owens, who qualified for Team USA that competed in the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin.

He won a bronze medal in the 110 hurdles in Berlin, helping destroy the Nazi belief in Aryan supremacy. Then he returned to UND.

The letters on his UND track jersey? Nodaks.

Flipping Hitler the bird by being an awesome athlete? That's some solid ****ing history right there.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I feel like the NHL as a whole is seeing a much bigger impact by college players.

I'd actually be interested to see the numbers on how many college players are in the league now vs. 10 or 15 years ago.
College Hockey Inc. is always tweeting out those infographics, but I didn't see one for 2015-16 camps, so HERE's the 2014-15 one (23% in 2004 vs 31% in 2014) and then ANOTHER that shows the Wild had the fourth-most NCAA-influenced roster in history last season with 46.7% of their GP by NCAA alums. (Rangers had more with 53.7% in 2014-15.)

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
College Hockey Inc. is always tweeting out those infographics, but I didn't see one for 2015-16 camps, so HERE's the 2014-15 one (23% in 2004 vs 31% in 2014) and then ANOTHER that shows the Wild had the fourth-most NCAA-influenced roster in history last season with 46.7% of their GP by NCAA alums. (Rangers had more with 53.7% in 2014-15.)

Aah, yes, I've seen those before. Thanks!

Almost a 10 percent increase in the last decade of all NHL players, that's pretty significant. While it does suck losing guys early, it's cool to see them go on to play in the NHL.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
I'm an alum and I want the teams and school to just be know as the University of North Dakota.

Losing a name that many felt a strong connection to, I just don't know why it makes sense to be known as anything else. You have a strong color palate and crest, University of North Dakota is good enough to stand on it's own, IMO.

Plus, it's rather original. Seemingly everyone has a mascot, and nothing is going to stop people from chanting "Sioux" at games.

My friend's dad is an alum as well (and native North Dakotan) as are several of his family, and they all wanted it to just be North Dakota.

It seems like wanting marketing money for me somewhat, rather than just leaving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad