2015-16: The Positives

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
With our mediocre record at best and the inability to string two or more wins together, the lack of goal scoring, a (formerly) long list of injuries, Stamkos' contract drama, Drouin trade talk, Cooper's odd line combos etc. we're pretty doom and gloom right now.

Time to forget all the bad stuff and think about the good things for a minute! What have been pleasent surprises so far for you guys?

I have a couple:

• Ben Bishop is 11th in SV% (.924) and 5th in GAA (2.06) in the entire NHL despite our record. Not only did he shake off his injuries from last season's post-season like it's nothing, he's among the best goalies in the league - yet again.

• Nikita Kucherov continues to produce, even when without Johnson and Palat on his line. He's leading the team in points (tied with Stamkos right now) and is on pace for another strong 60+ point season (~30 goals). After a slow start he's consistently contributing to our offense. He also provides quite some entertainment value due to his amazing hockey IQ and slick plays.

• JT Brown went from a speedy 4th liner with stone hands to a solid contributor on the PK, defensively and on the rush. He's even leading the team in points per 60 minutes on even strength (source).

Got more? Post 'em here!

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Namestnikov's development. He has a better 5v5 point per 60 minutes than Stamkos (1.23 pts/60), the 2nd highest CF% (56%) almost equal to Hedman (Paquette has a higher CF% but he played only 16 games) and the highest scoring chance % (55%) on the team. He's seeing the ice better, his playmaking mindset is emerging and he's not afraid to go to the dirty areas. I wish he played more minutes.

Marchessault is a pleasant surprise too, his numbers are quite respectable.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Namestnikov's development. He has a better 5v5 point per 60 minutes than Stamkos (1.23 pts/60), the 2nd highest CF% (56%) almost equal to Hedman (Paquette has a higher CF% but he played only 16 games) and the highest scoring chance % (55%) on the team. He's seeing the ice better, his playmaking mindset is emerging and he's not afraid to go to the dirty areas. I wish he played more minutes.

Marchessault is a pleasant surprise too, his numbers are quite respectable.

Everyone currently in our bottom 6 has a better 5 on 5 points/60 mins than Stamkos, Flip, And Killorn. Not sure that is a positive or just sad?

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Bishop, Brown, Kucherov, and Names have all been wonderful this year.

I'll give a half shout out to Sustr. Started the year BAD but the past month he has been very solid.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Bishop, Brown, Kucherov, and Names have all been wonderful this year.

I'll give a half shout out to Sustr. Started the year BAD but the past month he has been very solid.

Leave it to Coop to play a kid through growing pains long enough for him to turn into a competent bottom pairing defenseman.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Leave it to Coop to play a kid through growing pains long enough for him to turn into a competent bottom pairing defenseman.

Now if only he will do that with the highly skilled forwards.....(Kucherov doesn't count, he was pretty much forced to throw him up there.)

JS91

May 14, 2014
I know. Johnson, Palat, JAM, and Names have all been terrible.

Or are we strictly talking about the kid with 6 goals in 79 games?

Hey now, this thread is about the positives of this season, no need to turn it to yet another argument thread.

On topic though, Marchessault has been a nice surprise. Seems like a solid 3rd line scoring forward. Don't know if Yzerman is planning on keeping him though but I'd be fine either way. He might even return something nice if he keeps performing like this.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL

Palat and Johnson he raised through the ranks with them. So even the most veteran heavy coach in the league if in the same scenario would be more inclined into giving them their chances.

Names personally I would like to see him on the top line some more. I though the Line of Names-Stamkos-Kucherov was actually a pretty solid line for the most part. After the Johnson and Palat came back, he has been relegated. I'd love to see the rooks especially with those with higher ceilings to be given more of a leash. Just my two cents though.

JAM has been fantastic, have no complaints on the usage of him. Mainly though he has been used on the bottom lines.

Positives: Names really starting to come into his own, its fantastic to see. Really excited for the kid and think he is well on his way to become what we drafted him to be. (2nd line center.)

Kucherov..He just keeps getting better and better. Easily my favorite player on the team, watch him play and its easy to see why. Hes a beast for us.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Palat and Johnson he raised through the ranks with them. So even the most veteran heavy coach in the league if in the same scenario would be more inclined into giving them their chances.

Names personally I would like to see him on the top line some more. I though the Line of Names-Stamkos-Kucherov was actually a pretty solid line for the most part. After the Johnson and Palat came back, he has been relegated. I'd love to see the rooks especially with those with higher ceilings to be given more of a leash. Just my two cents though.

JAM has been fantastic, have no complaints on the usage of him. Mainly though he has been used on the bottom lines.

This year let's us see who really deserves their spot and who we can cut loose. JAM has done well and I'd expect him to take a bottom 6 and 2nd PP unit role, pot around 15 goals. That'd be great considering he won't be expensive either. I hope we keep him. Brown has been great, won us a few games which is incredible considering he has stone hands and he's small. He does a great job in his role.

BohemianRhandomly

Nov 3, 2014
Section 128

Or was it 6 goals in 89 games..? :laugh:

Seriously though, the two bright, shining spots in this season have been Bishop and Kucherov. Bish most of all though, putting up elite goalie stats. He's been inspired by our desperate scoring situation, and has known he's all that's stood between us and being at the very bottom of the standings. So much respect for him. Talk about carrying a team on your back.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I've been thinking about making a thread about this, but maybe it doesn't warrant one. I don't know.

I'm just wondering, is this the most unenjoyable season you guys can remember? I think it goes beyond losing/underachieving. I've just never been so disinterested in the actual on-ice product.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Expectations suck, because when they aren't being met, the irritation is that much more palpable. It was more fun when the team sucked, we knew it sucked, and losses weren't so bothersome. That, and the fat that, generally, the issue was that the defense and goaltending were terrible, not the offense, so even the losses were more of the 5-3 variety than the dreary 2-1 variety.

It's been a nightmare. I never expected this would happen. Seven points out of a divisional playoff spot after tonight. The favorite to win the East pre-season is going to be lucky to squeeze a wild card.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
1.)We finally have most players back and healthy.
2.) Nammy has made some stride this season as well.
3.) JAM has looked good.
4.) Defense and goal keeping is better.
5.) We are in good position to make a run at a playoff spot.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It's depressing to be down 1-0 like clockwork in every first period. At least follow a different script for losing.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Wow, an entire board dedicated to everything that's bad, and we can't even have one nice, non-complaining thread.

Hedman hasn't been great offensively, but he's proving himself defensively.
Kucherov!!
Brown, Vladdy, JAM. The rest of the kids coming up from Syracuse proving themselves.

Last, but certainly not least, Big Ben Bishop. Damn son!

Also, off ice. Mr. V and his benevolent takeover of downtown Tampa has been starting to shape up. He also seems to be inspiring other business leaders to realize that there is a lot to work with down there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad