OT: 2014 Redskins Part VI: Winning the Offseason! (4-12-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
The talk around cutting Garçon has many different angles.

-Can't have 2 WRs making 9+ mil with no QB to get them the ball.
-Can't have 2 WRs making 9+ mil with so many holes to fill.
-Reports out there that Garçon has little confidence in Griffin and he has become disgruntled.

If it was up to me, and I had to choose between Jackson and Garçon I would choose Garçon every time. The guy is a great all around football player. Never takes plays off. Force blocking in the running game. Fearless in traffic. As Shanahan said, I wish the Skins had 30 Garcon's.

But the reality is different unfortunately. Jackson is a deep threat and Garçon has issues with the Owners favorite player. So Garçon probably gets cut. Ryan Grant is an excellent route runner and a good receiver, so he can fill the possession WR role to Jacksons deep threat, but Grant doesn't have Garcon's tenacity on the football field. If/when Garçon is cut it will be a sad day.

On a similar note, talk also swirls around Cousins not being on the roster one way or the other next year to ease things for Griffin. Or so it's speculated by Keim and others.

Hopefully McGlou can tune out the BS from above and keep the good players that are on the roster, but...we will have to wait and see.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Gordon, McGluey and Goodell walk into a room with a bottle of Jäger, the new NFL substance abuse policy, and one shot glass...

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
According to the all knowing Chris Russell, just now on 980, Kirk Cousins has spent a number of days working out with John (not Jay) Gruden from 8am to 6pm.

The closeness of John and Jay is well known, but there is also a relationship between John and McClou. It is being speculated on 980 that John is working with Cousins to help his brother out and/or to evaluate Cousins for his old Green Bay buddy McClou. So maybe the reports that Cousins will not be on the roster this year one way or the other is premature?

Last edited:

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Tune into 980 right now, Shanny's on.

JP Finlay ‏@JPFinlayCSN 4m4 minutes ago
Shanny starting off on @ESPNRadio980 throwing haymakers. Says Snyder wanted McNabb, he didnt want to give up any picks #RedskinsTalk

T ‏@TMM75 51s51 seconds ago
Mike Shanahan reiterating what's been said many times before Snyder wanted McNabb. Allen made it work. Shanahan wasn't too keen on any of it

Tarik El-Bashir ‏@TarikCSN 1m1 minute ago
Shanahan on McNabb acquisition: "Bruce [Allen] had the leeway to make the deal and I think he knew how much Dan [Snyder] wanted Donovan."

Last edited:

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Shanny going HAM

Tarik El-Bashir ‏@TarikCSN 44s44 seconds ago
Shanahan said he knew after McNabb and Haynesworth left the #Redskins that they "wouldn't last a year, and they didn't."

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Chris Russell ‏@Russellmania980
Mike Shanahan on RG3 @ESPNRadio980 "To be honest with you, I really liked him...He had the courage to hold the ball until the last second."

Chris Russell ‏@Russellmania980
Mike Shanahan on @ESPNRadio980 says he thought Robert would only work if they ran the Baylor offense - he could be successful. #Redskins

Tarik El-Bashir ‏@TarikCSN
Shanahan says he knew RG3 would need to run Baylor's offense to have success early on b/c becoming a pocket passer takes time. No guarantee.

Tarik El-Bashir ‏@TarikCSN
Shanahan concedes he didn't do a good job teaching RG3 to slide/get rid of ball b/c QBs can't be concerned with yards. Need to avoid hits.

Last edited:

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
Redskins coach Jay Gruden: "We'll go into the season with Robert as our No. 1 guy."

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Mike Jones ‏@MikeJonesWaPo
Redskins PR whisked Gruden away denying a chance for more than a couple followup questions.

Zac Boyer ‏@ZacBoyer
Atrocious job by Redskins PR, which had Gruden show up eight minutes late for presser and didn't let him speak to local reporters after.

Last edited:

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Chris Russell ‏@Russellmania980 12s13 seconds ago
Mike Shanahan on @ESPNRadio980 says Robert made it very clear that he wanted to pass more, run less & used language that sounded from Dan

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
BTW I still have a hard time believing Shanny completely, especially with the amount of times he has used "To be honest with you". That phrase is a marker for dishonesty.

Dan Snyder doesn't get any benefit of the doubt from me. He has a lot to prove. Guy has always, always, always been involved with player personnel. Shanny has no reason to lie. He's trying to find a head coaching gig. He doesn't want to get in a situation where Dan can come back at him about what he is saying.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Also, with the speculation that the Eagles may move up to six before the draft to draft mariota, I really hope the Skins trade the fifth pick out from under them.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Dan Snyder doesn't get any benefit of the doubt from me. He has a lot to prove. Guy has always, always, always been involved with player personnel. Shanny has no reason to lie. He's trying to find a head coaching gig. He doesn't want to get in a situation where Dan can come back at him about what he is saying.

I believe most of the Dan stuff. I just don't think he has been completely truthful despite the attempt to appear that way.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Chris Russell ‏@Russellmania980 12s13 seconds ago
Mike Shanahan on @ESPNRadio980 says Robert made it very clear that he wanted to pass more, run less & used language that sounded from Dan

This is the key wrinkle. This is the source of the major conflict for Robert. I said before it was probably coming from someone else (I suspected family) and it was making him feel trapped and not in control of his life. He looked like a defeated guy following the orders of others, much of which was contradictory.

It never made sense to me that RG3 wanted to change the style that made him successful and he still seemed to default to. Or that win-first coaches would want to do that. It may turn out, unbelievably, that it was coming from Snyder, through the QB, to the coach.

This is big if true. It fits the meddling Snyder story entirely. And it completely undermines the narrative that Shanahan had total control over the team and football operations.

It would also explain why Allen and Snyder then hired a coach that that trains and uses pocket passers. Which is more likely...that RG3 wanted to change his entire football skillset from what made him a star rookie and he was able to control the entire team and their hiring because of it, or that an owner with a history of micromanaging made the decision in order to protect his investment and then filtered it down to coaches he either got rid of or hired in accordance with that plan?

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Dan Steinberg ‏@dcsportsbog
Shanahan also said if the salary cap penalties were announced earlier, Washington wouldn't have traded for RGIII.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad