WC: 2015 — Team Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I ignored the goalies because I originally wanted the list to be about the injured players, and neither goalie really fits into that categorie. The brackets were just later additions and I couldn't be bothered to add brackets to an otherwise empty goalie-category ;)

The improved depth is really noticeable, especially on offense, a surprising amount of talent for how many players are missing.

Now that I think about it, Greilinger is missing as well, though that could be for other reasons, he hardly played for Germany last season either. Or did he even retire from the team?
Festerling might fit into the injured category as well, though he rarely played for Germany under Cortina anyway.

It's still a pity that Köppchen had retired. Cortina got close to having him return, only to blow it completely. Another of our best defensemen missing for no good reason whatsoever.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I ignored the goalies because I originally wanted the list to be about the injured players, and neither goalie really fits into that categorie. The brackets were just later additions and I couldn't be bothered to add brackets to an otherwise empty goalie-category ;)

The improved depth is really noticeable, especially on offense, a surprising amount of talent for how many players are missing.

Now that I think about it, Greilinger is missing as well, though that could be for other reasons, he hardly played for Germany last season either. Or did he even retire from the team?
Festerling might fit into the injured category as well, though he rarely played for Germany under Cortina anyway.

It's still a pity that Köppchen had retired. Cortina got close to having him return, only to blow it completely. Another of our best defensemen missing for no good reason whatsoever.

Barta is also retired, right?

Köppchen really would be a huge upgrade for this team.
I guess all our forwards, but the centers in particular will have to play an incredible two-way-game to keep this defense together.

We can only hope that some players we don't expect rise to the occasion.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
I'm surprised that Mebus made the team ahead of J.Müller and Ebner.

I'm honestly a little floored by this. First time I saw him was in the Oberliga playoffs a couple of years ago when he played for Duisburg and even on that level, you could see that his skating is just not on an acceptable level and he's not tremendously skilled or anything to make up for it. I thought he might make the DEL based on sheer size and he ultimately did. Still, pretty much every time I watched a Krefeld game (which, to be fair, wasn't that often), he got walked because he just couldn't keep up with players that can stickhandle at high speeds. This is going to be awful.

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
That defense is scary bad. I don't know if can must muster enough courage to watch them play this time. :D

sturmthis

@Zen_44
Jun 29, 2007
Active Players Retired from the National Team

Goaltender - Dimitrij Kotschnew (Hamburg)

Defenceman - Sascha Goc (Schwenninger WW)
Defenceman - Mirko Lüdemann (Köln)

Forward - Jochen Hecht (Mannheim)
Forward - John Tripp (FA)
Forward - Alexander Barta (München)
Forward - Florian Busch (Berlin)
Forward - Daniel Kreutzer (Düsseldorf)

If anyone knows of any other players, we can add them to the list.​

olliho

Apr 1, 2008

Greilinger could not score that much on international level, even when he was a point per game player in the DEL. The last two years he played 3rd or 4th Line in Ingolstadt and his scoring was going down. But in the playoffs he was very good.

I think Cortina likes other (younger) players in a scoring offensiv role more then Greilinger.

Köppchen is in, very nice for him and the team. Well deserved.

But in my opinion just a world class performance from one of the Goalies Endras or Pille could save us from relegation.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
But in my opinion just a world class performance from one of the Goalies Endras or Pille could save us from relegation.

We play against France and Austria, while those two can certainly beat us, we wouldn't need a world class goalie performance to not get relegated.

A world class performance could lead the team into the quarterfinals. A good goalie performance should see the team finish maybe 6th or so, provided the rest of the team plays adequately.

hage

Mar 9, 2011
What about Eduard Lewandowski? Decent KHL player for years. Physical and big with good experiance.

I was just thinking about him aswell. Ever since he went to the KHL I have never heard of him again. Maybe he retired from the NT.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
I was just thinking about him aswell. Ever since he went to the KHL I have never heard of him again. Maybe he retired from the NT.

I can't find anything to suggest that. Here's an article from two years ago where he seems very motivated to make the national team again. Could be another case of Cortina and the gang not having internet access and therefore being unaware of his existence. ;)

As for Greiss, this article says that he has declined an invitation, which seems strange. Previous articles did not mention him at all, so it might be just a case of "nobody said anything about him and he didn't get nominated, so he must have declined the invitation". Seems foolish of him to actually decline since the injury risk for goalies is relatively low, he's certainly not overplayed and as an upcoming UFA, he could use a strong showing in an international tournament to get teams interested.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I can't find anything to suggest that. Here's an article from two years ago where he seems very motivated to make the national team again. Could be another case of Cortina and the gang not having internet access and therefore being unaware of his existence. ;)

As for Greiss, this article says that he has declined an invitation, which seems strange. Previous articles did not mention him at all, so it might be just a case of "nobody said anything about him and he didn't get nominated, so he must have declined the invitation". Seems foolish of him to actually decline since the injury risk for goalies is relatively low, he's certainly not overplayed and as an upcoming UFA, he could use a strong showing in an international tournament to get teams interested.

Maybe Greiss is upset that he was not invited last time, and does not want to play, at least not for Cortina?
Just speculation on my part of course.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Is Marcel Goc coming over from the Blues?

I know Jochen Hecht is older now but he is one of the greatest German NHL players ever. I would think he could still help the German team.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Is Marcel Goc coming over from the Blues?

I know Jochen Hecht is older now but he is one of the greatest German NHL players ever. I would think he could still help the German team.

Goc declined, supposedly because of his contract status (he's a UFA and can't afford an injury now). Hecht retired from the national team.

seeep

Mar 13, 2011
hello guys, please explain me why the next few players are not in then NT:

forwards:

M. Muller
Rankel
Schutz
D. Wolf
Flaake

def:

Holzer
Sulzer

and which of them are real loss for NT ?

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

forwards:

M. Muller - Injury
Rankel - Injury
Schutz - Injury?
D. Wolf - Sits in the press box for the Flames
Flaake - Injury

def:

Holzer - Sits in the press box for the Ducks
Sulzer - Injury

To me they are all real losses for the NT, but with that weak defense Holzer and Sulzer hurt us particularly bad.

Salzig

I am laudable.
Feb 28, 2007
Bonn, Germany

forwards:

M. Muller - injured (pubis)
Rankel - injured (shoulder)
Schutz - recovering from a knee injury
D. Wolf - currently in the playoffs (Calgary)
Flaake - injured (shoulder injury)

def:

Holzer - currently in the playoffs (Anaheim)
Sulzer - general soreness after an injury-plugged season

And I'd say all of them are real losses for the national team...

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
It's unfortunate that so many good German players are unavailable for the tournament. Holzer and Wolf aren't even playing for their respective NHL teams in the playoffs. It's sad, because Germany is a lot better than they are showing against Canada today.

Imagine this team with the following players.

Thomas Greiss

Christian Ehrhoff
Dennis Seidenberg
Alex Sulzer
Korbinian Holzer
Christoph Schubert

Marcel Goc
Jerome Flaake
Marcel Mueller
David Wolf
Felix Schutz
Philip Gogulla
Andre Rankel
Leon Draisaitl
Alexander Barta

The current roster is essentially their B team!

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Who is his son?? Based on his dad you would think his son would be in the NHL.

He was drafted by the Wild but never made the team.. When he played for my team Cologne, he started quite weak but became stronger and stronger, and his dad described his development like this, he always started out as one of the weakest and worked his way up.
Wouldn't say that he's a really good defenseman, but he has his Moments ;)

If you see him than there's no doubt he's King Kongs son ;) Björn Krupp is our 7th D I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad