GDT: 2014 World Junior Championships

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Russia is up 2-0 after 1 period.

Looks like another 4th place finish for Canada.

Germany beat Norway 3-1 to avoid relegation.

Pettersson has been suspended for 1 game and will not play in the Gold Medal game.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I haven't watched much of the tournament, but I've hardly seen McDavid at all, in some flashes he's looked really good though.

I think some times Canada puts too much restraint on their young phenoms. I remember the same thing happening when Crosby played the WJCs as a 16/17-year old, you just wanted to see more of them.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
What a pathetic performance by both teams. Here's hoping Team Canada invites players that actually work hard next season.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Canada just looked to me like they had no idea what to do as soon as things didn't go their way. They had zero jump in the third period against Finland and in the bronze medal game from what I saw.

Doesn't help when you bring a bunch of useless grinders, who don't even get any ice time, because you want to build a more "complete" team.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
McDavid played the amount he should of, he was not very dangerous overall in this tournament.

Yeah they could of brought a few different players, but I'm not so sure that would of made a difference. I don't know what the problem was, these tournaments are tricky because they're so short. Hockey Canada definitely needs to really look at and examine our game and the selection process.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
McDavid played the amount he should of, he was not very dangerous overall in this tournament.

Yeah they could of brought a few different players, but I'm not so sure that would of made a difference. I don't know what the problem was, these tournaments are tricky because they're so short. Hockey Canada definitely needs to really look at and examine our game and the selection process.

I think the bottom 6 scored a grand total of 1 goal, I would think Canada could do better then that.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site

The Swedes looked to us as a way to improve their program several years ago, and they borrowed some ideas and added some of their own. It's time for Hockey Canada to put aside their ego and look at whatever Sweden has been doing systematically through their junior leagues as the talent they have produced in the last 5 years has been staggering.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Do I ever wish we took Terravianen when we had the chance. In my mind as of right now
Terravainen> Jankowski+Seiloff
He is a gifted player, he may be a little smaller but very good.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Do I ever wish we took Terravianen when we had the chance. In my mind as of right now

If we didn't trade the pick I would have taken Ceci, but everything is hindsight.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
The Swedes looked to us as a way to improve their program several years ago, and they borrowed some ideas and added some of their own. It's time for Hockey Canada to put aside their ego and look at whatever Sweden has been doing systematically through their junior leagues as the talent they have produced in the last 5 years has been staggering.

Ya, Hockey Canada needs to make some changes. Barring Euro goalies from the CHL was pure desperation, and will not make a lick of difference.

The Swedes have been getting results lately, but I like the US program the best. Look how many 1st and 2nd round picks have come out of the USNDP. But you really couldn't do that in Canada because of the CHL.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I had to laugh when HC didn't take Poirer because of he wasn't disciplined enough, and yet Dumba and Pouliot took a ton of penalties. Add to that, Drouin took two 2+10's.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Was thinking that today too.
This kid's looked incredible at this tournament.

It's ****ed, even more so, when the two people Calgary directly passed on (keeping in mind, our 'select the BPA' was being used then) was TT and Maatta. One guy has played an incredible WJC tournament this year, and is looking right at home playing with men in Finland, and the other passed on the WJC tournament because he is playing incredibly important minutes for the Pens.

Top 4 D-man at 19 already holding down an NHL job. High skilled, tournament leading Finn who is looking to be a very strong top 6 player in the league within the next couple years... and we have, instead, a guy who can't hold down a top line in the NCAA.

Think it's definitely more ****ed with Maatta, because not only could we have drafted him, but we could have also drafted Sieloff. :help:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Was thinking that today too.
This kid's looked incredible at this tournament.

It's ****ed, even more so, when the two people Calgary directly passed on (keeping in mind, our 'select the BPA' was being used then) was TT and Maatta. One guy has played an incredible WJC tournament this year, and is looking right at home playing with men in Finland, and the other passed on the WJC tournament because he is playing incredibly important minutes for the Pens.

Top 4 D-man at 19 already holding down an NHL job. High skilled, tournament leading Finn who is looking to be a very strong top 6 player in the league within the next couple years... and we have, instead, a guy who can't hold down a top line in the NCAA.

Think it's definitely more ****ed with Maatta, because not only could we have drafted him, but we could have also drafted Sieloff. :help:

At the same time, though, this is not unexpected with Jankowski. If he develops the way that our management believed he will, then nobody will care what he was doing at age 19. He was labelled as a late bloomer right from the start. Why bother comparing him now? If he busts, we won't know for a couple of years, which of course is half of the frustration with fans.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
At the same time, though, this is not unexpected with Jankowski. If he develops the way that our management believed he will, then nobody will care what he was doing at age 19. He was labelled as a late bloomer right from the start. Why bother comparing him now? If he busts, we won't know for a couple of years, which of course is half of the frustration with fans.
I think a lot of the frustration stems from the fact that our fan base expects production from him. He is a large player who is supposed, according to our organization, to be tremendously skilled. So why aren't we seeing more production from him. While I know he is a project, the pressure and expectations were placed on him by our GM when he called him the best player to come out of the draft in 10 years. I think people being mad at that pick, is very warranted as of right now.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Be patient. Only 8 1/2 more years until he is looked upon as the best player from the 2012 draft.

But seriously, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Most of the time, prospects don't work out as planned. That's just the way it goes. Just go back to the "will Sven win the Calder?" thread from 4 months ago. Or the one we had 16 months ago.

I'm still mad about the Flames not signing Martin Jones. To think that the best undrafted free agent of 2010 was winning a championship in the Saddledome. Right under all of the Flames scouts/managements noses.:shakehead

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Go Finland!!

And does anyone else say "Dansk" in their head like Jay Onrait during their dance skits?

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary

I think part of the problem is taking a high risk high reward player when Maata was the safe pick. Calgary was in no position to really take a risk the way they did.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not sure why everyone insists on complaining forever about the Jankowski pick. It's picked, he's ours get over it.

Also I noticed Janko deleted his twitter, I have this horrible feeling that our fan base has harassed him because of their obsession over what ifs and caused him to deleted it.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
I'm not sure why everyone insists on complaining forever about the Jankowski pick. It's picked, he's ours get over it.

Also I noticed Janko deleted his twitter, I have this horrible feeling that our fan base has harassed him because of their obsession over what ifs and caused him to deleted it.

That would be a shame. People can be stupid with their use of tags on Facebook and Twitter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad