2015-16 NHL Season Prediction Thread

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I ask the mods to keep this thread separate from the one that is more about Rangers predictions for this season.

Answer these questions.

First Head Coach to get fired:
Under the radar breakout player:
Presidents Trophy:
Regular Season Eastern Conference Winner:
Regular Season Western Conference Winner:
Art Ross Trophy (top scorer):
Hart Trophy (MVP):
Calder Trophy (ROY):
Selke Trophy (DPOY):
Vezina Trophy (best goalie):
Norrs Trophy (best defenseman):
Jack Adams Trophy (best coach):
ECF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games):
WCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games):
SCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games):
Conn Smythe (Playoff MVP):

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
We will make it to the ECF again. Anything short of that is a disaster. Even another ECF is a disappointment. The only way this season is a success is if we get a Broadway parade. A SCF loss will be ok, not a disappointment, but not anything we should be happy with.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
First Head Coach to get fired:
Under the radar breakout player:
Presidents Cup:
Regular Season Eastern Conference Winner:
Regular Season Western Conference Winner:
Art Ross Trophy (top scorer):
Hart Trophy (MVP): Jesper Fast
Calder Trophy (ROY):
Selke Trophy (DPOY):
Vezina Trophy (best goalie):
Norrs Trophy (best defenseman):
Jack Adams Trophy (best coach):
ECF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games):
WCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games):
SCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games):
Conn Smythe (Playoff MVP):

KreiderHouseRules*

Just to be that guy...

It's the President's TROPHY, not the President's Cup, which is a golf tournament.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
First Head Coach to get fired: Jack Capuano after a slow start from the Islanders

Under the radar breakout player: Jonathan Drouin

Presidents Cup: Anaheim Ducks

Regular Season Eastern Conference Winner: Tampa Bay
Regular Season Western Conference Winner: Anaheim Ducks

Art Ross Trophy (top scorer): Steve Stamkos

Hart Trophy (MVP): Sidney Crosby

Calder Trophy (ROY): Connor McDavid

Selke Trophy (DPOY): Jonathan Toews

Vezina Trophy (best goalie): Carey Price

Norris Trophy (best defenseman): Erik Karlsson

Jack Adams Trophy (best coach): Todd McClellan

ECF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): Rangers vs. Tampa: Rangers in 7

WCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): Anaheim vs. Chicago: Ducks in 6

SCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): Rangers over Ducks in 6

Conn Smythe (Playoff MVP): Henrik Lundqvist

KreiderHouseRules*

First Head Coach to get fired: Bruce Boudreau
Under the radar breakout player: Mitch Marner outscores McDavid; Filip Forsberg scores 50
Presidents Trophy: Washington Capitals
Regular Season Eastern Conference Winner: Washington Capitals
Regular Season Western Conference Winner: Dallas Stars
Art Ross Trophy (top scorer): Sidney Crosby
Calder Trophy (ROY): Mitch Marner
Selke Trophy (DPOY): Anze Kopitar
Vezina Trophy (best goalie): Henrik Lundqvist
Norris Trophy (best defenseman): Drew Doughty
Jack Adams Trophy (best coach): Lindy Ruff
ECF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): NYR beat DET in 7
WCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): LAK beat CGY in 7
SCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): NYR beat LAK in 7

I also think Ovechkin wins the Rocket, with Stamkos close behind in 2nd place, and Filip Forsberg scoring 50 right behind them.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
First Head Coach to get fired: Bruce Boudreau
Under the radar breakout player: Mitch Marner outscores McDavid; Filip Forsberg scores 50
Presidents Trophy: Washington Capitals
Regular Season Eastern Conference Winner: Washington Capitals
Regular Season Western Conference Winner: Dallas Stars
Art Ross Trophy (top scorer): Sidney Crosby
Calder Trophy (ROY): Mitch Marner
Selke Trophy (DPOY): Anze Kopitar
Vezina Trophy (best goalie): Henrik Lundqvist
Jack Adams Trophy (best coach): Lindy Ruff
ECF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): NYR beat DET in 7
WCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): LAK beat CGY in 7
SCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): NYR beat LAK in 7

I also think Ovechkin wins the Rocket, with Stamkos close behind in 2nd place, and Filip Forsberg scoring 50 right behind them.

Welcome :cheers:

The only flaw I see with your predictions is that the Leafs sent Marner back to the OHL already. The Leafs are embracing the tank. I like where your head is at though, I had Marner rated over Strome at the draft.

Forsberg putting up 50 goals is bold, but not entirely impossible.

BarbaraAlphanse

We will make it to the ECF again. Anything short of that is a disaster. Even another ECF is a disappointment. The only way this season is a success is if we get a Broadway parade. A SCF loss will be ok, not a disappointment, but not anything we should be happy with.

They have some square pegs in round holes and I don't know if they'll be able to overcome that come playoff time.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
They have some square pegs in round holes and I don't know if they'll be able to overcome that come playoff time.

This team played 12 rounds of playoff hockey in the last 4 season. Experience is key. Also, sooner or later we will get lucky with a bounce going our way or few injuries or easy matchups.

The square pegs will get fixed by the trading deadline. The lineup will get adjusted with 2-4 trades before the end of the regular season. We'll probably rent someone too.

BarbaraAlphanse

This team played 12 rounds of playoff hockey in the last 4 season. Experience is key. Also, sooner or later we will get lucky with a bounce going our way or few injuries or easy matchups.

The square pegs will get fixed by the trading deadline. The lineup will get adjusted with 2-4 trades before the end of the regular season. We'll probably rent someone too.

You mean luckier than catching Philadelphia in the 1st round 2 years ago, followed up by an overrated Pitt, followed by a Price-less :)naughty:) Habs?

Or luckier than catching an even more overrated Pitt last year, followed by an offensively inept Capitals team, followed by a TB team helmed by a goalie with a torn groin for 4/7 games?

I'll change my tune if/when they figure out the whole Staal, Klein, Boyle situation and are also able to add a bonafide top 6 winger who will actually be able to help take some opposing defensive focus off of Nash.

Until then, I see the Rangers forcing someone not ready for top 6 duty on the wing with Step and Kreider. I see the Rangers forcing Victor Stalberg on the 3rd line when, as Leslie pointed out, he has been the most unreliable forward in the top 9 that the Rangers have iced. I see Tanner Glass still lurking, patiently binding his time to ruing our 4th line consistency. I see a defense that can be improved that still fields a 39 y/o guy regressing closer to the point of no return, his partner who has been exposed without a dominant puck manager like Stralman, and a suddenly and shockingly ineffective Kevin Klein, who came to this team and wasn't an ideal fit - then surged to top 2 defender on the team for the first 4 months last year - then returned from injury and has become a turnover machine incapable of even playing sound defense since.

Question marks:

Will Boyle regress past the point of no return this year?
Will Nash be able to carry the team barring a major acquisition during the playoffs?
Will Zucc be able to stay healthy?
Will Klein continue to look as bad as he has?
Will Staal continue to look lost without Stralman?
Will McDonagh continue to look lost as a captain?
Will Yandle be able to handle 2nd pairing defensive responsibilities that allows him more ice time?
Will Kreider remain his status quo self or take a leap?
Will Miller step up or continue playing defensively irresponsible?
Will Hayes suffer a sophomore slump, a tangible question considering what we've seen thus far.
Which Stalberg will show up? Chicago Stalberg or Nashville Stalberg?
How many games will Glass play? How many will he disrupt the Rangers in a negative way?
Will Lindberg be able to be effective in his first year?
Will Anti Raanta be able to play a decent chunk of the year and be successful, allowing Henrik freshness come April?

I think the Rangers really have some major questions. Most glaringly, the mess that is starting to become apparent between Boyle, Klein, and Staal. Coming close is the hole left by Marty (or should I say the dream of what Marty should have been) on the 2nd line. And then some valid questions about rookies and youth that may or may not make an impact/step up from previous totals.

But I guess all bets are off if they make these 2-4 major moves.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
First Head Coach to get fired: Canucks Coach - no clue who he is but if they start slow I can see him getting axed.
Under the radar breakout player: Dumba - Wild. Been hearing good things.
Presidents Cup: Tampa. Good team got even better. Scary thought.
Regular Season Eastern Conference Winner: TB
Regular Season Western Conference Winner: Ducks
Art Ross Trophy (top scorer): Seguin - added sharp to a strong duo in Benn/Seguin
Hart Trophy (MVP): Crosby
Calder Trophy (ROY): Eichel
Selke Trophy (DPOY): Bergeron
Vezina Trophy (best goalie): Hank
Norrs Trophy (best defenseman): Hedman
Jack Adams Trophy (best coach): CBJ coach
ECF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): Rangers-TBL. Rangers go into Tampa and steal Game 7. Return the favor.
WCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): Ducks-Kings. Ducks in 5. Think the Kings sneak a WC berth and ride the momentum. they run into a better version of themselves in the Ducks.
SCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): Rangers in 6. Well rested ducks take game one. Rangers rattle off three. Lose a close game 5 and win the cup on home ice! (A kid can dream)
Conn Smythe (Playoff MVP): Hank.

KreiderHouseRules*

Welcome :cheers:

The only flaw I see with your predictions is that the Leafs sent Marner back to the OHL already. The Leafs are embracing the tank. I like where your head is at though, I had Marner rated over Strome at the draft.

Forsberg putting up 50 goals is bold, but not entirely impossible.

Thanks!

And yea, I have very high expectations for Forsberg. He's got all the talent in the world, and he seems to know where to go and when to arrive (which Brett Hull once said was the most important mental aspect of scoring goals: when to arrive to your spot).

Perhaps the most impressive attribute, in my
opinion, is his release. Wrist, snap, slap, clapper; they all explode off of his stick. If you watch his goals from last season (there's a video of all his goals from 14-15 on YouTube), you can see that his release is so quick, but also very sneaky; goalies have problems tracking it from his stick and picking it up before it's already behind them. In my opinion, it rivals the release of Ovechkin and Stamkos.

I truly believe that if he stays healthy, Forsberg is a lock for at least 35 goals most seasons.

Anyway, back to NYR: I can't wait to see of some of our predictions come true!

P.S. I'm excited for Buchnevich next season (or potentially in this year's playoffs, but I'd hope we'd be in a better position heading into the post-season than needing a 21 year old rookie who's never played in North America to fill into our top-9.)

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
First Head Coach to get fired: Therrien
Under the radar breakout player: Dano
Presidents Trophy: Lightning
Regular Season Eastern Conference Winner: Lightning
Regular Season Western Conference Winner: Ducks
Art Ross Trophy (top scorer): Seguin
Hart Trophy (MVP): Ovechkin
Calder Trophy (ROY): Eichel
Selke Trophy (DPOY): Stepan ;)
Vezina Trophy (best goalie): Hank
Jack Adams Trophy (best coach): DeBoer (bold prediction)
ECF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games):Rangers V Lightning, Rangers in 6
WCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): Flames V Sharks, Flames in 7
SCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): Rangers V Flames, Rangers in 7
Conn Smythe (Playoff MVP): Hank

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
First Head Coach to get fired: Hitchcock
Under the radar breakout player: Chris Kreider
Presidents Trophy: Tampa Bay
Regular Season Eastern Conference Winner: Tampa Bay
Regular Season Western Conference Winner: Anaheim
Art Ross Trophy (top scorer): Ovechkin
Hart Trophy (MVP): Stamkos
Calder Trophy (ROY): McDavid
Selke Trophy (DPOY): Datsyuk
Vezina Trophy (best goalie): Henrik
Jack Adams Trophy (best coach): Tampas coach whose name is escaping me
ECF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): Rangers over Bolts in 7
WCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): Ducks Over Hawks in 7
SCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): Rangers over Ducks in 6
Conn Smythe (Playoff MVP): Henrik

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Theres too many question marks with this team to hang those sort of expectations on them. Lets see whats going on around the New Year.

Guys like Hayes, Miller, Stalberg, and Fast are going to need to step up considerably to put the Rangers on that plane. This remains to be seen.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
Call me when it's the post-season. We know the Rangers are making the playoffs. I'm not the one to say things are a given, but it's almost a lock for this team unless our top players get hurt.

Most of us will predict another Rangers/Lightning ECF.

This team is built to win now. It's a matter of beating the team we couldn't last year.

Rangers/Lightning in the ECF. Kings/Blues WCF. I'll leave it there.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
First Head Coach to get fired: Therrien
Under the radar breakout player: Jesper Fast
Presidents Trophy: Tampa Bay Lightning
Regular Season Eastern Conference Winner: Tampa Bay Lightning
Regular Season Western Conference Winner: Anaheim Ducks
Art Ross Trophy (top scorer): Sidney Crosby (having Kessel on his line, he could easily score 130+ IMO)
Calder Trophy (ROY): Eichel (going out on a limb)
Selke Trophy (DPOY): Bergeron
Vezina Trophy (best goalie): Lundqvist
Jack Adams Trophy (best coach): Jon Cooper
ECF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): Rematch of last year, but Rangers take it in 7 this time
WCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): Ducks vs. Wild. Ducks in 6
SCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): Rangers vs. Ducks. Rangers in 6
Conn Smythe (Playoff MVP): Keith Yandle

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
First Head Coach to get fired: McLellan
Under the radar breakout player: Nichushkin
Presidents Trophy: Ducks
Regular Season Eastern Conference Winner: Ducks
Regular Season Western Conference Winner: Lightning
Art Ross Trophy (top scorer): Crosby
Hart Trophy (MVP): Crosby
Calder Trophy (ROY): McDavid
Selke Trophy (DPOY): Kopitar
Vezina Trophy (best goalie): Lundqvist
Norrs Trophy (best defenseman): Weber
Jack Adams Trophy (best coach): Maurice
ECF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): Rangers over Caps in 6
WCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): Blues over Kings in 7
SCF (name the two teams and who wins in however many games): Rangers over Blues in 7
Conn Smythe (Playoff MVP): McDonagh

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Call me when it's the post-season. We know the Rangers are making the playoffs. I'm not the one to say things are a given, but it's almost a lock for this team unless our top players get hurt.

Most of us will predict another Rangers/Lightning ECF.

This team is built to win now. It's a matter of beating the team we couldn't last year.

Rangers/Lightning in the ECF. Kings/Blues WCF. I'll leave it there.

we were better than Washington, but not by much, and we barely made it past them. I'm not sold on this team continuing to win rounds. The sheer number of games has to take a tole at some point, though it might not be this season.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
So many people believe the Caps are making the finals. I have been watching the Caps for longer than I want to admit. They are the biggest choke artists in the NHL. Barry Trotz is loved by everyone. His teams haven't got out of the 2nd round. TJ Oshie disappears in the playoffs. Justin Williams is bringing his game 7 magic with him from LA?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
So many people believe the Caps are making the finals. I have been watching the Caps for longer than I want to admit. They are the biggest choke artists in the NHL. Barry Trotz is loved by everyone. His teams haven't got out of the 2nd round. TJ Oshie disappears in the playoffs. Justin Williams is bringing his game 7 magic with him from LA?

The only time they make the 2nd round is when they get someone other than Rangers/Pens in the 1st round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad