WJC: 2015 — Finland Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
I don't think it's likely that Rantanen will be cut.

But that being said I'm surprised if 13 forwards includes 8 underaged players (Kapanen, Hintz, Rantanen, Aho, Kalapudas, Puljujärvi, Lammikko, Saarela). I wouldn't be all that surprised to see for an example Aho, Saarela or Puljujärvi being cut. These 15 forwards provided no surprises but I think surprise will come from the final selections.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
I don't see Puljujärvi being cut, and neither should he be. If he can succeed in Mestis against older opponents, what exactly would be the reason to cut him given his scoring ability? He lead the Jönköping tournament in points.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
But that being said I'm surprised if 13 forwards includes 8 underaged players (Kapanen, Hintz, Rantanen, Aho, Kalapudas, Puljujärvi, Lammikko, Saarela).
Not this misconception again...

FYI, a '96 born is not "underage". The term refers to someone still eligible for the level below, ie. the U18 competition.

Saarela, Aho and Puljujärvi are the only underage players in the camp roster. The rest are perfectly within the age range countries usually pick their crop for these tournaments.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Not a chance Puljujärvi getting cut. It seems we are using 3 lines that will all have good scoring potential. They tried that out the other year too (balancing offense), but after Miro Aaltonen got injured it didn't quite pan out as planned. It's going to be really interesting to see the line ups on the exchibition games as there are many variables you can move.
Only thing to tell for sure 1st line will be Lehkonen - x - Kapanen. Lacking that true first center is really a consern however.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Only thing to tell for sure 1st line will be Lehkonen - x - Kapanen. Lacking that true first center is really a consern however.

Agreed. I can see the remaining lines be built around existing connections between players. For example, the Ilves line (Hintz-Mustonen-x), the Kärpät line (Aho-x-Puljujärvi) and the TPS line (x-Vähätalo-Rantanen). I'd really like to see Lammikko in the TPS line and then have them play the opposition's top players, while the rest can focus on other things.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I think splitting up Hintz-Mustonen on 5vs5 is the best option:

Hintz at center:

Lehkonen-Mustonen-Kapanen
Rantanen-Hintz-Ikonen
Lammikko-Kalapudas-Puljujärvi
Vähätalo-Björninen-Ojamäki
Rauhala

Hintz at LW:

Ikonen-Vähätalo-Rantanen
Hintz-Kalapudas-Puljujärvi
Lammikko-Björninen-Ojamäki
Rauhala

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden

Hintz at center:

Rantanen-Hintz-Ikonen
Rauhala

Hintz at LW:

Ikonen-Vähätalo-Rantanen
Rauhala

I realy like the second set up !

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

Hintz at center:

Rantanen-Hintz-Ikonen
Rauhala

Hintz at LW:

Ikonen-Vähätalo-Rantanen
Rauhala

except that Hintz will be playing with Mustonen

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
except that Hintz will be playing with Mustonen

We do not know that for certain. It makes sense to keep then together because of chemistry, but JJTT's lineup (the one that has Hintz as a winger) is not a bad idea either, because it allows size/talent to be spread more evenly throughout the lineup.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
We do not know that for certain. It makes sense to keep then together because of chemistry, but JJTT's lineup (the one that has Hintz as a winger) is not a bad idea either, because it allows size/talent to be spread more evenly throughout the lineup.
If Hintz is to play wing, it makes little sense to break up the chemistry between him and Mustonen. If the other top line needs size, there's Rantanen for that.

However, more I think about it, more I figure Hintz at center is not so bad an idea. After all, out that group he is pretty much the second-most skilled forward who can play comfortably down the middle. It has two advantages - firstly, our best centerman Mustonen can be then placed to benefit the Lehkonen-Kapanen twosome, and secondly, it helps us prep for the future. Mustonen will be overage next year but Hintz will still be there, and looking at our centre crops going forward, it's highly likely Hintz will find himself from the slot by then.

So... a careful thumbs up to JJTT's first lineup. It's not at all a bad way to arrange the top-six.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
This:

Lehkonen - Mustonen - Rantanen
Ikonen - Hintz - Kapanen
Lammikko - Kalapudas - Puljujärvi
Vähätalo - Rauhala - Ojamäki
+ Saarela

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Any guesses on who the top point getter will be? I assume Lehkonen or Kapanen?

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Any guesses on who the top point getter will be? I assume Lehkonen or Kapanen?

Kapanen with his speed and shot should do some damage but both will be getting 1st line on even strength and power play time. Hard to say but i think Lehkonen will have more assists and Kapanen more goals.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
Sounds more like he does whatever he is ordered to do, but that he would prefer to play those HIFK games since they matter in terms of points unlike the camp.

"Clickbait" is the English term.

I don't fault him for wanting to play instead of practise, the part of he's going to camp against his will just sounds bad, but like i wondered, it's just probably a clickbait. Although klikkihuoraus sounds better;)

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Sounds more like he does whatever he is ordered to do, but that he would prefer to play those HIFK games since they matter in terms of points unlike the camp.
He states it pretty clear in the text proper that it's personally the same to him. The Liiga games would simply matter more than practice at camp.

So... yeah. "Against his will" my backside. Clickbait, and not really even subtle.

On the other hand, nice to see Jortikka acting like a proper authority. It's not the first time availability of players is in question, and occasionally things have gone the other way as well. For example in fall 2012 when Raipe was the coach, Granlund didn't get to play a single game under him before the actual tournament, and Jokerit hung onto Pulkkinen well into the camp. Didn't really dig that, especially since we had a rookie coach at the helm who sure would have benefited from every minute familiarizing himself with his two most important forwards.

Last edited:

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I posted this roster in January:

Lehkonen C- Saarela - Kapanen
Rantanen - Mustonen A- Hintz
Aho - Kinnunen - Ikonen
Tanus - Rauhala - Lammikko
Antonen

Lintuniemi - Honka A
Lyytinen - Mäkinen