2015-16 Calder Poll: Red Wings' Larkin leads the way in November

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
dylan_larkin_detroit_112915.jpg
Photo: Detroit Red Wings rookie forward Dylan Larkin has made a smooth transition so far from NCAA hockey last season to the NHL in 2015-16 (courtesy of Scott W. Grau/Icon Sportswire)

</p>A clavicle injury to Edmonton Oilers center Connor McDavid, the first player taken in the 2015 NHL Draft, has sidelined the 18-year-old until mid-January at the earliest. With McDavid — the leader in the initial Hockey’s Future Calder Trophy staff poll last month — out of action, the Detroit Red Wings‘ Dylan Larkin and Chicago Blackhawks‘ Artemi Panarin are out in front of the field after putting up big numbers in November.… read more

The post 2015-16 Calder Poll: Red Wings’ Larkin leads the way in November appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I hope he doesn't win, his bonus is not good for the cap. Second place, rooting for Larkin to finish right in second. :laugh:

He can finish in the same spot in the Conn Smythe voting as well.:D

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I hope he doesn't win, his bonus is not good for the cap. Second place, rooting for Larkin to finish right in second. :laugh:

He can finish in the same spot in the Conn Smythe voting as well.:D

How much is the bonus hit to the cap? Someone told me it was like a couple hundred thousand. That's not that much enough to care.
I honestly think his years playing professionally in the KHL deter some people for voting him.

It should. The KHL is clearly a pro league. It's as black and white as it gets.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How much is the bonus hit to the cap? Someone told me it was like a couple hundred thousand. That's not that much enough to care.

It should. The KHL is clearly a pro league. It's as black and white as it gets.

The AHL is clearly a pro league it does not disqualify those guys.

For the record in my opinion the AHL is closer in talent to the KHL than the KHL is to the NHL. I think they KHL is only a slightly better league than the AHL. The adjustment is still big in my opinion.

On the Larkin thing it depends on the contract, but most first rounders have the ability to substantially bonus, usually around the 2 million range. I have a feeling we will find out exactly what his bonuses are soon enough with him keeping it up it is usually reported at some point.

Remember this is actually what put the Hawks in a tougher cap spot after their first cup, Toews had a fairly substantial bonus tied to being the Conn Smythe winner.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

For the record in my opinion the AHL is closer in talent to the KHL than the KHL is to the NHL. I think they KHL is only a slightly better league than the AHL. The adjustment is still big in my opinion.

On the Larkin thing it depends on the contract, but most first rounders have the ability to substantially bonus, usually around the 2 million range. I have a feeling we will find out exactly what his bonuses are soon enough with him keeping it up it is usually reported at some point.

Remember this is actually what put the Hawks in a tougher cap spot after their first cup, Toews had a fairly substantial bonus tied to being the Conn Smythe winner.

I imagine there are bigger cap ramifications for the Conn Smythe than the Calder, I also seem to recall Kane also got a substantial bonus, I think it might have been correlated with the deep playoff run?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

The AHL is still a development league first and foremost. There are KHLers named to Olympic rosters. That never happens with AHL rosters unless we're talking about the most obscure of countries.

Either way, last I checked, Pan had played 200-300 games there. That's a world of experience and isn't really what the Calder was intended to reward IMO. He'd basically be getting an award for making the transition to NA hockey.

And as I said in the main thread, if Pan does win, I wouldn't be surprised if we see an amendment to the Calder rules based on pro games played.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Panarin really shouldn't be counted. I don't think anyone after 23 should be counted.

Aug 6, 2012
Panarin really shouldn't be counted. I don't think anyone after 23 should be counted.

Its not like he's a seasoned vet or anything... Panarin is outrageously good even in his first season in NA. He definitely deserves to be in contention for the Calder.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Its not like he's a seasoned vet or anything... Panarin is outrageously good even in his first season in NA. He definitely deserves to be in contention for the Calder.

He's played over 300 KHL games before coming to the NHL. The KHL is considered the 2nd best professional hockey league in the world. I certainly don't consider him a rookie like Larkin, Domi, or Eichel, who are just getting their first sniffs of pro hockey at 18/19 yo.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I for one want Panarin to win and Larkin to finish second. We don't have to worry about a bonus for Larkin and watch the Hawks (who always have cap trouble) deal with a bonus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad