2015-2016 Blue Line Situation

Johnstarks

Feb 4, 2008
Hi Oilers fan!

So I was trying to figure out whats the blue line situation next year for the Oils. I am specially wondering what are your thoughts about Oscar Klefboms status and role for next year.

I know Chia might not be done and a trade could be imminent, but here are my questions for you:

1. Predict the 3 D-pairs that will play next year and the Ds on the PP

2. Where do you see Klefbom in that puzzle now, and in a 3 year range

This is what I see:

Sekera - Schultz
Klefbom - Ference
Gryba - Nurse
Reinhart

On the PP, should be Sekera and either Klefbom or Schultz im guessing but im really not sure.

Thanks for your input guys :)

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
You are missing Fayne who is easily our best RHD.

Imo

Sekera - Fayne
Klefbom - Schultz
Ference/Nurse/Reinhart - Gryba
Ference/Nurse/Reinhart

PP is probably going to be Sekera - Schultz and Klefbom - Nurse if he makes the team

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Schultz
Reinhart/Ference-Gryba
Ference/Gryba

Too much smoke that Nikitin gets dumped somehow

That bottom pairing scares me, having 2 defensive defencemen.
Ideally Reinhart starts in the A and Nurse makes that bottom pairing, with Reinhart the first call-up.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Klefbom - Sekera
Reinhart or Nurse - Fayne
Ference or Reinhart or Nurse - Schultz or Gryba

PP:
Sekera - Schultz
Nurse or Klefbom or Reinhart and/or a forward

Bangers

May 31, 2006
My prediction is that if Nikitin and Ference were going to be dumped, they would have been dumped already.

Once Schultz signs his contract, the team is out of cap room. I know there's a new GM, but the Oilers typically don't do a lot of business from now until the season begins.

I'd be surprised if this isn't next year's defence (in no particular order):

Sekera
Klefbom
Schultz
Fayne
Nikitin
Ference
Gryba
Reinhart
Nurse

#anotherbottom5finish

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
My prediction is that if Nikitin and Ference were going to be dumped, they would have been dumped already.

Once Schultz signs his contract, the team is out of cap room. I know there's a new GM, but the Oilers typically don't do a lot of business from now until the season begins.

Sekera
Klefbom
Schultz
Fayne
Nikitin
Ference
Gryba
Reinhart
Nurse

#anotherbottom5finish

Keep your fingers crossed. Geez people.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Sekera
Klefbom
Schultz
Fayne
Nikitin
Ference
Gryba
Reinhart
Nurse

#anotherbottom5finish

I think people put too much weight on the bottom pairing. It's not like we have Strudwick and Ferguson back there. Gryba was a bottom pairing guy on a decent team. Nurse and Reinhart are solid prospects who project to easily be top 4 if not top pair guys. Sekera, Fayne and Klefbom are all legit top 4 guys already and I'm very interested to see how Schultz plays with a real coach directing the D

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Sekera - Fayne
Klefbom - Schultz
Ference - Gryba
Nurse/Reinhart

PP
Sekera - Schultz

Klef- forward

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Nurse and Reinhart are solid prospects who project to easily be top 4 if not top pair guys

Nurse for sure, but I don't think anyone is projecting Reinhart to be a top-pairing guy. Fact is, no one knows what Reinhart is going to be anymore, and that's why he needs to be in the AHL getting up to speed and rounding out his pro game before attempting to find where he fits in the grand scheme of things in the NHL.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nurse for sure, but I don't think anyone is projecting Reinhart to be a top-pairing guy. Fact is, no one knows what Reinhart is going to be anymore, and that's why he needs to be in the AHL getting up to speed and rounding out his pro game before attempting to find where he fits in the grand scheme of things in the NHL.

Yes the top pair comment was meant more for Nurse and the top 4 more for Reinhart. I think that people don't really understand how tough of a situation he was put in last year and how he did all the heavy lifting with little to no PP time. Yet he still produced and didn't self destruct at all. And the guys that "passed" him on the depth chart were ahead of him before he got there. Those were guys who had years of pro experience.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

I think Reinhart's potential is a #3 if everything works out. His stats in the AHL for a rookie dman not known for offense are actually pretty impressive. Take into consideration that he had limited ice time and barely any PP time and his ~.4 ppg looks pretty good.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I think Reinhart's potential is a #3 if everything works out. His stats in the AHL for a rookie dman not known for offense are actually pretty impressive. Take into consideration that he had limited ice time and barely any PP time and his ~.4 ppg looks pretty good.
Top end I would say average #2. As you said he has pretty decent offence as he was no where near there top PP option. If he can improve his skating he could become a great D as he has good positioning just against some of the better players in the league his skating could be exposed though for the most part I don't think his skating is terrible.

I could see a D role sort of like Hjarlmalson in Chicago as the main guy to shutdown the other team or one like Methot in Ottawa where he plays the anchor position for a higher end offensive guy who is given the green light.

dudeoverhere

Feb 23, 2012
trade schultz for somebody good, is what they should do, even though theres not much of a return, 1st pair defense lol thats kinda a laugh

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
trade schultz for somebody good, is what they should do, even though theres not much of a return, 1st pair defense lol thats kinda a laugh

He's our only dman capable of 35 points so trading him would be the stupidest thing we can do. He showed great improvement without Eakins too. He'll never be a top pair dman but I still think he's capable of 45 points. Good teams have offense from the backend.

I would trade him in a package for a top pair dman but since his value is crap we are better off keeping him.

Last edited:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I'll have to disagree with most and toss Klefbom on the top pair. He plays both sides equally well and is undoubtedly our best D man after Sekera. I also think Nurse plays so well he gives management no choice but to keep him up.

Sekera-Klefbom
Nurse-Fayne
Ference-Gryba/Schultz

But that is barring more moves. I'm not so sure we're done altering the roster. What that might entail, I'm not sure, but I think they'd like to improve the D further.

SchultzSquared*

XXX-Fayne
Sekera-Schultz
Klefbom-Gryba
Davidson

OR

Sekera-XXX
Klefbom-Fayne
Ference-Gryba
Davidson

This assumes Nikitin and one of Ference/Schultz find their way out the door at some point this summer, and Chia finds either a righty or a lefty to help flesh things out in the top six. I'd be overwhelmed to see an Ehrhoff (Case A) or Franson (Case B) brought in before this team breaks camp.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm still hoping that we land Franson.. anyhow if we go into next season with what we've got now, I suppose we're a bit better now.
1:
Sekera- Fayne
Klefbom - Schultz
Nikitin - Gryba
(Ference)
2:
Klefbom - Sekera
Nikitin - Fayne
Reinhart - Schultz
(Ference) (Gryba)

----

Hopefully Klefbom doesn't regress. Sekera should bring a bit better than Petry. Nikitin over Ference because he's under pressure to come into camp in shape because he's on a contract year. Reinhart over Nurse because I feel he can get a lot more out of playing in the AHL than Reinhart can at this point by playing big minutes. Hope the coach down there has him work on his shot and his defensive play. His defensive play isn't bad, but it can get a lot better playing a ton of minutes against adults.

---

Now... I'd really like to see us sign Franson and buy out Ference or trade him. That would be a home run for us.

3:
Sekera - Franson
Klefbom - Fayne
Nikitin - Schultz/Gryba
Schultz/Gryba
4:
Klefbom - Sekera
Nikitin - Franson
Reinhart-Schultz/Gryba
(Schultz/Gryba)

If I had my choice I'd go with #3. Reinhart and Nurse get at least 1 more year of seasoning in the NHL, while we've got 3 actual vets playing in our top 4 for... man it's been a long time. After next season Nikitin is gone for sure so we can be sure that Nurse and Reinhart will be playing in the NHL unless they regress significantly.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
As is the top 4 is pretty easy...

Sekera - Fayne
Klefbom - Schultz

Actually I dont see any player beating out Gryba for the #5 spot. He is a pretty solid bottom paring NHL dman.

The only spot up for grabs IMO is the #6 spot.

I would say that Reinhart probably has the inside track on that spot although much depends on what happens with Ference and/or Nikitin between now and October.

I would like to see Nurse rip it up in the AHL for at least 25 games to start the season.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Not sure why people are putting Fayne on top pairing... Might as well put Ference in top4 as well..
Fayne was a bottom pairing guy last year and wouldnt be much better this year.. Oilers need another top pairing RHD.. Fayne-Schultz-Gryba equals another lotto pick

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
The d corps is Chiarelli's last piece to fix. It's the only part of the roster without balance.

Every year we roll into training camp with 4-6 bottom pairing dmen on the roster. For once, just once, can we finally see the unicorn trade of 2 bottom pairing guys for a second pairing guy?

How about Nikitin and Ference out (in separate deals if need be) and Braden Coburn in? Something to relieve the log jam of mediocrity back there.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Gryba
Ference-Schultz
Nikitin

give the kids some time to develop, then out with the old and in with the new as the season progresses.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
The d corps is Chiarelli's last piece to fix. It's the only part of the roster without balance.

Every year we roll into training camp with 4-6 bottom pairing dmen on the roster. For once, just once, can we finally see the unicorn trade of 2 bottom pairing guys for a second pairing guy?

How about Nikitin and Ference out (in separate deals if need be) and Braden Coburn in? Something to relieve the log jam of mediocrity back there.

He's brought in Sekera and Reinhart, it's not as if he isn't looking. I seriously doubt teams are looking to gift us Pietrangelo or OEL.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think you have to split Klefbom and Schultz going into next season. With good protection in the line-up, I think they could have been a decent second pairing, but Sekera-Fayne won't provide that.

So what does that leave us with? We saw Klefbom be able to take on top opposition when he was paired with Fayne or Petry. So if you return to that, you should have a pairing that can draw top opposition and not get eaten alive. Sekera will be the best player Schultz will have ever been paired with (a slightly depressing fact), so that should help him immensely. I think one of the biggest issues for Schultz has been the fact that he's been asked to lead the offencive attack while being paired with N.Schultz or Ference, not really someone that can create *any* offence. Getting him with a guy that can also consistently generate his own offence, should have him looking better (as he did when paired with Klefbom). That means you have Ference and Nikitin out of the top 4 and hopefully into minutes that can have success in.

Thus you have...
Sekera-Schultz
Klefbom-Fayne
Ference-Nikitin
Gyrba

Sadly that still looks far too make shift; unless all the "ifs" come true. (if Schultz can bounce back with a decent partner, if Sekera can carry Schultz, if Nikitin can remember how to play hockey, if Klefbom can consistently play well in a top 4 role, ect... However without Eakins and now with a good coach, I do have *some* hope.

There's also the issue of what's going on in Bakersfield. Right now you've got a depth-chart of...

Davidson-Hunt
Nurse-Reinhart
Simpson-Oesterle
Musil-Gernat
Betker-Laleggia

I would think that's too many bodies. But considering how bad the injury bug got them last year, this might be a good precaution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad