Prospect Info: 2014 Prospect Ranking Poll #9

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
They may have been willing to make that reach back then, but would they now? I'm not sure of that and no one should use that to approximate where he falls here. I never said he should be lower because he was injured. He looked like he was going to make a full recovery in the few game he played at year's end. I was judging that off of what I saw in the American league and with Plymouth, not his injury history.

Considering they traded for him I'd say they would. The Ducks are very high on this kid. I brought up his injury because I feel like that allowed others like Kerdiles to jump over him because he basically missed a year a development. Regardless, there just aren't any kids in the system who project to be better than him left out of these rankings.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Considering they traded for him I'd say they would. The Ducks are very high on this kid. I brought up his injury because I feel like that allowed others like Kerdiles to jump over him because he basically missed a year a development. Regardless, there just aren't any kids in the system who project to be better than him left out of these rankings.
That's not really true. Even if you think highly of Noesen, there are still prospects in the system left available that are at least at his level.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
That's not really true. Even if you think highly of Noesen, there are still prospects in the system left available that are at least at his level.

Friberg and maybe Roy are guys I think may be on Noesen's level. I'm very intrigued by Montour but I want reserve judgment until I see what he does against better, older competition. But everyone else is either a big question mark or clearly less talented. I mean we're down to the bottom of the top 10.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Friberg and maybe Roy are guys I think may be on Noesen's level. I'm very intrigued by Montour but I want reserve judgment until I see what he does against better, older competition. But everyone else is either a big question mark or clearly less talented. I mean we're down to the bottom of the top 10.
To you, yes.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Make a case then. Who's better and why. I acknowledged that Friberg and Roy could go neck and neck with him but why would anyone else be above him?
Well, those goal posts got shifted quick, didn't they? A minute ago there was no one "at his level", suddenly Friberg and Roy are, why I don't know. Considering how dismissive you were of both those players a month or so, I'm not sure why you've suddenly decided they are comparable. Why is Sorensen not comparable even though he had just as impressive of a year as Noesen did at the same age? Why is Montour more intriguing than the player that was drafted ahead of him in Pettersson?

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Well, those goal posts got shifted quick, didn't they? A minute ago there was no one "at his level", suddenly Friberg and Roy are, why I don't know. Considering how dismissive you were of both those players a month or so, I'm not sure why you've suddenly decided they are comparable. Why is Sorensen not comparable even though he had just as impressive of a year as Noesen did at the same age? Why is Montour more intriguing than the player that was drafted ahead of him in Pettersson?

I mentioned prior that I though those two players might be on his level so I don't understand why you think I'm backtracking (I still think they're beneath him but not enough to be definitive). As for Sorensen honestly I forgot about him. I still like Noesen more but I'd slip him above Friberg and Roy. I judge these players on how good they're probably going to be at this level. Noesen looks more like an NHL player than the others left on the list.

But you're dodging my question. What players are better than Noesen and why?

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I mentioned prior that I though those two players might be on his level so I don't understand why you think I'm backtracking (I still think they're beneath him but not enough to be definitive). As for Sorensen honestly I forgot about him. I still like Noesen more but I'd slip him above Friberg and Roy. I judge these players on how good they're probably going to be at this level. Noesen looks more like an NHL player than the others left on the list.

But you're dodging my question. What players are better than Noesen and why?
Why do you like Noesen more?

I think that Pettersson shows the tools of a 2/3 defenseman, all that's holding him back is muscle mass, which is easily fixable.. Noesen, by every projection that I've seen for him has him as a really good third liner. I agree with those assessments based on what I saw from him in Plymouth and Norfolk.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Noesen has a couple of things going for him. The front office said that they wanted him over Rakell just a year ago. So if you like Rakell and if you trust the scouts, then that should give him an esteem boost.

Despite the lost year, he seems to have produced at a good rate when he joined the AHL. In the playoffs too. And he had pretty good junior production.

That said, he doesn't sound full of tools. And there is still the lost year of development.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Why do you like Noesen more?

I think that Pettersson shows the tools of a 2/3 defenseman, all that's holding him back is muscle mass, which is easily fixable.. Noesen, by every projection that I've seen for him has him as a really good third liner. I agree with those assessments based on what I saw from him in Plymouth and Norfolk.

He has the size, speed and skillset of an NHL player. I liked what I saw in training camp. I will be very happy if he ends up being a really good third liner.

So Pettersson is the only player you like more than Noesen and the rest? Then why do you feel like his draft position is inflating his ranking? It sounds like he's right where you think he should be. I'm very weary on Pettersson until he fills out. That kid is waaaaaay skinny and needs to bulk up before I can get excited about his upside.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
He has the size, speed and skillset of an NHL player. I liked what I saw in training camp. I will be very happy if he ends up being a really good third liner.

So Pettersson is the only player you like more than Noesen and the rest? Then why do you feel like his draft position is inflating his ranking? It sounds like he's right where you think he should be. I'm very weary on Pettersson until he fills out. That kid is waaaaaay skinny and needs to bulk up before I can get excited about his upside.
No, personally, I liked what I saw out of Welinski, Friberg, Thompson, and Manson more - on top of Pettersson. I think that all four of those guys were better prospects along the way. Just in case anyone gets the wrong idea, I wanted Noesen and Silfverberg more than the hypothetical requests for Zibanejad and one of their D prospects - save for Ceci.

And sorry, what I was asking was why do you like Noesen more than Sorensen?

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
No, personally, I liked what I saw out of Welinski, Friberg, Thompson, and Manson more - on top of Pettersson. I think that all four of those guys were better prospects along the way. Just in case anyone gets the wrong idea, I wanted Noesen and Silfverberg more than the hypothetical requests for Zibanejad and one of their D prospects - save for Ceci.

And sorry, what I was asking was why do you like Noesen more than Sorensen?

Man you favor stay-at-home defensemen a lot more than I do. Projecting those players is very iffy as we've argued. But I appreciate your response.

As for Noesen over Sorensen it's his size and strength. That and he's further along in his development. Plus Sorensen's injury history really worries me. Sure Noesen missed a whole year because of his knee but Sorensen has missed a ton of hockey since he's been in the Q. I'm worried things will just get worse in that regard at this level.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Man you favor stay-at-home defensemen a lot more than I do. Projecting those players is very iffy as we've argued. But I appreciate your response.

As for Noesen over Sorensen it's his size and strength. That and he's further along in his development. Plus Sorensen's injury history really worries me. Sure Noesen missed a whole year because of his knee but Sorensen has missed a ton of hockey since he's been in the Q. I'm worried things will just get worse in that regard at this level.
Welinski and Thompson aren't stay at home defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad