WC: 2015 — Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
We had guys like Huhtala, Savinainen, Jormakka, J.Sallinen last year, Donskoi is much better player than those guys were. He could easily play a bottom 6 role with Kemppainen.

Assuming we get 3-4 nhl'ers

Korpikoski-Barkov-Armia
JJokinen-Kontiola-Aaltonen
Komarov-Immonen-Salminen
Pihlström-Kemppainen-Donskoi
Hartikainen/Osala

Sure but we have better 3-4 line players, Petrell was good in last EHT tourney, then there is Joensuu and the usual suspects like Pihlström, Hartikainen, Osala, and somebody like Hagman can easily play 3-4 line role, I even have Tuppurainen ahead of Donskoi, he is having a great season with JYP. Not to mention maybe some NHL guys, and i don't think Donskoi have what it takes to be a 1-2 Line player in WC. And i hope that K. Jalonen has the balls to try some of our young AHLers, not straigth to WC but in the tune-up games, somebody like Armia who's two-way game is great nowdays, he could be a 3-line player with PP time and maybe even PK time.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Since it's not exactly an EHT leg anymore, guess we can use this thread to examine the team Jalonen picked to play against Sweden during the next NT break:

Juuse Saros, HPK
Atte Engren, Atlant Mytischy

Topi Jaakola, Jokerit
Mikko Kousa, Lukko
Tuukka Mäntylä, Amur Khabarovsk
Janne Niskala, Lukko
Teemu Eronen, Neftehimik Nizhnekamsk
Anssi Salmela, Färjestads BK
Janne Jalasvaara, Dynamo Moscow
Kristian Näkyvä, Luleå HF

Jesse Joensuu, SC Bern
Veli-Matti Savinainen, Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod
Janne Pesonen, Skellefteå
Ossi Louhivaara, Lausanne
Joonas Kemppainen, Kärpät
Joonas Donskoi, Kärpät
Petri Kontiola, Traktor Chelyabinsk
Olli Palola, Tappara
Tomi Sallinen, Leksand
Teemu Ramstedt, HIFK
Juhamatti Aaltonen, Jokerit
Teemu Hartikainen, Salavat Yulaev Ufa

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Louhivaara? Ok then. *scratches head* Otherwise no surprises really.

Although I've been and still am quite critical of how few young players get a chance to play with the NT before breaking out in the NHL, I have to say that they've used a good number of young goaltenders over the last few years.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Louhivaara? Ok then. *scratches head* Otherwise no surprises really.
Must be because he plays in NLA. Have to check out all 'em boys abroad. If he was with JYP for example, they probably wouldn't bother with him.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
For what it's worth (in February), Koivu doesn't want to be counted out just yet: http://yle.fi/urheilu/perheenlisays..._valmis_mm-kisoihin_-_aina_kiinnostaa/7774907

Maybe my memory's failing me, but I don't think I've ever heard him talking about the WC in public this far in advance. Either he's usually dodged the question at this point or nobody's asked him. IMO it doesn't even make much sense to harass players with those questions this early.

Either way, I believe he means it when he says he's interested. It's been quite a while since he last played for the NT and he did tell HS's Jouni Nieminen in Edmonton last winter that the next time he got to play for Finland would be extra special for him because he missed out on Sochi.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
And Lehtinen is again giving comments concerning AHL players: http://yle.fi/urheilu/leijonapomo_laittaa_jaita_hattuun_ahl-pelaajien_suhteen/7784730

Some might say it's same old, since all he pretty much states is that no one coming from the league should have a surefire spot on the team. In my opinion however, it's already an important signal that they're even talking about them and acknowledging their existence. I can't recall Kurri ever saying a peep about our boys in the farm, and the coaches only gave some random jargon if pressed about the issue.

And that is pretty much the only thing I'm asking of 'em - be aware of them. And call 'em to be checked out if they become available early enough. One such player ought to be Armia, since neither Buffalo nor Rochester won't be making playoffs, barring a miracle.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It's way too early of course, but somehow I can't help thinking what it might be if every NHLer who doesn't appear to make the playoffs and is not on his contract year would be willing to come. It would give us a rather nice group of forwards to build upon, at the very least.

We'd have: Koivu, Barkov, Jokinen, Komarov, Korpikoski and Ruutu. Add maybe Armia and all of our usual Euro suspects and rather than having typical top-six and bottom-six, there could be four very even lines, all utilizing the grinder-playmaker-sniper dynamic somewhat.

Jokinen - Koivu - Ruutu
Korpikoski - Kontiola - Aaltonen
Komarov - Barkov - Armia
Salminen - Immonen - Osala

No lines 1-4 in the traditional sense, but more like lines 2A, 2B, 2C and 2D.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Getting Koivu, Granlund and Barkov would already give us a good frame to add pieces. Armia, Pulkkinen, Ma. Granlund, Teräväinen etc. would be also interesting options.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
It's way too early of course, but somehow I can't help thinking what it might be if every NHLer who doesn't appear to make the playoffs and is not on his contract year would be willing to come. It would give us a rather nice group of forwards to build upon, at the very least.

We'd have: Koivu, Barkov, Jokinen, Komarov, Korpikoski and Ruutu. Add maybe Armia and all of our usual Euro suspects and rather than having typical top-six and bottom-six, there could be four very even lines, all utilizing the grinder-playmaker-sniper dynamic somewhat.

Jokinen - Koivu - Ruutu
Komarov - Barkov - Armia

No lines 1-4 in the traditional sense, but more like lines 2A, 2B, 2C and 2D.

You have Koivu but no Granlund? Is that because you think he is not coming when The Wild fails to make the playoffs because his contract is up? By the way i almost got pissed off when you put Kontiola ahead of Barkov in your lines:laugh: Actually i'm not too sure about Tallon letting Barkov to play in the "Skoda Cup", but that just my opinion.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
You have Koivu but no Granlund? Is that because you think he is not coming when The Wild fails to make the playoffs because his contract is up? By the way i almost got pissed off when you put Kontiola ahead of Barkov in your lines
Like I said, I was using players not on their contract year. That excludes Granlund. But let it be said that if he's signed before that or decides to come regardless, I think we can squeeze him in somewhere.

Also, jebus, ragging on me about line order after I very specifically said that they're very even, as in they could be in any order? No typical top- and bottom-sixes? That 2A-2D thing? Read them from bottom up if that makes you feel better, you dolt. Of course, then you'd get to complain that Immonen is ahead of Barkov.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
Like I said, I was using players not on their contract year. That excludes Granlund. But let it be said that if he's signed before that or decides to come regardless, I think we can squeeze him in somewhere.

Also, jebus, ragging on me about line order after I very specifically said that they're very even, as in they could be in any order? No typical top- and bottom-sixes? That 2A-2D thing? Read them from bottom up if that makes you feel better, you dolt. Of course, then you'd get to complain that Immonen is ahead of Barkov.

Yes, i saw that, that is way is said ALMOST was pissed off

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I'm not so sure Barkov will be allowed to go, either. He would've been able to play last year but was told not to, and he was also told he couldn't play rullakiekko either. If his participation is blocked by the Panthers again without him having a significant injury, it will start to look like a pattern.

The situation could get quite interesting if Koivu and Barkov both show up. KJ may indeed have to consider having 4 offensive-minded lines as FiLe suggested, since neither Kontiola or Immonen will be left off the team. JJ and Ruutu seem to be the likeliest winger options, Granlund and Komarov are possible as well. Armia needs to be invited to camp, he needs a chance to battle it out with the Euro wingers.

The D is looking crowded: Timonen, Ristolainen, Lepistö, Hietanen, Kukkonen, Väänänen. 2 spots left, and Jaakola could be taking one of them. Not much space for other youngsters besides RR.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'm not so sure Barkov will be allowed to go, either. He would've been able to play last year but was told not to, and he was also told he couldn't play rullakiekko either. If his participation is blocked by the Panthers again without him having a significant injury, it will start to look like a pattern.
I don't think they can just tell Barkov to pass NT duty indefinitely, if the player is healthy and willing to go. I can see the argument being valid last year, him technically missing the entire season after the olympics and being only barely healthy for the WHCs.

They'll also have to be extra careful with young players, who may become very moody if the club just treats them like property. Sasha is unusually level-headed for someone his age, but I wonder if they'd still like to take that risk. It will look especially bad if Jokinen gets to go.

The situation could get quite interesting if Koivu and Barkov both show up. KJ may indeed have to consider having 4 offensive-minded lines as FiLe suggested, since neither Kontiola or Immonen will be left off the team. JJ and Ruutu seem to be the likeliest winger options, Granlund and Komarov are possible as well. Armia needs to be invited to camp, he needs a chance to battle it out with the Euro wingers.
This was exactly my reasoning behind setting up those lines. You'd have four centers who all possess too much prestige to just be cut, but are too good to pull regular bottom-six grunt duty - even if they'd all be quite suited for it, save for perhaps Kontiola. And if the crop of wingers who are projected to be available are not starting to drop either, it'd also be trivially easy to find a snipe partner with established chemistry for all.

The D is looking crowded: Timonen, Ristolainen, Lepistö, Hietanen, Kukkonen, Väänänen. 2 spots left, and Jaakola could be taking one of them. Not much space for other youngsters besides RR.
Given how they usually have to fill half the defense with subpar or at-the-time unknown selections, I can't see having a crowded D as a bad thing in any manner. Well, unless you really want to lament the lack of youngsters, but who really even are there besides RR? Lindell, maybe. Näkyvä might warrant some consideration too. And Jokipakka. But at the moment, I don't really see any of 'em being notably better than the regular names seemingly available.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Gotta say, I really dug Näkyvä in tonight's game. Not too many spots open in D if all the usual suspects make it, but I wouldn't mind him grabbing one. Not sure how much use the management is going to see for him if we're really going to get Timonen though. With Lepistö making it as usual, not plenty more need for left-hooked OD in that situation. But eh, I suppose he could make it regardless.

Lepistö, Hietanen, Timonen, Ristolainen, Kukkonen, Väänänen, Jaakola and Näkyvä. I could get get behind that.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
Gotta say, I really dug Näkyvä in tonight's game. Not too many spots open in D if all the usual suspects make it, but I wouldn't mind him grabbing one. Not sure how much use the management is going to see for him if we're really going to get Timonen though. With Lepistö making it as usual, not plenty more need for left-hooked OD in that situation. But eh, I suppose he could make it regardless.

Lepistö, Hietanen, Timonen, Ristolainen, Kukkonen, Väänänen, Jaakola and Näkyvä. I could get get behind that.

That's not bad, then if we can get one of our NHL goalies to come, we are in good shape. I don't trust Koskinen or Engren very much, i can't explain why.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
That's not bad, then if we can get one of our NHL goalies to come, we are in good shape. I don't trust Koskinen or Engren very much, i can't explain why.
I wouldn't feel safe with Engren either, too inconsistent. Can play okay when he's, eh, playing okay, but seems to have an off night a little too often, at least as far as his NT showings are concerned.

Koskinen... well, let's just say that he is our top euro netminder at the moment. So if we can't get anyone from overseas, the net should be his. Still, I'd rather have him as a backup. Something with his nerves, doesn't seem to do too well when he actually has to show for something. Which means he could still perform if there is no imminent risk of losing the job, though.

Right now Lehtonen seems like the only guy who appears to be available from the get-go. Well, Bäckström too, but I don't really want to take a shot with him. However, there could be some names that might get bumped off the first round. Rämö, Raanta... even Rask.

Right now, an optimist's lineup could look something like this:

Lehtonen (Koskinen)

Lepistö - Hietanen
Timonen - Ristolainen
Väänänen - Näkyvä
Kukkonen - Jaakola

Jokinen - Koivu - Ruutu
Komarov - Barkov - Armia

That'd be the best we've iced for these spring events in years. Not likely it'll be exactly that, though.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Timonen is injured and pillu needs some love.
1) He's recovered, is skating already, and has openly shown interest in playing in these games, since it doesn't look like Philly will make it.

2) Just point me in her direction.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Lindell will make it over Näkyvä or Jaakola..
He'd make it over Näkyvä, in that case. Since if all four of Lepistö, Timonen, Näkyvä and Lindell are there, that's too many guys cut of the same mold.

I like Lindell too, and he'd absolutely be a decent pick. In the end, one of those final open slots may just end up being a race between him and Näkyvä. Kivistö may also have an off chance to feature. Other players of the same type are Salmela, Koistinen, Eronen and Mäenpää, but it'd likely take an injury or two for them to get back to contention.

In the end, it may boil down to who's got the better spring season. Näkyvä upped his stock here IMO, but Lindell will no doubt have a fair chance to play catchup.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Armia - Koivu - J.Jokinen
Salminen - Enlund - Aaltonen
Komarov - Barkov - Bergenheim
Korpikoski - Immonen - Ruutu

Lepistö - Hietanen
Lindell - Ristolainen
Näkyvä - Jaakola
Kukkonen - Väänänen

Lehtonen
Koskinen
Saros

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Armia - Koivu - J.Jokinen
Salminen - Enlund - Aaltonen
Komarov - Barkov - Bergenheim
Korpikoski - Immonen - Ruutu
Can't even recall when Enlund's last played down the middle. And despite all his showings in the KHL, he's been a pretty peripheral player in the NT. So one can be 100% positive he won't sit in the slot here. Especially when there is a far more suitable option called Kontiola available, who slips into that slot like... something into something else. And if he doesn't, even Enlund's teammate Koskiranta is likely to take preference.

Other than that little non-sequitur, it's a nice lineup. Very nice, indeed.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Armia just got traded to Winnipeg. Guess that makes his chances to feature in these games a bit more questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad