Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Sochi Thread- General Thread

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I don't want Nash on the team. He doesn't seem to be a player that translates his game to the international ice.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I don't want Nash on the team. He doesn't seem to be a player that translates his game to the international ice.

I don't think you've seen him play much on international ice. He had one bad tournament on International Ice and that was the 06 Olympics when the entire team sucked balls. He has played well and produced points at all tournaments on international ice except for the 06.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I don't think you've seen him play much on international ice. He had one bad tournament on International Ice and that was the 06 Olympics when the entire team sucked balls. He has played well and produced points at all tournaments on international ice except for the 06.

True, I haven't seen him play much on international ice. However, I think Nash doesn't use his teammates as much as he should, and since international ice is a puck possession/skilled game, I don't think he'd be a better option than, let's say, Taylor Hall or St.Louis.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
He has played in a lot or WHC and he was dominant in 2010.

He is a lock IMO.

Not to mention I was there in Moscow 07 and was 50 feet away when one Mr. Nash delivered a gold medal. As much as I like T. Hall's speed game, at this point I'm still taking Nash and St. Louis over Hall.

although, I could find room on my roster for all 3. We take 25 players. I'm not opposed to Hall making the team (given he got the stats to back it up come December) and give him a game to see what he can do. I was however thoroughly unimpressed with Hall's game on international ice this past spring...but that I blame more on coach.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Not to mention I was there in Moscow 07 and was 50 feet away when one Mr. Nash delivered a gold medal. As much as I like T. Hall's speed game, at this point I'm still taking Nash and St. Louis over Hall.

although, I could find room on my roster for all 3. We take 25 players. I'm not opposed to Hall making the team (given he got the stats to back it up come December) and give him a game to see what he can do. I was however thoroughly unimpressed with Hall's game on international ice this past spring...but that I blame more on coach.

Agreed, but I think Ruff really misused him, as you said.

I really wouldn't mind Duchene making the team, he played really well at the past WHC.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Giroux will be played with Stammer. They had amazing chemistry together. I also hope Duchene makes the team, his game is perfect for the competition.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I thought I'd show my TC roster that only includes invites; so no Benn or Spezza.

I have two different variations of the same players:

St.Louis-Crosby-Stamkos
Hall-Tavares-Giroux
E.Staal-Bergeron-Toews
Nash-Getzlaf-Richards
Sharp
Duchene

Keith-Seabrook
Pietrangelo-Weber
Boumeester-Doughty
Subban-Hamhuis

Luongo
Price
Crawford

I'd like to see Nash on a higher line, but I just don't know where to put him. As MVW said, I wouldn't mind seeing Giroux put in with Stamkos; they showed some great chemistry at the WHC.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another variation:

Nash-Crosby-St.Louis
Tavares-Stamkos-Giroux
E.Staal-Bergeron-Toews
Hall-Getzlaf-Richards
Sharp
Duchene

Keith-Seabrook
Pietrangelo-Weber
Boumeester-Doughty
Subban-Hamhuis

Luongo
Price
Crawford

Last edited:

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Thought I would update my roster lineup for Team Canada. No changes whatsoever except for the defensive pairing combinations and a few changes to the forward combinations (Toews centers the 3rd line while Bergeron centers the 4th line).

the D pairings would look like this:

Keith-Seabrook
Weber-Doughty
Boumeester-Pietrangelo
Hamhuis-Subban
-----------------------------------------------

Team USA released their new jerseys:

img23347469.jpg

ew.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos
E.Staal-Toews-Giroux
Richards-Bergeron-Nash
Couture-Getzlaf-Perry
Hall,Sharp

Keith-Weber
Bouwmeester-Doughty
Hamhuis-Pietrangelo
Seabrook

Luongo
Price
Smith

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Call me crazy but I still think Marchand is going to be the extra forward. He's got speed, skill and he's irritating as **** to play against, not to mention he's already got chemistry with Bergeron.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Call me crazy but I still think Marchand is going to be the extra forward. He's got speed, skill and he's irritating as **** to play against, not to mention he's already got chemistry with Bergeron.

images

As per request. I actually love Marchand and I think he'd be an asset on the big ice.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
This is the roster I'd personally like to see Canada play, even if it's not the one they'll choose, since they'll doubtlessly go for name recognition over skill (e.g. Toews over Hall).

Kunitz - Crosby - St. Louis
Hall - Stamkos - Giroux
Ladd - Getzlaf - Nash
Lucic - Staal - Perry

Letang - Green
Boyle - Hamhuis
Subban - Phaneuf

Crawford
Holtby

Now I'll just sit back and let the hater ****storm begin... :yo:

May 27, 2012
Earth
This is the roster I'd personally like to see Canada play, even if it's not the one they'll choose, since they'll doubtlessly go for name recognition over skill (e.g. Toews over Hall).

Hall - Stamkos - Giroux
Ladd - Getzlaf - Nash
Lucic - Staal - Perry

Letang - Green
Boyle - Hamhuis
Subban - Phaneuf

Crawford
Holtby

Stamkos and St.Louis would have to be to be on the same line.

May 27, 2012
Earth
You can't not put the best right wing in the league with the best centre in the league. There is a world of difference between Crosby and Stamkos, even when considering the chemistry Stamkos and St. Louis already have.

That is why you keep them together. You want chemistry as quick as possible.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
That is why you keep them together. You want chemistry as quick as possible.

I understand, but I still prefer a St. Louis and Crosby pairing because I think the benefit of playing with Crosby outweighs the benefit of playing with your usual linemate, even if that's Steven Stamkos. Even when considering pre-existing chemistry, you have to go with putting him up there with Crosby, because Crosby's going to be able to generate more chances, chemistry or not.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
For U.S.A., I think this roster is best, again, even if it's not what they're going to play.

Pacioretty - Kane - Kessel
Parise - Stepan - Callahan
Van Riemsdyk - Oshie - Wheeler
Abdelkader - Backes - Okposo

Martin - Suter
Shattenkirk - McDonagh
Yandle - Bogosian

Anderson
Schneider

Yikes, compared to Canada's, this is about as ugly as Godzilla made out of trash... they've got us on goaltending though.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Hall - Stamkos - Giroux
Ladd - Getzlaf - Nash
Lucic - Staal - Perry

Letang - Green
Boyle - Hamhuis
Subban - Phaneuf

Crawford
Holtby

**** there is so much wrong with this. Phaneuf shouldn't be anywhere near the team. Doughty? Pietrangelo? WEBER?!?

There is no way current Selke winner and cup champion, as well as best forward of the tournament four years ago Toews is not on the team. Kunitz, Ladd and Lucic all are unworthy considering some of the names still out there. You can't make the argument St. Louis shouldn't play with Stamkos despite chemistry and then have Kunitz make the team because he has chemistry with Crosby.

Then your goaltending is a **** show. Crawford has earned the chance to be #3, not the starter.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
**** there is so much wrong with this. Phaneuf shouldn't be anywhere near the team. Doughty? Pietrangelo? WEBER?!?

There is no way current Selke winner and cup champion, as well as best forward of the tournament four years ago Toews is not on the team. Kunitz, Ladd and Lucic all are unworthy considering some of the names still out there. You can't make the argument St. Louis shouldn't play with Stamkos despite chemistry and then have Kunitz make the team because he has chemistry with Crosby.

Then your goaltending is a **** show. Crawford has earned the chance to be #3, not the starter.

plus letang and green together :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad