WC: 2015 — Team Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Agree. I thought Edler was fantastic during the short period he played. Hedman lost his spot after his bad WC. The same people critizising MÃ¥rts for not picking Hedman would also critizise him for picking Hedman, if he had a bad tournament. Personally I find Hedman a bit overrated in this thread, he wasn't THAT good back then so I don't see this as a very big deal. MÃ¥rts went with the chemistry tactic so three pairings were already set, and they did not include Hedman. I'm fine with him bringing a locker room guy as the 7th D, lot's of guys could fill that role. I personally wanted Brodin over Hedman.

No spot for him.

I would not, Hedman's play in 2014 (and 2013 for that matter) merited him a place on that roster. That is the bottom line and I would have had him on the roster before players like Oduya, Ericsson, and yes, Edler. Edler was great, but there was a risk in picking him since he 1) did not have a great year in the NHL and 2) he was suspended the first 2 games. Things worked out for him anyway, but 10 times out of 10 I would have picked Hedman ahead of Edler at the time.

bobbyt911

Backlund informed Marts that he is/was playing with an injury. This was a couple of weeks ago when he was still playing.

any news as to why Nylander isn't there? they have Lander?? IMO Nylander should be ahead of him. I also heard a rumor that MLSE told Kessel, JVR etc that they couldn't go cause they felt that their effort was soo abysmal that any reward was unearned.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
any news as to why Nylander isn't there? they have Lander?? IMO Nylander should be ahead of him. I also heard a rumor that MLSE told Kessel, JVR etc that they couldn't go cause they felt that their effort was soo abysmal that any reward was unearned.

He has never played for the national team. He won't get called in late unless he puts up numbers in the NHL.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall

Nylander... overrated primadona only glide around on the ice and don't wanna do the dirty job I'm fine without him.

bobbyt911

Nylander... overrated primadona only glide around on the ice and don't wanna do the dirty job I'm fine without him.

I think your off on that assessment. He has no fear of going to the dirty areas in the AHL.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
After Nylanders ****** performance in the WJC playoffs there is no way he could be of any real use for us right now.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Lander is more experienced and a very solid two-way defender. I would not be against bringing in Nylander, he has had a good year, but remember that Lander was over PPG in AHL for two straight seasons, captain of OKC and relied on in all situations (PP, PK, last minutes defending leads, last minutes chasing, etc.). Add to that his 1/2 breakout season (on pace for 43 points if 82 GP) and that Nylander was still playing when the WHC began at it really isn't that hard to understand.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

After Nylanders ****** performance in the WJC playoffs there is no way he could be of any real use for us right now.

Stop dumping on Nylander. He have done great in the AHL this year and no, he is not floating around afraid to get hit in the dirty areas. He actually drives the net and does his best along the boards, even do that is not his style. But it is not more grinders we need anyway.

And Nylander was not only one of our youngest players in the WJC, he was also one of our best players. Picking him out because he was not able to elevate his play and drag the team like if he was the reincarnation of Forsberg is not fair. He had a good/great tournament.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Stop dumping on Nylander. He have done great in the AHL this year and no, he is not floating around afraid to get hit in the dirty areas. He actually drives the net and does his best along the boards, even do that is not his style. But it is not more grinders we need anyway.

And Nylander was not only one of our youngest players in the WJC, he was also one of our best players. Picking him out because he was not able to elevate his play and drag the team like if he was the reincarnation of Forsberg is not fair. He had a good/great tournament.
So do you really think he would be of any use in a quarterfinal against Finland or Russia? I don't.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
So do you really think he would be of any use in a quarterfinal against Finland or Russia? I don't.

That was not the question. You brought up his showing in the WJC as something negative, I simly stated he had a good showing for Sweden.

And is he more talented and would do a better job then some of the current players on the roster today? Yes and debatable.

Yes in that he blows some of the current players away in terms of skating, puck handling and hockey IQ. Debatable in that he lacks experience and have already played more games this season then he have ever done before and I reckon he needs the rest.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

I definitely think so. But again, not ahead of Lander. I'd let him have a look on the 2nd line and I think he could have been a fit.

That said he is not a player you wait for. If he had been available for the pre-tournament games I would have expected Marts to give him a try out.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
MÃ¥rts is a fantastic coach, but should not be picking the team. Boustedt should have overruled his Edler/Oduya/Tallinder selections ahead of Hedman/Brodin for the OG. The Edler selection bothered me even more than the Tallinder one, since MÃ¥rts claimed that he was due some loyalty back for coming to the WHC 2013 and getting suspended...
I think he picks the team to put himself in position to become a "fantastic coach".

For example, I, among others, was sceptical to the picking of Lander, especially as the 1C. In hindsight, MÃ¥rts and co. should be praised. To be able to better himself like he has despite belonging to the black hole (for development) called the Oilers is impressive. The dude got to have great character.

There are plenty of players to choose from. And there are plenty who declnie. Wich particular ones that ends up on the team is less important, it is the same for every nation. The important thing is to win games and play good hockey whit what we got. And they have succeded whit that so far in general. Though the tournament hasn't really started yet, anyways..

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I would not, Hedman's play in 2014 (and 2013 for that matter) merited him a place on that roster. That is the bottom line and I would have had him on the roster before players like Oduya, Ericsson, and yes, Edler. Edler was great, but there was a risk in picking him since he 1) did not have a great year in the NHL and 2) he was suspended the first 2 games. Things worked out for him anyway, but 10 times out of 10 I would have picked Hedman ahead of Edler at the time.

Hedman is a player who should be on the team, that is what one can say about that. Sweden got massive depth on the D. For example players as Douglas Murray can be glad that he isn't in his prime now, he can be as hard-nosed as he want he still wouldn't make the team.

Yes Edler had a bad season back then but as the set-piece philosophy was so strong then it kind of explains his presence. If one abandon that, then Odoyua would have been dropped before Edler. Anyway the Swedish D-landscape has changed now. As I stated around the time for the Olympics: it is the next Olympics which is Sweden's year. The D then will have the potential to be the best in the world, well only Canada can compete at all and it looks not to strong In comparision.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Hedman is a player who should be on the team, that is what one can say about that. Sweden got massive depth on the D. For example players as Douglas Murray can be glad that he isn't in his prime now, he can be as hard-nosed as he want he still wouldn't make the team.

Yes Edler had a bad season back then but as the set-piece philosophy was so strong then it kind of explains his presence. If one abandon that, then Odoyua would have been dropped before Edler. Anyway the Swedish D-landscape has changed now. As I stated around the time for the Olympics: it is the next Olympics which is Sweden's year. The D then will have the potential to be the best in the world, well only Canada can compete at all and it looks not to strong In comparision.

He was tbh better in NHL on the small ice then he ever was here in Sweden on the big one:D but for sure Douglas is a player you can have good use with as a "police" on the ice so ppl thing 1 or twice before they do any cheap shots!

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

Nylander have many haters because of his personality, but Nylander is a difference maker type of player.. Nylander have handle all levels just fine, SHL/AHL/WJC, he has dominate everywhere he has played so far. Sedins/Forsberg/Brodin/MPS did just fine in WHC at that age, I see no reason why Nylander would not.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus

Nylander is not at Lander's level.

He has a lot to prove to get there too. In my eyes, overrated and seems to have a big ego.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Nylander has a great personality from every interview I've seen. (Hint:I've seen them all since he's been drafted) He is actually very humble and a great personality and prides himself on being swedish and has nothing but good things to say about the swedish game. In his latest interview he commented "Us swedes really take care of ourselves, we're always on the ice and in the gym.."

Him and Loov are hilarious, and the part about Granberg is so funny.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Not sure what Josefson is doing on this team. I didn't really like Rask against Russia either.

Ekholm & Forsberg will be huge additions though.

Do you guys still think Josefson doesn't belong on the team? 2G 2A so far in the tournament. Not bad for the 4th line checker.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
The Sjögren obsession from Wikegård and Lindström has to stop, sure he is a good player but he is not nearly as important to the team or as good as, Möller, OEL, Forsberg or Lindström for that matter.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Right now Lander is much better (but older). Look at Landers AHL numbers versus Nylanders. Lander was a PPG+ player in the A. Hes also a good shutdown center who goes into the dirty areas and can handle top opposition

Nylander is a much better prospect, but Lander is better at this very moment

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Right now Lander is much better (but older). Look at Landers AHL numbers versus Nylanders. Lander was a PPG+ player in the A. Hes also a good shutdown center who goes into the dirty areas and can handle top opposition

Nylander is a much better prospect, but Lander is better at this very moment

They have about the same numbers in AHL. NHL/AHL numbers do not always mean so much when it comes to internationally play. Crosby has been good, but has yet again fail to live up to the hype so far internationally, even though canada has done well. Klingberg has been very good in WHC, but he is still far away from OEL standard, but in NHL klingberg have better PPG than OEL.

So AHL numbers beside, they are very different kinds of players. Lander is maybe a more complete player, but I would say Nylander is head and shoulders above Lander when it comes to elite offensive skills, Nylander is a much better playmaker than Lander is now, and that is what we are missing, some forwards with that extra offensvily.

Lander has 4p in 7 games so far as a first line center when his own linemates have 9 p each, it is not very impressing. He has been solid and I like him, but at this point of his career he is more of a bottom 6 kind of guy in the national team.

With that said I would have wanted to have both in the team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad