18 - Mark Alt - D (28%)
19 - Christian Marti - D (32%)
20 - Mikhail Vorobyov - F (37%)

Last edited:

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Parks! He will be an NHLer if we sign him!

I know we usually stop here, but I feel pretty strongly that Goul, Willcox, Marody, and Kase will be pretty good players and potential NHLers. Vorobyov is too much of an unknown for him but I love that he's highly regarded.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Kase because he has soft hands and a lot of potential as he grows into his body.

Something tells me Goulbourne will play in the NHL some day as a Flyer or somewhere else. Hard working energy type of players can work their way up. But he needs to show me more to be considered top-20 talent.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Goulbourne should struggle to make a top 25 list. C'mon.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I voted Goulbourne for the simple reason that I think he's the easiest guy left to project to actually make the NHL. Some of you are going for upside and have been for some time now. I disagree with that at the end of a list like this. It's doubtful that any of these guys make the NHL. How do you vote for a guy who, if all of the stars align, *might* be a second line talent but who is far more likely to never even get a contract over a guy who has a contract and has a relatively decent shot of getting a trying out in the NHL as a 4th line forward at some point? That's not logical.

Now, if Vorobyov or Kase put together a good year and make some real noise, I'll happily jump them over a guy like Goulbourne. But until then...

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Agreed, but I voted Vorobyov. It feels like a crime if either doesn't make it. Both would have easily made it in any previous years voting.
Any good reads or highlights of Vorobyov? Hard to find much on him online.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I voted Goulbourne for the simple reason that I think he's the easiest guy left to project to actually make the NHL. Some of you are going for upside and have been for some time now. I disagree with that at the end of a list like this. It's doubtful that any of these guys make the NHL. How do you vote for a guy who, if all of the stars align, *might* be a second line talent but who is far more likely to never even get a contract over a guy who has a contract and has a relatively decent shot of getting a trying out in the NHL as a 4th line forward at some point? That's not logical.

Now, if Vorobyov or Kase put together a good year and make some real noise, I'll happily jump them over a guy like Goulbourne. But until then...

It's actually highly logical. A 10% chance of winning $50 is more valuable than a 50% chance of winning $5.

I can understand if your percentages and payoffs are tweaked in such a way that makes Goulbourne more valuable, but to say it's illogical to have a guy like Kase or Vorobyov or Marody doesn't really make sense.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Really excited about the depth we have here. A lot of guys with high upside that aren't even going to make this top 20.

I'm especially excited to watch Marody at Michigan next season.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Vorobyov or Kase... voted Vorobyov just cuz he seems to have a bigger chance at winning this poll. Really wouldn't want to see Goulbourne on this list. Or a top 30 list anyways. Straka, Pettersson, Marody and Vasiliev are my honorable mentions... and along with Kase/Vorobyov should close up the top 25!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A guy like Goulbourne, who has potential to be a 4th line plug at best, shouldn't be getting votes ahead of Kase and Vorobyov.

Still makes me sick we drafted him over Bjorkstrand, who has turned into a top 6 calibre prospect.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
It's actually highly logical. A 10% chance of winning $50 is more valuable than a 50% chance of winning $5.

I can understand if your percentages and payoffs are tweaked in such a way that makes Goulbourne more valuable, but to say it's illogical to have a guy like Kase or Vorobyov or Marody doesn't really make sense.

Except those aren't the right percentages.

Kase & Vorobyov are practically complete unknowns at this point in their development. What's the likelihood that a 4th & 5th rounder play a 100 games in the NHL? Somewhere around 10%? That's not a 10% chance of winning $50, that's a 10% chance of winning anything at all out of those picks. The actual chance of winning $50 is something like 1-2%.

Goulbourne looks at this stage to have a 50/50 shot of getting to the NHL. He has skills that are fairly easy to project. It isn't that hard to see him carve out a career as a 4th line winger who'll be physical, can skate, and might even be an effective PKer. As a result, I find it far more likely that Goulbourne plays a 100 games in the NHL than either of the other two. Given that, how can he possibly not be ranked higher than them as a prospect at this juncture?

I've been a hard-core hockey fan since 1987. From 1987 until now, the Flyers have drafted a grand total of 16 skaters in the fourth round and later that have managed to play 100+ games in the NHL. 16 guys in 28 years! Here are some of those guys: Zac Rinaldo, Todd Fedoruk, Reid Simpson, Dan Kordic, Jesse Boulerice. You may have noticed a pattern. Then you've got a bunch of guys who either flamed out of the league or who I cannot recall for the life of me: Slava Butsayev (oh, how I hated Slava), Andrei Lomakin (oh, how I loved Andrei), Chris Herperger (who?), Aris Brimanis (a decent enough #8 defenseman), Alexander Selivanov (good ole Son-in-Law-ov, never played for the Flyers), Colin Forbes (looked really good there for a year or so, then went downhill), Radovan Somik (also looked really good there for a year or so). The biggest hits they've had have been two defenseman: Seidenberg & Yushkevich. Needless to say, while I would absolutely love for the Flyers to have hit a couple of homeruns in Vorobyov & Kase, I know better than to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

Look, I didn't like the Goulbourne pick either, but people are just plain holding that against him at this point, which is silly. He's got roughly a 50/50 shot of playing in the NHL, which is far higher than the other two. Now, if those guys go and rip up their leagues this year, and get signed to contracts, I'll be more than happy to have them jump over Goulbourne in the rankings next year. This year, I don't see the argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad