GDT: 2014 Winter Olympics, Part II - WARNING: Spoilers within

Status
Not open for further replies.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Wide World of Sports was so good during its golden years. It had everything from championship boxing to all sorts of winter sports to the Harlem Globetrotters to some F1. It exposed people to a wide array of sports before all the cable sports channels were available. It kind of went downhill once all the cable channels started acquiring rights to various sports.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
People said the US suits gave the swim team an advantage in Beijing.

They were probably right. They are probably right now. These things get decided by tiny tiny margins. I can see the suits being the difference in certain events, good or bad.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
That guys dad have Voldemort under his hat? That's the second time the top of his moved unnaturally w- the camera on him.

So, we won a silver in the skeleton.

God I miss hockey at prime time hours.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
That's not what any of the athletes have said. Is it so bad for athletes to prefer one suit over another? And is it not possible that the vent thing that's supposed to let hot air out is actually creating a drag and slowing them down? Again, nobody is saying that's why they lost. But about half of them prefer the old ones. That's not embarrassing.

NBC nightly news didn't angle the story as it being an issue of "preference". They're saying the suit is causing drag, therefore slowing the skaters down. If that's true, then someone didn't do their homework on the equipment. Being the most technologically advanced country in the world, I'm sorry, yes that's a little embarrassing. What if this was a parachuting contest? Yeah, wups.

If it's indeed not the suit, it's sounds like excuse making. Also embarrassing.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
That guys dad have Voldemort under his hat? That's the second time the top of his moved unnaturally w- the camera on him.

So, we won a silver in the skeleton.

God I miss hockey at prime time hours

It's almost been a full week since the Bruins last played...I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms.:laugh:

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
NBC nightly news didn't angle the story as it being an issue of "preference". They're saying the suit is causing drag, therefore slowing the skaters down. If that's true, then someone didn't do their homework on the equipment. Being the most technologically advanced country in the world, I'm sorry, yes that's a little embarrassing. What if this was a parachuting contest? Yeah, wups.

If it's indeed not the suit, it's sounds like excuse making. Also embarrassing.

But half the athletes prefer it. So it can't be that bad technologically. And nobody's turning in into an excuse is my point. None of the athletes have said anything publicly and by all indications they didn't even say privately that that's why they lost, just that they thought there was a chance the vent was slowing them down and they preferred the old suits. Of course the media makes it a big deal. Nothing's worse than analyzing what people say as if that defines them as an athlete.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Wide World of Sports was so good during its golden years. It had everything from championship boxing to all sorts of winter sports to the Harlem Globetrotters to some F1. It exposed people to a wide array of sports before all the cable sports channels were available. It kind of went downhill once all the cable channels started acquiring rights to various sports.

Yup, everything from Muhammad Ali and Howard Cossell, to Farah Faucet running an obstacle course in a t-shirt. Apparently in chilly weather.

Don't forget Evel Knievel almost never completing a stunt w/o breaking every bone in his body. :laugh:

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
If anyone needs a lil break from men's figure skating... surprisingly the sports illustrated swimsuit special just happens to be on NBCsports.

Just thought I'd share.

acr*

Since i'm too lazy to look it up, what channel is the USA-Russia game on tomorrow morning? NBC proper, USA network, or something else?

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
It's almost been a full week since the Bruins last played...I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms.:laugh:

Yeah. Said I wasn't going to stay up and watch Krejci last night. Then I did anyway like a duffuss. Watched the 1st period and said, ok, this is nuts. Then watched the rest of the game anyway. Nap, worked w/ bloodshot eyes, then caught the team Canada game.

I'd say that's full hockey withdrawal.

Chara vs Slovenia 3am, baby! (kidding)

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
If anyone needs a lil break from men's figure skating... surprisingly the sports illustrated swimsuit special just happens to be on NBCsports.

Just thought I'd share.

Seriously what a pointless event. I had NBCSN on earlier, turned my TV on, and this has been on since

Don't get me wrong I like half naked girls just as much as the next guy, but this is almost painful to watch. Like… The sense of self importance when pretty much no one hardly gives a crap about this is just awkward

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
People said the US suits gave the swim team an advantage in Beijing.

They were probably right. They are probably right now. These things get decided by tiny tiny margins. I can see the suits being the difference in certain events, good or bad.

Did they have issues during practice?

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
I wish Slovakia would just shut Chara down. They are going no where in this tournament, there is no relegation. Just do us a favor and sit him in the press box.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Like… The sense of self importance when pretty much no one hardly gives a crap about this is just awkward

The figure skating events are some of the highest priced and most difficult-to-get tickets during the games. That's not bad for an event that no one gives a crap about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad