Line Combos: 2015-2016 Line Combos Thread

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I agree that the Wild should be looking at Prosser as the #7, and I agree that Leopold was better with Dumba than Prosser was. I can't agree with the bolded. Prosser is a legit bottom pairing dman. I bet it would be hard to name 10 teams that have 6 dmen that are better than him. He would've been the #5 for the Hawks all of last season, and I think it's fair to consider them contenders.

If that was the case, he wouldn't have been on waivers to go to the AHL before the Wild bailed him out last season.

This season, he wouldn't have had to accept near league minimum after the start of free agency.

This guy went most of last year's offseason without even getting signed before the Blues finally inked him, and then wanted him in the minors after camp.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I agree that the Wild should be looking at Prosser as the #7, and I agree that Leopold was better with Dumba than Prosser was. I can't agree with the bolded. Prosser is a legit bottom pairing dman. I bet it would be hard to name 10 teams that have 6 dmen that are better than him. He would've been the #5 for the Hawks all of last season, and I think it's fair to consider them contenders.

If Prosser was a legit bottom pairing defensemen, he wouldn't have settled for the first league minimum deal he was offered.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Just going off foggy memory but didn't we have like a ridic better winning record when he was in the lineup?

wasn't he like pretty good in the +/- cat too?

I think hes a fine #6, just prefer him on the right side of his pairing, but id rather plug n Prosser for 10-12 mins a game than Reilly/Folin/Olofsson.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Just going off foggy memory but didn't we have like a ridic better winning record when he was in the lineup?

wasn't he like pretty good in the +/- cat too?

I think hes a fine #6, just prefer him on the right side of his pairing, but id rather plug n Prosser for 10-12 mins a game than Reilly/Folin/Olofsson.
Spotty play here and there for the most part... he's fine with spotty play... he gets exposed by consistently being in the lineup.

He's a #7 who can play will when others are injured... you do not go into a season wanting him as your #6.

J22*

If that was the case, he wouldn't have been on waivers to go to the AHL before the Wild bailed him out last season.

This season, he wouldn't have had to accept near league minimum after the start of free agency.

This guy went most of last year's offseason without even getting signed before the Blues finally inked him, and then wanted him in the minors after camp.

If Prosser was a legit bottom pairing defensemen, he wouldn't have settled for the first league minimum deal he was offered.

Fair points, but you have to be careful judging players by their contracts.

I am not arguing that Prosser is a great dman. I am not even arguing that I want him as the #6. My only argument is that Prosser would be the #6 on a lot of teams, so to say he isn't near that level of a player isn't fair. IMO

Spotty play here and there for the most part... he's fine with spotty play... he gets exposed by consistently being in the lineup.

He's a #7 who can play will when others are injured... you do not go into a season wanting him as your #6.

Every dman in the history of ever is going to show more flaws the more he plays. Also, doesn't seem fair to completely discount the teams record with Prosser in the lineup. Obviously he doesn't play a major role in helping them win, but if they are actually winning, he can't be hurting them too badly either.

Bottom line for me is, I agree with the bolded completely, I just think he's a better player than he gets credit for. Every team is going to have someone as their worst dman, if it's Prosser for the Wild, I'm ok with that.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
^ I agree with that, my only point is he should not be relied upon as more than a #7...which is why we need to hope Fletcher is right about Reilly's readiness, otherwise just like last year when Yeo didn't think Folin was ready enough, Fletcher had to find another D-man to improve the daily lineup heading into the stretch.

Leo came in and was clearly a big improvement.

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
I don't feel too confident going into next season with almost the same line up. I think losing Brodziak actually hurts the Wild a little bit.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
lets switch it up slightly...

Parise - Granlund - Zucker
Pominville - Koivu - Nino
Vanek - Coyle - Schroeder
Haula - Carter - Fontaine

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon
Dumba - Folin

PP Units

koivu-parise-zucker
dumba-scandella

granlund-pominville-vanek
spurgeon-brodin

(disclaimer: lines not too concerned with RW vs LW. just paired into groups of 3 or 2 respectively)

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'd like to see:

Parise-Granlund-Nino
Zucker-Koivu-Coyle
Vanek-Haula-Pominville
Schroeder-Carter-Fontaine

Suter-Dumba
Scandella-Brodin
Reilly-Spurgeon

Dubnyk
Kuemper

PP
Parise-Granlund-Nino
Dumba-Scandella

Vanek-Koivu-Coyle
Reilly-Suter/Brodin

J22*

I'd like to see:

Parise-Granlund-Nino
Zucker-Koivu-Coyle
Vanek-Haula-Pominville
Schroeder-Carter-Fontaine

Suter-Dumba
Scandella-Brodin
Reilly-Spurgeon

Dubnyk
Kuemper

PP
Parise-Granlund-Nino
Dumba-Scandella

Vanek-Koivu-Coyle
Reilly-Suter/Brodin

Nino doesn't have the hockey sense to play the quick cycle game that the PPG line plays when they're going well.

I really like that 2nd line, but can't see how they can do it if it means Haula centers the 3rd line.

I would love to find a way to pair Vanek and Pominville again.

I understand not wanting to have a Reilly/Dumba pairing, but why break up Suter/Brodin if you're playing Spurgeon with Reilly?

I wont complain about your PP lines simply because that argument is tired.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Nino doesn't have the hockey sense to play the quick cycle game that the PPG line plays when they're going well.

I really like that 2nd line, but can't see how they can do it if it means Haula centers the 3rd line.

I would love to find a way to pair Vanek and Pominville again.

I understand not wanting to have a Reilly/Dumba pairing, but why break up Suter/Brodin if you're playing Spurgeon with Reilly?

I wont complain about your PP lines simply because that argument is tired.

I think Nino would do just fine with Parise and Granlund. He's the teams best sniper and IMO deserves top line minutes.

Zucker-Koivu-Coyle would be fantastic but like you said Haula may be a problem on the third line (read next point).

The thinking behind a Vanek-Haula-Pominville line would be that the wingers have had years of experience playing together and would make it easier for Haula to work well with them. If Haula can't handle 3rd line C then give Graovac a chance.

I broke up Suter-Brodin so each pairing would have a defensive defenseman (Suter-Brodin-Spurgeon) and an offensive defenseman (Dumba-Scandella-Reilly).

I get you'll make an argument about Granlund on the PP. I personally think he'll thrive if given the chance. I have the same thoughts with Nino but he already puts up the highest ppg/60 on the team and I think one of those reasons is the creativity of Granlund. I posted all of Nino's goals in his player discussion thread and it seemed like all his pp goals came with Granlund and Dumba on the ice.

tsmbain

Jun 6, 2010
Jordon Leopold/Wild Defensemen

I think that the Wild should offer Leopold a Training Camp invite (PTO). Reilly plays every pre-season game until either officially making the Wild or shows that he needs AHL time.

If Reilly plays well enough, then Reilly makes the Wild and Leopold is released and asked to stay ready in case injuries happen in season. If Reilly needs AHL time, then either extend Leopold's PTO or sign him at the end of camp.

If Reilly ready:

Suter-Dumba
Scandella-Spurgeon
Reilly-Brodin

Brodin acts as a "seasoned veteran" defensive defenseman to pair with the rookie (Reilly). (The only reason I have him as a 3rd pair D. But he would play 1D minutes by also spending time with Suter).

Brodin sometimes teamed with Suter as Suter will play more minutes than Dumba.

Prosser is the extra backing up both the left and right sides as the Wild can only have 1 extra because of the 3rd goalie issue.

If Reilly not ready and in the AHL:

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Spurgeon
Leopold-Dumba

Prosser is the extra backing up both the left and right sides as the Wild can only have 1 extra because of the 3rd goalie issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad