WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
On 2nd thought, I might just have Ritchie on the team but on a 4th line role. He has talent and grit, you just gotta make sure he's careful. It depends on alot of things like how good will Point be in the tournament, he's skilled but he's also small and a late bloomer who most didn't expect to make the team. If he struggles well then Dal Colle and Ritchie on the 3rd line is also pretty good. But right now, I think you have to keep Point on the 3RW, Dal Colle on the 3LW, Petan at C. Then you got 4 centres to choose from for the 4th line role in Dickinson, Gauthier, Chartier and Paul. Personally, I think it goes to Dickinson, he can hit, has size, is reliable defensively just like Gauthier and he can shoot the puck. He's a leader on Guelph. Crouse and Ritchie take the winger spots IMO, Ritchie takes the LW spot and Crouse takes the RW spot. It won't be a slow line because Dickinson and Crouse can skate well, Ritchie is a bit slow though. Crouse is a mature player for being 17, he plays a simple yet effective game, gotta give HC credit for bringing him over Marner or Strome who I think would struggle in a tournament like this because Marner isn't exactly physically fit for this tournament and Strome doesn't have the speed to keep up. Crouse brings the best of both worlds, he has good speed, a hard shot, he hits, I love his game. Just seems like he'll be trusted out there, a kid who gets the job in and might just pot in a goal or two.

The last forward spot.... Paul, Chartier or Gauthier. Paul brings scoring, size and a solid game overall. Chartier is a smart player, he gets open, plays a pretty good game that should translate well but I think on the 4th line if an injury hits you will need someone like Gauthier or Paul more. I don't know about Gauthier, he wasn't very impressive last year, I know he's improved and brings parts of the game that could be crucial but offensively, I just don't know.

That's my guess at the bottom 6, Gauthier, Chartier or Paul for the last spot.

Oh yeah, don't play McDavid against the Russians. Dirty ******** will probably try to slash McDavid's hand.

Steamwhistle

Nov 10, 2014
Toronto
Definitely feel like Dickinson belongs on this team. Solid player in all three ends of the ice and still has some good speed to him. Really mature player as well, not to mention the fact that he can play both centre and left wing. Perfect guy for the 4th line, in my opinion.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
:facepalm:

He is bigger than McDavid, Reinhart, Petan and any other centre of relevance on the team besides Gauthier
And 2/3 of those guys are better than him, not to mention all of them are better suited for wjc hockey. Not having Horvat is not a big deal, he was pretty invisible last year and I don't think the juniors is he kind of game. I'd much rather have a guy like Virtanen out there.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
And 2/3 of those guys are better than him. Not having Horvat is not a big deal, he was pretty invisible last year and isn't that fast.

The entire team was pretty invisible but he was excellent on faceoffs and defensively.

Your right he was slow but his skating has improved quite a bit, its basically what the canucks trainers have been working with him on since he arrived. Recorded a very good time in the skills competition yesterday, was actually one of the better skaters behind hansen who finished first. That is what a year of development does for a young player and why it confuses me your commenting on horvat last year without taking into consideration any maturity that occurs over a year.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
On 2nd thought, I might just have Ritchie on the team but on a 4th line role. He has talent and grit, you just gotta make sure he's careful. It depends on alot of things like how good will Point be in the tournament, he's skilled but he's also small and a late bloomer who most didn't expect to make the team. If he struggles well then Dal Colle and Ritchie on the 3rd line is also pretty good. But right now, I think you have to keep Point on the 3RW, Dal Colle on the 3LW, Petan at C. Then you got 4 centres to choose from for the 4th line role in Dickinson, Gauthier, Chartier and Paul. Personally, I think it goes to Dickinson, he can hit, has size, is reliable defensively just like Gauthier and he can shoot the puck. He's a leader on Guelph. Crouse and Ritchie take the winger spots IMO, Ritchie takes the LW spot and Crouse takes the RW spot. It won't be a slow line because Dickinson and Crouse can skate well, Ritchie is a bit slow though. Crouse is a mature player for being 17, he plays a simple yet effective game, gotta give HC credit for bringing him over Marner or Strome who I think would struggle in a tournament like this because Marner isn't exactly physically fit for this tournament and Strome doesn't have the speed to keep up. Crouse brings the best of both worlds, he has good speed, a hard shot, he hits, I love his game. Just seems like he'll be trusted out there, a kid who gets the job in and might just pot in a goal or two.

The last forward spot.... Paul, Chartier or Gauthier. Paul brings scoring, size and a solid game overall. Chartier is a smart player, he gets open, plays a pretty good game that should translate well but I think on the 4th line if an injury hits you will need someone like Gauthier or Paul more. I don't know about Gauthier, he wasn't very impressive last year, I know he's improved and brings parts of the game that could be crucial but offensively, I just don't know.

That's my guess at the bottom 6, Gauthier, Chartier or Paul for the last spot.

Oh yeah, don't play McDavid against the Russians. Dirty ******** will probably try to slash McDavid's hand.
What makes you think that?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The 06' team has nothing on the 04', or were you too young for it, look it up.

1. You completely missed the point of my post - people complaining about the lack of talent on this team, as in the post that I initially quoted, quickly forget about other Canadian rosters that have won. The example I used is the 2006 team, which was pretty weak in terms of talent but absolutely dominated.

2. Your smug suggestion that I look up the 2004 team is pretty laughable since you obviously mean the 2005 team. Make sure you get the year right next time.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Lazar just scored his first NHL goal, FWIW.

On pace for 3 goals and what 15 points. I'm sure we'll get another press release thursday similar to Vancouver's and then when both teams are eliminated early in the playoffs come april, ''Well, shouldn't we have sent him.''

I doubt heavily but I hope Lazar is loaned, Horvat is decent, but Lazar would make much more of an impact.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
On pace for 3 goals and what 15 points. I'm sure we'll get another press release thursday similar to Vancouver's and then when both teams are eliminated early in the playoffs come april, ''Well, shouldn't we have sent him.''

I doubt heavily but I hope Lazar is loaned, Horvat is decent, but Lazar would make much more of an impact.

Please don't start this again, both are great players who would be immense additions to the team.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

???? wtf is this guy talking about??? what does canucks or senators making the playoffs or not or getting eliminated early have anything to do with loaning our players?

For Vancouver the decision was based on whats best for Vancouver right now. It's not a big deal why do you guys have to bring Horvat into this?

I assume he meant on height cause McDavid and Reinhart are taller but yeah they aren't nearly as bulky or necessarily as strong as Horvat.

It's unbelievable how bad the Canucks are so hated here, that some people will go all out to say something negative about even a player who will not be on the team.

Horvat 6'0 205
Reinhart 6'1 185
McDavid 6'1 190...
Petan 5'9 ??????

Yea... Horvat is so small........

Last edited:

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I think that NHL teams unless you're dominating, or have done it in the past (MacKinnon, Ekblad, etc) should lend the junior players to the teams. Now I understand you don't want a guy to get hurt playing for a team other than your own, but how awesome would it be to look back in 20 years and say you won a gold medal at the WJHC (assuming the players win) 5-10 NHL games in the grand scheme of things isn't much. I don't fault the teams for not lending the players, but if it was me, I'd tell them to play.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
???? wtf is this guy talking about??? what does canucks or senators making the playoffs or not or getting eliminated early have anything to do with loaning our players?

For Vancouver the decision was based on whats best for Vancouver right now. It's not a big deal why do you guys have to bring Horvat into this?

It's unbelievable how bad the Canucks are so hated here, that some people will go all out to say something negative about even a player who will not be on the team.

Horvat 6'0 205
Reinhart 6'1 185
McDavid 6'1 190...
Petan 5'9 ??????

Yea... Horvat is so small........

I'm pretty sure Horvat was 220lbs when he came to training camp, probably areound 215 now

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
I think that NHL teams unless you're dominating, or have done it in the past (MacKinnon, Ekblad, etc) should lend the junior players to the teams. Now I understand you don't want a guy to get hurt playing for a team other than your own, but how awesome would it be to look back in 20 years and say you won a gold medal at the WJHC (assuming the players win) 5-10 NHL games in the grand scheme of things isn't much. I don't fault the teams for not lending the players, but if it was me, I'd tell them to play.

Horvat actually said he would rather play in the NHL than go to WJC, I'm sure there are at least a few other rookies out there who share his thoughts on the issue

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

You again talking trash, didnt you also mistakenly claim horvat was our 2nd line center and blame him for the game winning goal when it was on burrows getting outskated by plekanec, and burrows did take full responsibility post game (while cheering for a team that has had DD as a top 2c for most of the season no less). Shouldnt be throwing stones at us and the sens.

You also claimed horvat and lazar were interchangeable, now one will make a bigger impact.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Horvat actually said he would rather play in the NHL than go to WJC, I'm sure there are at least a few other rookies out there who share his thoughts on the issue

Obviously as a 19 year old kid, he'd rather play in the NHL. However, looking back in 20 years he may regret the decision. Think of the things you passed up on when you were young, that you regret now. I just know that I wouldn't be able to turn down the opportunity to potentially help my country win a gold medal.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
If you've actually made the NHL, the WJC is irrelevant.

Are you sure you wouldn't want to go back to high school and totally kick ass?

Yeah, I'm sure.

C'mon, 10 games or less of NHL experience won't define your time as a hockey player. If a guy flames out, and it happens commonly, then what do they have to show for it? Don't you think you'd remember a gold medal a hell of a lot more then you would 10 games in the NHL?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
C'mon, 10 games or less of NHL experience won't define your time as a hockey player. If a guy flames out, and it happens commonly, then what do they have to show for it? Don't you think you'd remember a gold medal a hell of a lot more then you would 10 games in the NHL?

You are overrating the value of world junior gold. This isnt the olympics. These guys are getting paid over $10,000 PER game in the NHL. They dont care about the world juniors. 20 years from now no one will talk about your world junior championship win. No one brags about world junior wins. Do you think the big time stars in the NHL right now brag about their world junior golds? Its nice, its a nice accomplishment, BUT THE GOAL is to be in the NHL. If you win the memorial cup that wont mean anything if you dont win the Stanley Cup.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You are overrating the value of world junior gold. This isnt the olympics. These guys are getting paid over $10,000 PER game in the NHL. They dont care about the world juniors. 20 years from now no one will talk about your world junior championship win. No one brags about world junior wins. Do you think the big time stars in the NHL right now brag about their world junior golds? Its nice, its a nice accomplishment, BUT THE GOAL is to be in the NHL. If you win the memorial cup that wont mean anything if you dont win the Stanley Cup.

This. For kids in jr still it is absolutely preferable to playing with your CHL team. But for kids getting their first taste of their lifelong dream, you think they are crying about playing in a tourny that most of them have already played in? Ya a gold medal would be nice but there are chances to do the same at the World Championships every year for the next 20 years for most of these kids, not to mention chances in Olympics for the really elite ones (depending on NHL participation going forward I suppose).

Not to mention the fear that if you leave your NHL club for a few weeks maybe someone else steps up and steals your spot. Or you get injured and lose your spot. Don't forget, these kids haven't "made it" yet, they are still carving out their place in the bigs. Not hard to understand why they would openly admit they prefer to stay up than go to the tourny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad