Prospect Info: 2015-16 Top 20 Flyers Prospects, #2

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
OK, fine, but I'd say most established defenders have followed a different path, where they haven't just turned it around after several years. So I wouldn't use exceptions as an argument here. I mean, yeah, they show it's possible, but that doesn't mean the criticism in general is invalid. And I never said I don't think Morin can change his game, I just wouldn't bank on it being as easy as some might think.

I wasn't arguing I was just using it as am example to how he can still change

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
Ghost Bear #1

and then everyone else. In my book, he is the best hockey player out of our prospects, ceilings and floors be damned. Can't wait to see him be a fixture on our PP#1

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I wasn't arguing I was just using it as am example to how he can still change
Alright, cool, we agree on that then. I'm hoping he does change, he kind of looks like a mix between the leader of the Ginyu force in DBZ and one of the Monstars from Space Jam. But without the dance moves.

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
Well, hopefully he wants to play more aggressive. I'm not sure how legit the league excuse is. I mean, hey, there's never a bad time to criticize the QMJHL, but what suggests that it's the league holding him back and not just him not being aggressive and strong on the puck? I'd be great if he changed that, but I wouldn't bank on it. There's definitely a chance, don't get me wrong, but from what I've seen he plays softer than his other QMJHL peers, too. I want him to succeed, but when I saw Tkachev muscle him off the puck, my heart kind of sagged.
You seriously remember how Chara looked like in his play almost 20 years back?

The reason I believe it's the league is because last season in camp and preseason he looked aggressive, in training I can't remember who, but he had a pretty good collision.

As I said though. He looked soft during his past season. I am just hoping it's due to the league because prior he looked like he would never shy away from contact

puzzle

May 21, 2008
Quebec city
I seriously think Morin is underrated on here. Of course offensive D-men will, like forwards, be flashier and develop faster. 10 years from now,I wouldn't be surprised at all if Morin is our number 1 D-man. He has a lot of upsides.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
I seriously think Morin is underrated on here. Of course offensive D-men will, like forwards, be flashier and develop faster. 10 years from now,I wouldn't be surprised at all if Morin is our number 1 D-man. He has a lot of upsides.

Imo he's our 3rd best prospect I love morin, I see him more like a way more offensive derrian hatcher

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm really not sure Morin is ever going to have the vision, puckhandling, and passing to be a core player. He struggles against pressure now; that's only going to get worse with the speed of the NHL.

His size and mobility should make him able to defend in the NHL, though.

I will say that I thought Chara was absolutely horrendous with the Islanders early in his career. I still cannot believe how much he improved -- perhaps more than anyone I can ever remember.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
With Sanheim, Provorov and Ghost on the same team I'd be more than happy if Morin becomes "only" the next Adam Foote instead of Zdeno Chara or Chris Pronger.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Sanheim is the easy choice here. Morin had a nice steady season where he showed improvement in the areas he needed to, but Sanheim's ascension this past year was just crazy.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm really not sure Morin is ever going to have the vision, puckhandling, and passing to be a core player. He struggles against pressure now; that's only going to get worse with the speed of the NHL.

His size and mobility should make him able to defend in the NHL, though.

I will say that I thought Chara was absolutely horrendous with the Islanders early in his career. I still cannot believe how much he improved -- perhaps more than anyone I can ever remember.
Small sample size but I think he does better when the pace picks up. Less time for him to think. He just reacts.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Small sample size but I think he does better when the pace picks up. Less time for him to think. He just reacts.

Didn't think he looked too hot in his limited WJC minutes. Granted, that wasn't much.

I just don't consider him a top-tier prospect yet. A good prospect? Yes. But remember, he was considered a big reach by many at 11; most rankings had him in the 30s and 40s; and he hasn't exactly exploded since like Sanheim has.

Look at the WJCs: Provorov has already been in them, and if he plays this year he will be a cornerstone player for Russia; Sanheim, if he plays in them, will be a cornerstone player for Canada; Konecny also figures to be an important part of Canada. Ghost was a key player for USA.

Morin and Laughton, even though Laughton was captain, were fringe players with limited minutes.

While it isn't dispositive, I think it does say something, and it jives with my opinion that while Morin and Laughton are good prospects, they are 5 & 6 -- a tier below the other 4.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He doesn't break his jaw, he's not the 7th defensman. He was playing at a really high level before the injury. Basing a player's ceiling on a tournament is a little silly but we've had that discussion before.

He's inconsistent. He will have to work through that but where do you find the package of skills he has? It might take some time but with Provorov in the fold they can afford to bring him along slowly if need be. It's too early to lose hope. He's going to be a solid piece moving forward.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
He doesn't break his jaw, he's not the 7th defensman. He was playing at a really high level before the injury. Basing a player's ceiling on a tournament is a little silly but we've had that discussion before.

He's inconsistent. He will have to work through that but where do you find the package of skills he has? It might take some time but with Provorov in the fold they can afford to bring him along slowly if need be. It's too early to lose hope. He's going to be a solid piece moving forward.

I'm not losing hope yet. Like I said, I thought Chara was brutal when he was with the Islanders early in his career, and he improved like crazy. Morin was just a skinny, gangly, 6'7" kid, so no doubt he is growing into his body and has a lot of room to improve.

But as of now, the skills I see are outstanding size combined with excellent mobility for someone that size. And a mean streak. I don't see any special skills besides those yet -- but the potential is still there.

As he stands today, I just can't rank him in my top 4, as those four have simply accomplished more to go along with excellent skills packages. That said, I am not giving up on Morin at all or denying his potential. I am very curious to see how he fares with the Phantoms.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
With the addition of Provorov, the Flyers now have 3 ELITE puck moving defensemen in the system. It's only going to help him. Excited to watch his progress.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I'm not losing hope yet. Like I said, I thought Chara was brutal when he was with the Islanders early in his career, and he improved like crazy. Morin was just a skinny, gangly, 6'7" kid, so no doubt he is growing into his body and has a lot of room to improve.

But as of now, the skills I see are outstanding size combined with excellent mobility for someone that size. And a mean streak. I don't see any special skills besides those yet -- but the potential is still there.

As he stands today, I just can't rank him in my top 4, as those four have simply accomplished more to go along with excellent skills packages. That said, I am not giving up on Morin at all or denying his potential. I am very curious to see how he fares with the Phantoms.

His slap shot is damn good, too. He also put up more points this season (32) than last season (31) in 16 less games. If I remember correctly, they kept moving him around the PP unit as well. I think he will keep steadily improving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad