2015-2016 Blues Prospects Part III

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Decent 1st Period for The Blues. Brouwer, Backes, Stastny, Pietrangelo, Taraseko and Fabbri all had good scoring chances.

The Blues had 7 shots on goal, while The Hawks had only 2.
Nice, sounds like those guys all have NHL futures.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Ok. So I have never really be sold on Blias. In the games I have at Traverse City, he was a soft peripheral player. But.... HE put up 19 points in 12 playoff games and was the big force for his team.

Musil plays in a game 7.

Yakimowicz has 3 points in 10 games and only 6 penalty minutes which is pretty shocking for him - last year he had over 50, plus he had a game winner against Kitchner.

So as of right now we have two players left in the playoffs.

Oppps. Forgot about Dunn. Niagra swept Kingston and he has 10 points in 8 games.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I haven't seen Blais in the playoffs so maybe he's improved his game but of what I have seen of him, I agree with the one-dimensional, perimeter player comments. I see him having problems adjusting to the pro style of game...but I'll be happy if I'm wrong. He's AHL eligible next season so I assume that's where he'll be.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
What is the general consensus on Walman's upside and when he makes the NHL? Looking at his stats compared to Gostisbehere or Krug make him look like he has elite offensive upside:

Draft +1 Year:
Walman: .390 points per game
Ghost (he was technically eligible for 2011 draft): .537 points per game
Krug: .553 points per game

Draft +2 Year:
Walman: 1.037 points per game
Ghost: .722 points per game
Krug: .737 points per game

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
What is the general consensus on Walman's upside and when he makes the NHL? Looking at his stats compared to Gostisbehere or Krug make him look like he has elite offensive upside:

Draft +1 Year:

Draft +2 Year:

2nd pairing two-way d-man. Very good PP QB with a bomb of a shot from the point. Solid defensively, good outlets. My guess is he spends one more year at Providence and then one year in the AHL...but who knows, maybe he'll be able to skip the AHL like Parayko did.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

Draft +1 Year:

Draft +2 Year:

Walman's season this year was a bit of an anomaly. Not that he didn't earn his points, but next season he's not going to lead the nation in scoring(not just for Dmen, but all players) for the first couple months of the season. I think the Krug comparison is fair. Don't see him reaching Ghost's level.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Walman's season this year was a bit of an anomaly. Not that he didn't earn his points, but next season he's not going to lead the nation in scoring(not just for Dmen, but all players) for the first couple months of the season. I think the Krug comparison is fair. Don't see him reaching Ghost's level.

To be fair, I don't think many Philly fans foresaw Ghost reaching Ghost levels.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
To be fair, I don't think many Philly fans foresaw Ghost reaching Ghost levels.

Correct, prior to this season, he was readily available in our fantasy trades. I've seen a whopping 2 min of Walman so I can't say what he'll become, I can only go off of word of mouth

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
We also didn't think Parayko would reach Parayko levels either. Before pre-season even started most people figured he would just make the roster as a third pairing or 7th defenseman guy and would have to be sheltered and maybe rested a few games because he's never played anywhere near the amount of games the NHL has.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
We also didn't think Parayko would reach Parayko levels either. Before pre-season even started most people figured he would just make the roster as a third pairing or 7th defenseman guy and would have to be sheltered and maybe rested a few games because he's never played anywhere near the amount of games the NHL has.

I dunno know about that. Most people expected him to win the Norris, Calder, Conn Smythe, Hart, Gold Glove, NFL Rushing title and the Pulitzer, based on his pre-season thread.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Lindbohm should be in the NHL. Reliable two way defenseman.
Also, Jordan Schmaltz is so talented. He may make the team next year, he will barring injury play at some point next year.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Lindbohm should be in the NHL. Reliable two way defenseman.
Also, Jordan Schmaltz is so talented. He may make the team next year, he will barring injury play at some point next year.

Lindbohm looked pretty shaky this year in the NHL and didnt have a very good year in the AHL, I dont know how one can say he should be in the NHL. We currently have 3 LHD all better than him, so it wont be here unless hes just the extra guy in the pressbox. Agree about Schmaltz though, if Shatty leaves, I expect him to battle it out with Bort for the third pairing. That is unless we bring someone else in.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Lindbohm looked pretty shaky this year in the NHL and didnt have a very good year in the AHL, I dont know how one can say he should be in the NHL. We currently have 3 LHD all better than him, so it wont be here unless hes just the extra guy in the pressbox. Agree about Schmaltz though, if Shatty leaves, I expect him to battle it out with Bort for the third pairing. That is unless we bring someone else in.
I liked what I saw from Lindbohm. From what I remember, he looked capable.
As for Schmaltz, if Shattenkirk is dealt (assuming we don't get a defenseman on the team) I expect him and Edmundson would make a good bottom pair. Then Schmaltz plays on our powerplay.
Vince Dunn., Jake Walman, Santeri Saari all need more time to develop in the minors.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Schmaltz isn't NHL ready, and I don't think he is being viewed as having any realistic chance of making the opening day roster next season. Continues to progress as he has been and he'll be getting a real look towards the end of next season.

Lindbohm could probably handle third pairing full time, if we can endure the growing pains. There is no reason to make space for him though. Decent call up to have.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Schmaltz isn't NHL ready, and I don't think he is being viewed as having any realistic chance of making the opening day roster next season. Continues to progress as he has been and he'll be getting a real look towards the end of next season.

Lindbohm could probably handle third pairing full time, if we can endure the growing pains. There is no reason to make space for him though. Decent call up to have.

I agree that Schmaltz is not ready for starting in The NHL at the beginning of next season. He should be ready for his trial near the end of next season.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I agree that Schmaltz is not ready for starting in The NHL at the beginning of next season. He should be ready for his trial near the end of next season.

At some point next year, I do expect Schmaltz to be in the NHL. I've watched maybe 6 AHL games, I thought he was real good. He's close to being ready and may get 15-20 games next year especially if our blue line is banged up.

Lindbohm probably would make the team before Schmaltz would, not sure he starts on opening roster. Though we don't know how much these guys will improve in the off season.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
At some point next year, I do expect Schmaltz to be in the NHL. I've watched maybe 6 AHL games, I thought he was real good. He's close to being ready and may get 15-20 games next year especially if our blue line is banged up.

Lindbohm probably would make the team before Schmaltz would, not sure he starts on opening roster. Though we don't know how much these guys will improve in the off season.

Just who do you think Lindbohm would beat for a spot?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Just who do you think Lindbohm would beat for a spot?

Well that depends. If Shattenkirk is dealt and we don't sign a defenseman in UFA or get one out of Shattenkirk, I'd imagine its between him and Bortuzzo for the last spot in the top 6.
If that's the case then its up to pairing chemistry and who the coach likes better. Also, we don't know how much Lindbohm will improve in off season.

I can't really answer that, but I guess I'll say that Lindbohm beats out Bortuzzo if anyone. However its likely Lindbohm starts year in AHL along with Schmaltz.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Lindbohm is LHD. So it is Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson and Edmundson ahead of him.

We'll certainly add another defenseman if we move Shattenkirk. I'd imagine it will just be a depth player from UFA with the view of Bortuzzo being a full time player, but I suppose it depends on what the top 2 pairings are expected to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad