WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytibo

Aug 25, 2011
quater final

Do you know how does it work for the quater final. Is there any chance to see Canada play the quater final in Mtl or not.

Thanks guy

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
If he keeps up that play, there will be some crow eating required. If he plays at the level of the first two games (even though the second one was much better than the first game), then he clearly shouldn't be on the roster.

I hope he can keep up the good play as the team goes through the tougher games.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
If he keeps up that play, there will be some crow eating required. If he plays at the level of the first two games (even though the second one was much better than the first game), then he clearly shouldn't be on the roster.

I hope he can keep up the good play as the team goes through the tougher games.

Not sure if crow will be on the menu, since most of the criticism was about Gauthier holding Virtanen back. With Virtanen moving on to play with more skilled players, and Gauthier playing with a rightfully so demoted Ritchie in a more defensive/checking 4th line, the team as a whole seems to have finally become balanced, moreso.

Good on Gauthier and Ritchie if they provide solid checking line performances, and good on Virtanen if he and his linemates produce offencively.

All's well that ends well, with the right player in the right place on TC.

Onwards and upwards collectively(players and supporters alike)

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
A little unsure about the decision to start Comrie.

Here is my thing -- if Comrie is just ok, or worse then its obvious, run with Fucale. BUT if Comrie is really good, what do you do?

People here are saying, its Comrie's net to run with if he plays well, but the issue there is -- if that was really Groulx's plan, why would he have started Fucale in 4 of the 6 games we have played?

My theory is that the plan was to have the goalie's split the round robin, than pick one for the medal round. Fair enough, but if I was the coach in that case I would have led with Comrie.

Anyways, this reminds me of 2012 when it came down to the incumbent Visentin vs the new guy Wedgwood. Wedgwood got the US game, then played in the semis, and was terrible in the semis. A lot of it IMO stemmed from the fact that in the leadup to the US game, Visentin was given more starts, but then Wedgwood got the key games.

Like it or not, when you have an incumbent and a rookie on the team, you have to handle the situation differently than if its two new guys

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
A little unsure about the decision to start Comrie.

Here is my thing -- if Comrie is just ok, or worse then its obvious, run with Fucale. BUT if Comrie is really good, what do you do?

People here are saying, its Comrie's net to run with if he plays well, but the issue there is -- if that was really Groulx's plan, why would he have started Fucale in 4 of the 6 games we have played?

My theory is that the plan was to have the goalie's split the round robin, than pick one for the medal round. Fair enough, but if I was the coach in that case I would have led with Comrie.

Anyways, this reminds me of 2012 when it came down to the incumbent Visentin vs the new guy Wedgwood. Wedgwood got the US game, then played in the semis, and was terrible in the semis. A lot of it IMO stemmed from the fact that in the leadup to the US game, Visentin was given more starts, but then Wedgwood got the key games.

Like it or not, when you have an incumbent and a rookie on the team, you have to handle the situation differently than if its two new guys

Run with Comrie if he's a difference maker or dominates against the vaunted US squad, or return to Fucale if CAN loses, or wins by the skin of its teeth.

The only other point from me is, i'd go with Comrie, still, if he was lights out and CAN wins 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 or something really close, and it was because of him standing on his head, despite no fault goals, that CAN won.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Win tomorrow: Russia in the semi-finals
Lose tomorrow: Sweden or Finland in the semi-finals

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Run with Comrie if he's a difference maker or dominates against the vaunted US squad, or return to Fucale if CAN loses, or wins by the skin of its teeth.

The only other point from me is, i'd go with Comrie, still, if he was lights out and CAN wins 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 or something really close, and it was because of him standing on his head, despite no fault goals, that CAN won.

Issue is that then your making something a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

Fucale was real good yesterday. Good enough to erase pretty much all doubts that stemmed from the Russia game. Why not just run with him? Why add more variables just on the off chance Comrie might be a little bit better?

its a risk. It could pay off, but for me its a risk

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Issue is that then your making something a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

Fucale was real good yesterday. Good enough to erase pretty much all doubts that stemmed from the Russia game. Why not just run with him? Why add more variables just on the off chance Comrie might be a little bit better?

And Fucale isn't a risk? Perhaps you've forgot who let in 5 goals on 23 shots against Finland in the semi-finals last year.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
And Fucale isn't a risk? Perhaps you've forgot who let in 5 goals on 23 shots against Finland in the semi-finals last year.

In the same breath, he had a shutout the year prior in the U18 finals while Comrie was his backup. But that doesn't matter because it's a new year and should run with whoever plays better. You probably shouldn't look at a single game from a year ago to determine the risk.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011

I reckon if Comrie plays better against the harder of the competition than Fucale does against weaker competition...then you go with the goalie that played better against better competition.

Simple enough now? ;)

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Not much of a big deal. After the game against the US, just need to do a re-evaluation. Just go with the goalie they feel more comfortable with. Win or lose tomorrow for Comrie, I would personally go with Fucale down the stretch but you can't go wrong with either.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007

No, it's because the goal he did let in was a bad one.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So Virtanen gets a promotion after what some of these experts on here called "stupid or idiotic".

Thankfully there are many people in the hockey world that still know what they're talking about.

Well deserved promo.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
My opinion so far

Standouts:
Sam R
Domi
Duclair
Fabri
Bowie
Morissey

Above average:
Mcdavid
Lazar
Nurse
Theodore
Fucale

Average:
Everyone else

Below average:
#20(hall?)

Standout poor:
Honestly cant say anyone fits here

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
My opinion so far

Standouts:
Sam R
Domi
Duclair
Fabri
Bowie
Morissey

Above average:
Mcdavid
Lazar
Nurse
Theodore
Fucale

Average:
Everyone else

Below average:
#20(hall?)

Standout poor:

IMO

Nurse has been better than Bowey easily in my books. I'd put Bowey into the above average category.

#20 Paul has been decent.

I'd throw Hicketts in the below average catergory he's been losing quite a few puck battles, while as the other defenceman have just been overpowering other players taking the puck off them.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
My opinion so far

Standouts:
Sam R
Domi
Duclair
Fabri
Bowie
Morissey

Above average:
Mcdavid
Lazar
Nurse
Theodore
Fucale

Average:
Everyone else

Below average:
#20(hall?)

Standout poor:

I'd switch Bowie and Nurse, and Fabbri and Petan; Lazar belongs in the average group in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad