10 - Nick Cousins - F (37%)
11 - Anthony Stolarz - G (58%)
12 - Mark Friedman - D (51%)
13 -

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Picked Bardreau. I could see Fazleev, Martel, or one of the goalies here as well. Leier too.

Never got the hype for Alt and still don't think he'll be more than an emergency call up kind of player. Haven't seen Marti but everyone has great things to say about him from development camp.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm between Martel and Sandstrom. I think Sandstrom has some serious potential, so I'd say probably him. Martel strikes me as another guy like Tyler Johnson who was passed over because of his size and puts up great production. Not to say that he's Tyler Johnson at all, but I think that he's going to be a middle 6 NHL player.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
There is no way Tomek is ahead of Sandstrom at this point. I realize my opinion is based off development camp, but they are at different levels right now.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
There is no way Tomek is ahead of Sandstrom at this point. I realize my opinion is based off development camp, but they are at different levels right now.

There is no way you can make such categorical assessments based on development camp.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
There is no way you can make such categorical assessments based on development camp.

Well, for one I acknowledged it was only based on development camp, so feel free to disregard if you think that carries no weight.

But you've got to base assessments on something, and seeing the two a couple feet away from me in person, it seemed pretty clear Sandstrom at the present time was a level above Tomek.

I guess we'll find out more soon enough, anyway.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Well, for one I acknowledged it was only based on development camp, so feel free to disregard if you think that carries no weight.

But you've got to base assessments on something, and seeing the two a couple feet away from me in person, it seemed pretty clear Sandstrom at the present time was a level above Tomek.

It's a less-than-low-stakes practice. You can't make projections based on that. For goalies, no less, where half the battle is mental...

You can probably make some decent judgments about a goalie's raw skill set from something like that, but nothing else. Certainly no categorical statements like you made.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
It's a less-than-low-stakes practice. You can't make projections based on that. For goalies, no less, where half the battle is mental...

You can probably make some decent judgments about a goalie's raw skill set from something like that, but nothing else. Certainly no categorical statements like you made.

Well, I disagree. I think it is possible to make judgments on players, particularly goalies, based on drills and practice sessions.

I've never said it is perfect, but I think it is naive to act like it is impossible to make projections based on comparing how two players drill and practice in an identical environment.

I am completely willing to admit it is a limited sample size and I could be wrong, but I sure as hell know where I'd rather bet my money. Like I said, the proof will be in the pudding, so we'll follow how it unfolds.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
Picked Bardreau. I could see Fazleev, Martel, or one of the goalies here as well. Leier too.

Never got the hype for Alt and still don't think he'll be more than an emergency call up kind of player. Haven't seen Marti but everyone has great things to say about him from development camp.

Thought Leier would be #8 where'd he go?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Voted Martel, but I can see arguments for Fazleev, Alt, Marti, the goalies, or even Kase here, too. It breaks wide open here.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park

It's funny that you're so sure of your assessment. My buddy went to the camp on Thursday and he had the opposite impression. He thought Sandstrom was raw and Tomek looked really controlled. Not saying either one of you is correct but my friend is no noob to hockey so I respect his opinion. So I can conclude that impressions from development camp mean squat right now. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading everyone's thoughts though, I still like your posts Ghosts Beer

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Voted Martel, but I can see arguments for Fazleev, Alt, Marti, the goalies, or even Kase here, too. It breaks wide open here.

Just by skills and what I remember reading of Marody I'd say he could go up there too if Kase and Alt and the new goalies can.

I agree though. I also voted for Martel.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Went Fazleev because I forgot Leier was still there, shouldn't matter as Sandstrom looks to have this one.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Went with alt. still has upside. One healthy year and we could be talking about are future 6/7 Dman. Another poor year and he will no longer with the team IMO. Like alt, the remaining forwards have so much to prove this year. i can see a few players having a "Cousins" like year and really making a push for a bottom 6 role next year.

As for goalies I hate ranking them. You can never judge a goalie until they are playing against top level talent and in a good structure. Too many guys come from out of the blue each year,many then suck the next and to many top goalie prospects don't become anything. By the way will any of are goalies have starting jobs at the WJC this year?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
It's funny that you're so sure of your assessment. My buddy went to the camp on Thursday and he had the opposite impression. He thought Sandstrom was raw and Tomek looked really controlled. Not saying either one of you is correct but my friend is no noob to hockey so I respect his opinion. So I can conclude that impressions from development camp mean squat right now. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading everyone's thoughts though, I still like your posts Ghosts Beer

Wow, I was there that day, and I couldn't disagree more. And I don't mean that disrespectfully at all. It almost makes me wonder if he mixed the two of them up. But I guess it goes to show you different people view different things.

Anyway, most importantly, I don't want anyone to think I'm boxing out any competing opinions or acting like my judgment is the end all be all. I give my opinions based on what I saw; I'm confident in them; but it also is a sliver in the grand scheme of things. And I want to hear every independent analysis I can get on the Flyers' prospects. As with many of us, the Flyers are my favorite hobby.

Last edited:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
But you're grossly overvaluing drills in a no-stakes, prospect camp environment.

You straight up said, "There is no way Tomek is ahead of Sandstrom at this point". I'm not arguing that he is or he isn't ahead of Tomek, but you simply can't make that judgment with such confidence (or any confidence, for that matter) based on a practice session in the middle of the summer.

Scouting would be so much easier if that were the case.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Went with alt. still has upside. One healthy year and we could be talking about are future 6/7 Dman. Another poor year and he will no longer with the team IMO. Like alt, the remaining forwards have so much to prove this year. i can see a few players having a "Cousins" like year and really making a push for a bottom 6 role next year.

As for goalies I hate ranking them. You can never judge a goalie until they are playing against top level talent and in a good structure. Too many guys come from out of the blue each year,many then suck the next and to many top goalie prospects don't become anything. By the way will any of are goalies have starting jobs at the WJC this year?

I think Sandström has a good shot to be starter for Sweden. Linus Söderström is his only serious competition in my mind, he is a year older, but it depends on how well they play from now to the tourney... as they are the two goalies I am sure Sweden will take, the 3rd is more of a toss up, maybe three guys in the race though Kallgren is favourite.

Tomek should be favourite, all three guys who went to the WJC last year in net are too old and Tomek was the guy at u-18.

Quenda

Jul 4, 2015
2 players projecting the same level, except one has been in the system two seasons and the other is just drafted. Who gets rated higher?

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Surprised Alt has 9 votes, I think he tops out as a 6th defenseman. I picked Sandstrom here, but I'd put Tomek, Fazleev, Kase, Martel, Marti, Leier ahead of him (In no particular order).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad