2015/16 Wishlist

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Not sure why there is a backlash against a guy like Beleskey. They actually need a couple of guys like him. He's not huge but he wins battles, has a pretty nice scoring touch and is hard to play against.

Another guy I think they'll actually look at is Fehr. Not sure I've seen his name mentioned here but he has the size, he's a RH shot and he can play both Wing/C...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not sure why there is a backlash against a guy like Beleskey. They actually need a couple of guys like him. He's not huge but he wins battles, has a pretty nice scoring touch and is hard to play against.

Remember what happened with Clarkson?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Remember what happened with Clarkson?

There's obviously a dollar value you wouldn't exceed but you cannot be scared to acquire guys because of guys who didnt work out. That's like saying the Wings should've never signed another D after Krupp crapped the bed. Matt Beleskey is Matt Beleskey. Not David Clarkson. There's a reason only the Leafs and Oilers were pursuing Clarkson at those kind of dollars. Now, the Wings might have one of those guys with Bertuzzi but you cannot count on him coming in and giving the same production at the NHL level.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Another guy I think they'll actually look at is Fehr. Not sure I've seen his name mentioned here but he has the size, he's a RH shot and he can play both Wing/C...

It's not a backlash against Beleskey. It's a backlash against competing to acquire him in a thin market.

And he may not be Clarkson. But he damn well falls into the category of guys like him, which includes Clowe, Callahan, Richards, Jones, Brown, Bickell, et al - guys who play the game hard, get rewarded for a while, and then slow down. They aren't worth it for their longevity. Or lack thereof, rather.

The only way I'd be happy with acquiring Beleskey at his likely $4x4 minimum price tag would be if the plan is then to ship off Abby while his value is sky high in a package for a big fish and not lose the energy/grub goal scoring presence in the process. But Holland is far too conventional for such creative moves.

Edit: I like the idea of Fehr as well and have mentioned his name in the past, but unless we're making roster trades before July, I don't see the point of adding him as he'd likely be taking time away from Jurco and Pulkkinen, and next year is huge for them.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
but you cannot be scared to acquire guys because of guys who didnt work out.

I agree with this line of thinking, but I don't look at Matt Belesky and think to myself, that's a 20 goal scorer. I think Matt Beleskey, he's a flash in the pan.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's not a backlash against Beleskey. It's a backlash against competing to acquire him in a thin market.

And he may not be Clarkson. But he damn well falls into the category of guys like him, which includes Clowe, Callahan, Richards, Jones, Brown, Bickell, et al - guys who play the game hard, get rewarded for a while, and then slow down. They aren't worth it for their longevity. Or lack thereof, rather.

The only way I'd be happy with acquiring Beleskey at his likely $4x4 minimum price tag would be if the plan is then to ship off Abby while his value is sky high in a package for a big fish and not lose the energy/grub goal scoring presence in the process. But Holland is far too conventional for such creative moves.

I wouldn't be happy with it then, either. Honestly, it should be a backlash against Beleskey. He's 27, has a career high in goals in a contract year, there's nothing overly special about him...why should we be talking about this guy at all?

Move Jurco up in the lineup (or not, and just see if he can up his shooting percentage north of 4%) and we'll probably get similar production to what Beleskey would give us for a quarter of the cost.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Wonder who or what Holland had in mind when the organization threw their first round pick into the trade waters if Phaneuf wasn't in the cards.

I hear they're working on a deal to get Cleary and Quincey traded to another team so Holland can trade to get them back.

But seriously, I have no idea, maybe Yandle?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I would want Beleskey. But our F core is pretty good.. Dats Z Nyquist Tatar Sheahan Abby, already fills a top six... Helm Jurco and ??? 4th line is already established.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
So I'm in a mock draft/off season over in the mock draft section and made quite a few changes to the Wings. I'm sure most people are not going to like that I traded away nearly all of the teams top young wingers, but here is the roster anyways.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abdelkader
Nash - Backes - Sheahan
Franzen - Larkin - Jurco
Miller - Glendening - Ferraro

Kronwall - Burns
Dekeyser - Shattenkirk
Smith - Ericsson

Mrazek
Howard

Trade 1: 2015 1st + Nastasiuk for Brent Burns
Trade 2: Tatar + Mantha + Quincey for Kevin Shattenkirk + 2015 2nd
Trade 3: Nyquist + Weiss + Ouellet + 2015 3rd for Rick Nash
Trade 4: Helm + Pulkkinen + 2016 first for David Backes

I expect Trades 2 and 3 to receive a lot of backlash, but I feel this is a significantly better team than what we have now. Just thought i'd share this here and see what other Wings fans think.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
No idea where to post this, seems somewhat related to this thread. What would DET fans be willing to give up for Bieksa? There has been rumors DET is one of the teams calling about him and now that Dion is out of the picture, seems like a possiblity.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
No idea where to post this, seems somewhat related to this thread. What would DET fans be willing to give up for Bieksa? There has been rumors DET is one of the teams calling about him and now that Dion is out of the picture, seems like a possiblity.

wouldn't give him anything of value.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I hear they're working on a deal to get Cleary and Quincey traded to another team so Holland can trade to get them back.

But seriously, I have no idea, maybe Yandle?

It would seem odd for NYR to move Yandle after just acquiring him. Do they need the cap room?

If we're looking at players and not just some sort of draft movement (which I would assume is trading down), I'd be looking at San Jose, maybe Vancouver if the Canucks don't believe they can bulk up to beat the big teams in the West. Something around Burns or Hamhuis/Edler would make sense for the Wings, and could make sense for the other teams.

If San Jose is looking to make a move with us, I could see the deal expanding a bit to send some contracts both ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad