Speculation: 2015-2016 Minnesota Wild Prospect Rankings - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Another A/B situation with Reilly and Graovac.

Both 2011 draftees

Reilly
Led all NCAA DI defensemen in scoring and was a Hobey Baker finalist at 21 years old
Likely 3rd pairing D

Graovac
Was a top 50 scorer in the AHL at 21 years old
Likely #3C

Graovac's likely future spot is more important than Reilly's, but I think Reilly has a very slightly better chance to end up higher than a 3rd pair than Graovac does to end up higher than a #3C.

Very, very close, but I'm giving it to Reilly. Graovac is definitely my #4.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Been going Reilly since #1, so Reilly again.

Might even argue Olofsson over both Tuch and Ek

I would disagree. I mean, Olofsson has the potential but I personally would take into account him missing an entire year to shoulder injury. He is already a raw project and Tuch and Ek had very good seasons while Olofsson had to sit it out.

But he'll probably on my list of consideration after Reilly.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I would disagree. I mean, Olofsson has the potential but I personally would take into account him missing an entire year to shoulder injury. He is already a raw project and Tuch and Ek had very good seasons while Olofsson had to sit it out.

But he'll probably on my list of consideration after Reilly.

Agreed, a lost year of development is big, especially for a project player.

Tuch isn't a project at all, has easily projectible size/skill, and dominated on his College team as a freshman. Even when you consider Olofsson's harder to learn position, you cannot say the same for his prior year (though at least it was solid, but it concerned the Wild enough to turn him pro so they could control what he's taught instead).

No such concerns on Tuch's development, in fact he skyrocketed as a player after coming out of his former linemate's shadows.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Think Graovac is gonna be a better player than Mike Reilly.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Think Graovac is gonna be a better player than Mike Reilly.

I agree with this. I wonder how many of the current 38 votes for Reilly are gopher fans. They got to see him more than us so maybe they see something.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I agree with this. I wonder how many of the current 38 votes for Reilly are gopher fans. They got to see him more than us so maybe they see something.

I admitted as much when I voted for him #1, maybe a bit of bias in my end. But his offensive game, for a defenseman, it's fantastic. And he's such a smooth skater.

The part that worries me is obviously his defense. Which is why I advocated for him to spend the entire year in the AHL.

If his defense improves, I think he'll be a very solid NHLer

J22*

I'm not 100% sold on Reilly translating to the NHL, but right now being a dominant player in the NCAA is a better accomplishment than anybody else on that list has on their resume.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm not 100% sold on Reilly translating to the NHL, but right now being a dominant player in the NCAA is a better accomplishment than anybody else on that list has on their resume.

Plenty of dominant college players have fizzled out at the NHL level. Especially when they're defenders who can't play defense. As of right now I consider Graovacs season in the AHL to be more impressive than anything Mike Reilly has done.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I admitted as much when I voted for him #1, maybe a bit of bias in my end. But his offensive game, for a defenseman, it's fantastic. And he's such a smooth skater.

The part that worries me is obviously his defense. Which is why I advocated for him to spend the entire year in the AHL.

If his defense improves, I think he'll be a very solid NHLer
This is the part that worries me as well, especially since he's almost being guaranteed a spot in the NHL. If Yeo doesn't want to break up the top 4 that leaves Dumba, Reilly, and Prosser for the bottom pairing. In the defensive zone that could spell major trouble. Now if we rock a Scandella-Dumba and Reilly-Spurgeon bottom 4 that would be a bit better and we could spread the TOI for all three pairings pretty evenly. Here's to hoping his defense becomes above average :cheers:
The only people I could possibly see ahead of Reilly are Tuch, Ek, Graovac and Olofsson. Tuch and Ek are already guaranteed. Olofsson just lost a year so he's out IMO. It comes down to dominance in NCAA D1 vs 20 goal scorer in the AHL. Both Graovac and Reilly are 22.

J22*

Plenty of dominant college players have fizzled out at the NHL level. Especially when they're defenders who can't play defense. As of right now I consider Graovacs season in the AHL to be more impressive than anything Mike Reilly has done.

I have no problem with anybody ranking Graovac ahead of Reilly, and I think the kid will turn into a solid player, but I see nothing impressive about Graovac's season last year.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I have no problem with anybody ranking Graovac ahead of Reilly, and I think the kid will turn into a solid player, but I see nothing impressive about Graovac's season last year.

Only 6 of the 50 players ahead of him in scoring were same age or younger. It was impressive.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
If nothing else... atleast Graovac is going to give Haula a run for his money for that #3C spot, further increasing the chances that Coyle goes back to RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad