2014 off-season predictions.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Following the 2013-2014 season, the off-season seems to be building up plenty of hype. Not just for the CBJ but for most NHL teams as there are numerous intriguing Free Agents (Restricted/Unrestricted).

Unrestricted Free Agents for the Jackets following this season:

- Marian Gaborik
- Derek MacKenzie
- Blake Comeau
- Curtis McElhinney
- Mike McKenna
- Nikita Nikitin

Restricted Free Agents for the Jackets following this season:

- Ryan Johansen
- Corey Tropp
- Tim Erixon
- David Savard
- Dalton Prout

Curious to see who you all believe will still be with us entering the 2014-2015 season. With Gaborik getting hurt, lots of speculation has came about of what's going to happen with him and his future with the CBJ. As for the other UFAs, I believe that Jarmo and JD will be faced with the decision of keeping either McKenna or McElhinney, I don't see both of them with us following this off-season. I do believe MacKenzie will be re-signed. However, I don't believe Comeau will be resigned. RyJo will receive a very niiiice contract extension. Tropp will more than likely be let go....

Some notable Free Agents across the league following this season: Vanek, Joe Thornton, Marleau, Dan Boyle, Markov, Milan Michalek, Radim Vrbata, Matt Moulson, Derek Roy, Cogliano, Niskanen, Dustin Penner, Brian Boyle..... etc.

Lots of talent within the free agents list for the off-season. Can you see any of the Free Agents signing with us? Which ones?

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Keep:
Erixon, Savard, Prout, Johansen, one of Comeau and MacKenzie, and MAYBE McElhinney

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I see us keeping all the RFA's.

I think all of the U's could be gone. I think Gabby is most likely to go wit MacKenzie & Comeau being the most likely to stay.

As far as us signing a UFA from outside I think it is unlikely we go after a big name. Guys I think we should consider Mason Raymond and if the price is right Ryan Callahan.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
I think we're still lacking a solid backup goaltender in a big way. We need to address that this off-season.

KingBob

Apr 22, 2013
Keep:

Erixon, Savard, Prout, Johansen, and maybe McElhinney.

Gaborik will hopefully traded.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Keep:
Erixon, Savard, Prout, Johansen, one of Comeau and MacKenzie, and MAYBE McElhinney

agreed...

hopeful we go with Smith/Forsberg in Springy next year which means unfortunately McKenna is gone...and with a hopeful emergence of a Chaput or Collins, it makes Comeau or DMac expendable...

I like Tropp's energy but not worth the extra contract to keep him unless boll is still not right...

and i've said my piece on Gaby

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
This seems to be an incredibly premature thread. How about if we let the season play out first?

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I see us keeping all the RFA's.

I think all of the U's could be gone. I think Gabby is most likely to go wit MacKenzie & Comeau being the most likely to stay.

As far as us signing a UFA from outside I think it is unlikely we go after a big name. Guys I think we should consider Mason Raymond and if the price is right Ryan Callahan.

I would some what consider Callahan a big name UFA. But I do agree, I want him. Seems to me like the type of player JD/Jarmo preaches(hard worker). I wonder if Dubinsky or Anisimov were friends with him in NY. Can they convince Callahan to come over? Would NYR even let him become a UFA or do they play on signing him? His current string of injuries is concerning me as well.

Would also love to go after Statsny, if Callahan is a no go.

Any interest in Cammalleri?

I could see Jarmo going after Stempniak.

Skille or Comeau, who would you rather have? Do we sign both of them?

Back up options, Elliot, Khudobin, Gustavsson, Greiss, Peters, Scrivens.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Why? Cammalleri has pissed folks off before, but I don't know if he's just an unpopular teammate or a sourpuss or what. Or if you have an entirely different complaint for him. What is clear is that he is the best sniper who will probably be available in the summer.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Cammaleri would be a good add if the money worked, but he will mostl ikely want big bucks. No thanks

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Here's a thought, we sign NOBODY from the outside. I'd prefer to keep McKenna over McElhinney.

If we go Bob/McKenna

AHL would be Forsberg and try to re sign Smith? Or Forsberg and someone else? Would you do Forsberg and Dansk? Would McElhinney sign a minor league contract? If he is willing, would you want him part of the organization? Or the thought of Bob or McKenna getting hurt and him possibly being the call up scares you?

*I mentioned Dansk because someone(maybe Sore Loser) said don't be surprise if Dansk doesn't go back to the CHL as 20 year old/over ager.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Cammaleri would be a good add if the money worked, but he will mostl ikely want big bucks. No thanks

Have you gone through the "Armchair GM" style simulations, on capgeek or elsewhere? If I try to be thrifty I end up with $7 million or so left over for a premier top line winger and none of the plausible free agents are all that enticing for that. We can guess that the marginal benefit is going to be low whether we sign one of the top free agents or re-sign Gaborik, its all a question of whether ownership wants to spend it.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If we go Bob/McKenna

AHL would be Forsberg and try to re sign Smith? Or Forsberg and someone else? Would you do Forsberg and Dansk? Would McElhinney sign a minor league contract? If he is willing, would you want him part of the organization? Or the thought of Bob or McKenna getting hurt and him possibly being the call up scares you?

*I mentioned Dansk because someone(maybe Sore Loser) said don't be surprise if Dansk doesn't go back to the CHL as 20 year old/over ager.

I don't know a lot about goalies, but I'd go with

NHL
Bobrovsky
Spendy Backup (Scrivens, Elliott, Greiss, etc...)

AHL
Forsberg
Dansk

This all depends on some shaky presumptions, most importantly that Forsberg is at least on the level of McDoubleBackup. I think so, but I'm guessing.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I would some what consider Callahan a big name UFA. But I do agree, I want him. Seems to me like the type of player JD/Jarmo preaches(hard worker). I wonder if Dubinsky or Anisimov were friends with him in NY. Can they convince Callahan to come over? Would NYR even let him become a UFA or do they play on signing him? His current string of injuries is concerning me as well.

Would also love to go after Statsny, if Callahan is a no go.

Any interest in Cammalleri?

I could see Jarmo going after Stempniak.

Skille or Comeau, who would you rather have? Do we sign both of them?

Back up options, Elliot, Khudobin, Gustavsson, Greiss, Peters, Scrivens.

Ranger fans currently debate these points constantly. The slight consensus seems to be that they think Callahan will want too much for too long given his injuries and his spotty play this season. He might be available but I think Jarmo would definitely have to be careful about the term & dollars for these reasons.

Statsny was one I considered but I think he will be too expensive and he hasn't justified his current contract imo much less a higher one, although he is playing better this year under Roy.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
And OP forgot to include Nikitin in the UFA list. I think we either trade him or let him walk. Although with Richards' love for Erixon it might not play out that way.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
If we go Bob/McKenna

Curtis has shown he can start somewhere. At his age, he'll go for the payday.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I don't see Dansk as ready for AHL yet...one more year in Erie then up to Springy...we will probably go Smith/xxx with in my view, should be Forsberg....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad