2015-16 Central Division Thoughts / Discussion

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
While I never intended this thread to be an annual endeavor, it draws some intelligent discourse and prognostication is an enjoyable exercise (we're undefeated right now!) so here we go. Previous years' threads from our forum are below; I will update the thread with links to those from our division rivals' forums as they are created as well.

NOTE TO FANS OF RIVAL TEAMS
You may post in this thread, but you must be extra civil.

PREVIOUS NSH FORUM PREDICTION THREADS
2014/15 Thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1709753&highlight=division
2013/14 Thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1464625&highlight=division

CURRENT DIVISION RIVALS' PRESEASON PREDICTION THREADS
[TO BE UPDATED]

2014-15 STANDINGS (Division / Conference / NHL)
Division Sorted by Points
[spoil]
pjLu6R8.png
[/spoil]

Conference Sorted by Points
[spoil]
hlfjfDb.png
[/spoil]

NHL Sorted by Points
[spoil]
ykcEKST.png
[/spoil]

2014-15 DISCUSSION / PREDICTIONS REVIEW
Last year, instead of a forced ranking, I grouped the teams into three tiers as follows (actual results in parentheses):

Guaranteed Playoffs / Contenders
Chicago (3rd in Central; won the Stanley Cup :()
St. Louis (Central champs, lost to MIN in first round)

Fighting for Playoffs / Unlikely Champions
Dallas (6th in Central, missed playoffs)
Nashville (2nd in Central, lost to CHI in first round :()
Minnesota (4th in Central, beat STL in first round, lost to CHI in second)
Colorado (Last in Central, missed playoffs)

Unlikely Playoff Candidates
Winnipeg (5th in Central, lost to ANA in first round)

All in all, not a bad guess; I expected COL to miss, but did not expect WPG to make it in lieu of DAL. I would like to pat myself on the back for this one though:

The Ghost of Cashville's Past said:
3) Colorado is going to fall off a cliff. They are not a better team than last year and their shooting % / SV % figures were extraordinary last year. Winnipeg actually gives them a run for their money in the race to not finish last.

Again, off on WPG, but COL definitely fell into an abyss for much of the season before making a decent rally at the end.

OFF-SEASON TRANSACTIONS
EDITOR'S NOTE: Please help me amend this list if you see missing items; this is a pain to track in the post-Cap Geek world. The most difficult thing for me is keeping track of middling/low-end free agents that left a team; same goes for middling players who signed as a free agent (e.g. I thought Bortuzzo signed with the Blues at first as I always remembered him on PIT; he actually was traded in March of last year and is a re-signing).

Nashville
  • Re-signed Fisher, Ribeiro, Wilson, Smith, Bourque, and Jarnkrok
  • Signed Jackman and Hodgson
  • Traded Beck for Devane (TOR), 4th for Reinhart (CGY), Hellberg for 6th (NYR)
  • Lost Stalberg, Clune, Franson, Cullen, Volchenkov, Beck, Hellberg, and Santorelli

Winnipeg
  • Re-signed Stafford, Pardy, Burmistrov (back from KHL), Hustlechuck, Chiarot, Peluso, and Postma
  • Lost Frolik

Chicago
  • Re-signed van Riemsdyk (Trevor), Desjardins, Tikhonov, Rundblad. Anisimov (post-trade)
  • Traded Saad for Anisimov / Morin / Dano / Tropp (WPG), Sharp / Johns for Daley / Garbutt (DAL), Nilsson for Coughlin (EDM)
  • Lost Richards, Vermette, Oduya, Sharp, Saad, Nilsson

Dallas
  • Re-signed Oduya (post-trade), Oleksiak, Eaves, Niemi (post-trade), McKenzie
  • Traded 7th for rights to Niemi (SJ), Daley / Garbutt for Sharp / Johns (CHI)
  • Lost Daley, Garbutt

St. Louis
  • Re-signed Tarasenko ($$$), Jaskin, Allen, Bortuzzo, Lehtera, Butler
  • Signed Brodziak
  • Traded Oshie for Brouwer / Copley / 3rd (WSH)
  • Lost Oshie

Minnesota
  • Re-signed Haula, Folin, Dubnyk, Granlund, Knight, Michalek, Carter, Prosser, and Reilly (Mike)
  • Traded 5th for 5th (BOS)
  • Lost Cooke (buyout), ???

Colorado
  • Re-signed Grigorenko (post-trade), Soderberg (post-trade)
  • Signed Comeau, Beauchemin
  • Traded O'Reilly / McGinn for Grigorenko / Zadorov / Compher / 2nd (BUF), 6th for rights to Soderberg (BOS), 2nd for 2nd / 2nd in 2016 / 6th in 2017 (SJ)
  • Lost O'Reilly, McGinn, Hejda, Briere, and Wilson

CENTRAL DIVISION PREDICTIONS
I will be force ranking all teams with estimated point totals instead of the vague tier system I employed last time and I would encourage others to do the same so we can point and laugh at those were spectacularly wrong. I took last seasons standings, decided my 2015-16 intradivisional rankings, then applied the proportion of the total point total for each rank in last year's standings to my estimated total for next year. It's a pseudo-scientific method that will likely fail spectacularly; nonetheless for reference:

[spoil]
SueqNqn.png
[/spoil]

#1 :blues
They are not materially better than last year, but they are not worse really either. Oshie is a loss to consider, but the kid has had one 20-goal season and has been outscored by Brouwer over the last three. The team has been a regular season machine for a number of years now and I don't foresee any issues taking another Central crown.

#2 :stars
I have been bullish on this team for ~3 years now; every single year I am wrong. I will likely be wrong again this year. Last year they started slow, had atrocious goaltending (like come on Kari), and couldn't get back to par before the music stopped. Signing Niemi is kind of crazy because they now have amongst the highest goal cap hits in the league, but also kind of smart as it gives them a legitimate option should Lehtonen fall apart (unfortunately Lindback was not able to fill that role last year). If DAL gets #2 in the Central in 2015-2016, it will be because they have the highest GF/G in the league; their defense is still highly suspect even with the Klingberg coming out party. Can they push an obscene scoring rate over a season? We'll see, but the tools are definitely there.

#3 :wild
I don't like the Wild and I really want to put them at like #6, but it's a solid top-to-bottom team. They have a decent forward corps and a very solid blue line; Dubnyk is the million dollar question. He's not going to have another season like last year, but I think MIN can be very competitive if he's in the 915-920 area on SV%.

#4 :nashville
Why are you putting us at #4!? We barely lost anyone and added Jackman to solidify the bottom pairing? And so forth. On paper, LA or CHI will win the cup every year; fortunately, the game is not played on paper, but that is also part of the reason I see us regressing a bit. Lavi was the first new coach in over 15 years; that alone made it a special season emotionally. If you reflect honestly, you'll also notice that almost everything that needed to pan out for us, did pan out. Forsberg had an epic campaign, our risk on Ribeiro paid off tremendously, Rinne had an epic run to the ASG break (tailed off after), etc. There is certainly some upside for Neal as he was not particularly impressive, but I just get the sensation we're going to take a step backwards on a relative basis.

#5 :hawks
The Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup in 2010 then spent two years barely making the playoffs and losing in the first round largely due to cap issues and necessary roster dumps. The 2015-16 iteration of this team has many of the same issues (to a lesser extent) and I think you see a similar short term decline. I do not want to make this into a thread about the current Patrick Kane ordeal; all I will say is that the allegations are serious and it is definitely something that will not help their team. On record, I think the 2015-16 Chicago Blackhawks miss the playoffs barely. Some angry Hawks fan is going to come in here and say I'm crazy; they very well could be correct.

#6 :avs
The Avs got a surprisingly good return out of the O'Reilly trade given the circumstances. I think the Avs are trending in the right direction, but need another year in the oven. Blue line remains suspect, but Varlamov is a solid tender and if he goes on another run like two years ago, they could be a very competitive team.

#7 :jets
Someone has to be last in this division. Take how I feel about Dallas, invert it, and you have my feelings about the Jets. No matter how you slice it, they are a fringe playoff team in the Central that did not get appreciably better in the off-season. Frankly, I could theoretically see them finishing anywhere from #3 to #7.

CONCLUSION

Go Perds!
:nashville

Last edited:

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Great read! Might do my predictions a bit later on.

Preds also lost Volchenkov to free agency. As for CapGeek, I've found General Fanager to be a really useful tool. Check it out.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Avs fan here. This looks like an interesting thread to keep an eye on. Appreciate the welcome to outsiders.

For our "lost" those on NHL contracts are Jan Hejda, Daniel Briere, Ryan Wilson. None have signed elsewhere.

A couple of members from the Avs board completed a podcast just on the division. I hope this isn't taken as advertising, nobody makes money off of this, just fans who like to discuss hockey in depth. I feel like it was an informative even handed approach to all teams, no Avs homering either (one guy is extra high on Nashville too :) So might be of interest to those who enjoy this topic about the division. I will remove if y'all feel it's not appropriate to your thread. http://talkingtheavs.podbean.com/e/talking-the-avs-episode-2/

I feel like one could draw names out of a hat and come up with the order for this division. It's just too tight and too competitive. I'd lean towards the experience of Chicago and St Louis if I was going to make a bet but I do feel like there will be a changing of the guard some day sooner than later.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Good read, but I just don't believe in Dallas until I have a reason to. I guess that's easier said than done in March than August.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Soderberg is a forward.

Yeah, I totally airballed here. Saw the trade with BOS, saw the name, and immediately thought of Seidenberg erroneously. Edited appropriately.

The Jets lost Michael Frolik (very valuable piece)

Thanks

Avs fan here. This looks like an interesting thread to keep an eye on. Appreciate the welcome to outsiders.

For our "lost" those on NHL contracts are Jan Hejda, Daniel Briere, Ryan Wilson. None have signed elsewhere.

A couple of members from the Avs board completed a podcast just on the division. I hope this isn't taken as advertising, nobody makes money off of this, just fans who like to discuss hockey in depth. I feel like it was an informative even handed approach to all teams, no Avs homering either (one guy is extra high on Nashville too :) So might be of interest to those who enjoy this topic about the division. I will remove if y'all feel it's not appropriate to your thread. http://talkingtheavs.podbean.com/e/talking-the-avs-episode-2/

I feel like one could draw names out of a hat and come up with the order for this division. It's just too tight and too competitive. I'd lean towards the experience of Chicago and St Louis if I was going to make a bet but I do feel like there will be a changing of the guard some day sooner than later.

Thanks for the notes on the Avs. While I did put forth ranked predictions, I honestly feel that almost every team in this division could finish in the #3 or #4 spot if things pan out well for them. I will check out the podcast during lunch.

Great read! Might do my predictions a bit later on.

Preds also lost Volchenkov to free agency. As for CapGeek, I've found General Fanager to be a really useful tool. Check it out.

Thanks

Cool link; I used http://www.thescore.com/nhl/offseason which does the same in a pretty nice interface.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Nice write up. To be honest, I don't think they're a lot that separates most of the central.

I think Chicago and StLou take a small step backwards.

Avs, Wild are wildcards - is Dubnyk really as good as he was last year? Is Varlamov as bad as he was last year, and what the heck is going on with MacKinnon and their forward corps?

What are we going to get from Rinne - was he hurt, tired, or is he on the decline? Will our youngsters continue to grow?

Winnipeg still doesn't look as talented as most of the rest of the central, and I'm not drinking the Dallas kool-aid. Sure, they might score at a pretty good clip, but no one can convince me that they're not the southern version of Edmonton (all O, no D).

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Nice write up. To be honest, I don't think they're a lot that separates most of the central.

I think Chicago and StLou take a small step backwards.

Avs, Wild are wildcards - is Dubnyk really as good as he was last year? Is Varlamov as bad as he was last year, and what the heck is going on with MacKinnon and their forward corps?

What are we going to get from Rinne - was he hurt, tired, or is he on the decline? Will our youngsters continue to grow?

Winnipeg still doesn't look as talented as most of the rest of the central, and I'm not drinking the Dallas kool-aid. Sure, they might score at a pretty good clip, but no one can convince me that they're not the southern version of Edmonton (all O, no D).
Varlamov put up a .921 save percentage. Not really bad at all.

This is a terrible division to be in. You can make an argument for any team to make the playoffs.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA

This is a terrible division to be in. You can make an argument for any team to make the playoffs.

I think you can make an argument for 6 teams definitely, I'm still looking for Dallas' Defense & Goaltending ... still looks like they're trying to outscore their problem

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I think you can make an argument for 6 teams definitely, I'm still looking for Dallas' Defense & Goaltending ... still looks like they're trying to outscore their problem

Lehtonen is better than he was last year. If he's not, Niemi has won a cup and proven himself to be generally satisfactory. DAL will live or die by the blueline and scoring pace. We'll see what happens.

Also, I am assuming WPG is the #7 team in your "you can make an argument for 6" comment. The crazy thing is that everyone and their cat had WPG at #7 last year (most with NSH at #6 as well if you read my thread from last year) and they cruised to the playoffs in the end. A sweep is a sweep, but if you watched that series against ANA, they put up a damn good fight. Long way of saying that this division is the worst.

And Hedman.

I think you posted this as I was writing it; Drake's comparison is not far off, but Hedman is easily a 10-20 blueliner in the league (fringe 5-10). Having that anchor is a big deal.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Dallas doesn't have the D that other teams have in the division. Same can be said for Colorado. While they are scary offensively, championships are won with solid D and that includes the forwards. Chicago, St. Louis and us are the best teams in the division based on this. Minnesota rode a hot goalie for half a season and while their overall team D is solid, they are a notch below IMO.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville

You're right, I had to look it up, but you're right.

I guess that he was so spectacular the year before, that a slight regression made it look worse than he was.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
This is awesome! Thanks for putting this together along with the thoughts on the teams performance. I am smarter for having read this.

I do have a nitpick - on the Chicago summary of moves. You list some players that were traded as losses, but Chicago is the only team that lists traded players as such. Makes it a challenge to do a quick eyeball comparison of losses amongst our rivals.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
This is awesome! Thanks for putting this together along with the thoughts on the teams performance. I am smarter for having read this.

I do have a nitpick - on the Chicago summary of moves. You list some players that were traded as losses, but Chicago is the only team that lists traded players as such. Makes it a challenge to do a quick eyeball comparison of losses amongst our rivals.

Thanks dog! I find the intra-divisional expectations to be the best part of the offseason; really enjoy speculation from others regardless of NSH's perception in said speculation.

EDIT: And I made the changes to the OP per your comments. I put anyone who was traded as a loss as well. The "Lost" line is just meant to be a quick reference of who is no longer with a team, regardless of departure circumstances (e.g. trade, buyout, free agency, etc.).

Last edited:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Lehtonen is better than he was last year. If he's not, Niemi has won a cup and proven himself to be generally satisfactory. DAL will live or die by the blueline and scoring pace. We'll see what happens.

Also, I am assuming WPG is the #7 team in your "you can make an argument for 6" comment. The crazy thing is that everyone and their cat had WPG at #7 last year (most with NSH at #6 as well if you read my thread from last year) and they cruised to the playoffs in the end. A sweep is a sweep, but if you watched that series against ANA, they put up a damn good fight. Long way of saying that this division is the worst.

I think you posted this as I was writing it; Drake's comparison is not far off, but Hedman is easily a 10-20 blueliner in the league (fringe 5-10). Having that anchor is a big deal.

Wpg fan here. Not surprised to see outsiders selling us short having lost Frolic (substantial loss indeed), but the biggest drawback is still our goaltending (hold your nose & hope on Pavs).

Nevertheless, if our goaltending can hold up (Hutch has to be our hope) I don't see us taking a step back. Burmi has returned & he is at least as good as Frolic defensively with less offence. Scheifele is due for a breakout season, especially if a talented rookie gets inserted on that line. The biggest difference will be who makes it into our top 9 as a rookie (if you see either Petan or Ehlers, that's a big step up offensively; more than enough to make up for Frolic).

Another huge difference could be our perennially bad 4th line. Slater is gone. Thorburn & some of his sidekicks unfortunately still linger. But, hoping/expecting Copp to move into C & maybe Armia/Petan gets a shot on the wing. If we can get 6 mins/night out of our 4th line this season, that will be a huge improvement & stand us in better shape should we reach the playoffs.

Hellebuyck unfortunately doesn't likely make it to the Jets this season as our goalie. When he does, it will usher in a vast improvement on paper. Still, if our existing goalies can perform at an average rate, I see us as playoff bound and no worse than 4th in the Central.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I think anyone who paid attention to anything last year knows the Jets are in pretty good position to contend for the playoffs. Predicting Winnipeg will finish in last place can be chalked up to "this division is brutal and someone will have to be last.

Personally my money is on Colorado.

St. Louis
Chicago
Nashville
Minnesota
Winnipeg
Dallas
Colorado

I'm waiting to believe in Dallas, but I can't until they actually do something of relevance for an entire year.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Chicago. Assuming no great fall-out from the Kane mess, is still the team to beat. Not necessarily for the division - but they were third last year, too. Yep, lost some guys like Sharp and Saad; nope, the "new" guys aren't as good. But - they still have arguably the best F and D persons in the division in Toews and Keith. More importantly, though, is they gave up fewest goals other than Price/Montreal last year. Until the D weakens enough that Crawford/Darling look more human like we made them look in the POs - and nobody did better than we did in that regard - they have to be, overall, the team to beat in the Conference.

That said, it's StL and the Preds for the Division top - Dallas doesn't have the backend, and I refuse to believe DD is good enough to carry a team all season (or maybe it's my lingering disgust for Liarpold and $uter - YMMV). It's a tough call to order up the 4; COL is the loser, though, that D is as brutal as Dallas' and at some point Roy is gonna' get as tiring as Hitchcock apparently has.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think Colorado is last, I just don't see it with them. Yeah they have solid players, but they also have some pretty serious holes.

Until Dallas proves they can keep someone from scoring I won't be sold on them. Yeah they have the ability to put up a ton of goals, but they are going to need to imo.

Winnipeg will contend for a playoff spot unless they just fall apart somewhere, but don't see much more than that from them.

Minny I'm not sold on either because I think teams will start figuring out the new Dubs and I'm still not convinced that last season wasn't anything but a fluke. If it wasn't they will be dangerous, if it is they are gonna be hurting.

Chicago is Chicago. Even without Kane they are still pretty decent. Not gonna doubt them until I see it fall apart.

St. Louis I can't help but feel like there is something there internally that is going to cause issues and they won't be as good as they should be.

Us, well lets face it, we need Peks from the first of the year and not the end. Weber needs to be decent and the forwards need to be at least as good as last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad