2014 NYI Mock Offseason

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Retain 2014 1st rounder - surrender 2015 1st to Buffalo.

Trade the 5th overall pick, 35th overall pick and PHI's 3rd(78th?) to Anaheim for Frederik Andersen, the 10th overall pick, and ANA '15 4th.

Re-sign Nabokov(1 year/$3M per); de Haan(4 years/$1.75M per); Cizikas(3 years/$1.25M per)

Sign Derek Morris, D: 3 years/$5M per

Draft:
1(10): Alex Tuch, RW(USA)
2(50): Adam Ollas Mattsson, D(SWE)
3(65): Ryan Donato, C(USA)
4(95): Brandon Robinson, LW(CAN)
4(108): Simon Kindschi, D(SUI)
4(114): Teemu Lamsa, C(FIN)

'14-15 Lineup:

Josh Bailey - John Tavares - Kyle Okposo
Anders Lee - Brock Nelson - Ryan Strome
Michael Grabner - Frans Nielsen - Cal Clutterbuck
Matt Martin - Casey Cizikas - Colin McDonald
x - Eric Boulton

Calvin de Haan - Travis Hamonic
Thomas Hickey - Derek Morris
Griffin Reinhart - Lubomir Visnovsky
x - Brain Strait; Matt Donovan
(Carkner waived - either claimed or sent to Bridgeport)

Frederik Andersen
Evgeni Nabokov

Bridgeport Depth:
Forward: Johan Sundstrom; John Persson; Sebastian Collberg; Mike Halmo; Brett Gallant; Joe Diamond; UFA Veteran(similar to C-Mac when he was signed)
Defense: Scott Mayfield; Kevin Czuczman; Ryan Pulock; Andrey Pedan; Ville Pokka; Adam Pelech; Matt Carkner(if he clears) - Ness walks*
Goal: Kevin Poulin; Anders Nilsson

Maybe not Cup caliber(yet), but should be enough to get us over the hump, and actually compete for a playoff spot again. Depending on the steps these young guys take, it could end up being much more than that.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Would a four year deal take de Haan into UFA? He's already burned through his ELC. Regardless, I say he gets a two year bridge deal, 3 or 4 mil per.

Trade for a goalie, I still think it'll be Reimer or Holtby. Garth can't afford to get burnt if all the UFA goalies sign elsewhere.

On board with Derek Morris, possibility of Anton Stralman or Nikita Nikitin.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I really don't see Carkner being waived, he's well respected by his teammates and the coaching staff, and I don't see us signing Morris. I think Nabby will be back and I hope they will throw big $$$ at Hiller. Other than that I don't see many changes. We will manage to hit the cap floor by resigning our free agents. I really hope you are right about Reinhart because I really don't feel confident with Donovan in the lineup and I'm not too sure how long Vis will stay in the lineup.

Last edited:

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Would a four year deal take de Haan into UFA? He's already burned through his ELC. Regardless, I say he gets a two year bridge deal, 3 or 4 mil per.

Trade for a goalie, I still think it'll be Reimer or Holtby. Garth can't afford to get burnt if all the UFA goalies sign elsewhere.

On board with Derek Morris, possibility of Anton Stralman or Nikita Nikitin.

From what I understand, a player will remain an RFA until he reaches 27 years of age, or until he's been in the league for 7 years(not sure if that counts AHL time, but even if it does I believe de Haan still falls within that timeframe).

If I'm wrong, you can cut it down a year, but I think we'll be OK with a 4 year deal.

Nikolai Koolaidman

Mar 7, 2014
Don't mind me but i am using your format

Re-sign Nabokov(1 year/$3M per); de Haan(4 years/$1.75M per); Cizikas(3 years/$1.25M per)

Sign Jaroslav Halak, Mike Cammalleri, Top 6 defensemen (1 year)

Draft:
1(5): Micheal Dal Colle, LW
2(34):Thatcher Demko, G

'14-15 Lineup:

Mike Cammalleri - John Tavares - Kyle Okposo
Anders Lee - Ryan Strome - Micheal Grabner/Brock Nelson
Josh Bailey - Frans Nielsen - Brock Nelson/Micheal Grabner
Matt Martin - Casey Cizikas - Cal Clutterbuck
x - Colin MacDonald, Eric Boulton

Thomas Hickey - Lubomir Visnovsky
Griffin Reinhart - X (Top 6 FA) (Let Griffin Reinhart Earn himself top 4 time)
x - Brain Strait, Matt Carkner

Jaroslav Halak
Evgeni Nabokov

Bridgeport Depth:
Forward: Johan Sundstrom; John Persson; Sebastian Collberg; Mike Halmo; Brett Gallant;
Defense: Scott Mayfield; Kevin Czuczman; Ryan Pulock; Andrey Pedan; Ville Pokka; Adam Pelech; Matt Donovan; Ness walks

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I really don't see Carkner being waived and I don't see us signing Morris. I think Nabby will be back and I hope they will throw big $$$ at Hiller. Other than that I don't see many changes. We will manage to hit the cap floor by resigning our free agents. I really hope you are right about Reinhart because I really don't feel confident with Donovan in the lineup and I'm not too sure how long Vis will stay in the lineup.

Reinhart is about as safe as it gets for prospects, and the amount of development he's received should limit or even eliminate his transition period. Never been as confident in a rookie having success as I am with Reinhart next season.

With Morris, it depends. I'm sure he loves being in Phoenix, but I'm also sure that Phoenix would not come close to matching that offer. Maybe he takes a discount, or maybe that money is too much to pass up for a guy looking at his last real pay-day. IMO, if we actually offer that, I'd consider it a toss-up on whether or not he agrees.

Not too confident in Vis lasting the year, but A) on the 3rd pairing, we can survive losing him. If he were expected to be our #3 or 4, then yeah it would hurt to lose him; and B) all I'm looking for out of him is 2 months of hockey. If he can do that, it will give our young guys some time - Reinhart time to adjust to the NHL, and one of Pulock/Pokka/Mayfield time to prove they are NHL ready. With three prospects at that level, one having a full year of AHL experience, and another having a few years experience playing with/against men, I don't think it's too unrealistic to expect one of them to earn a look at some point next year.

As long as we can bring in one UFA top-4, we should be able to handle any Visnovsky situation.

Karma42

Apr 15, 2014
Draft:

Never draft goalies that high, it's not worth it. Just look how successful Snow was.

You can get Reimer for a 3rd rd pick now, Holby seems available for a 2nd rd pick.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I surely don't like relying on unproven rookies as injury call ups but if we can get stellar goaltending then we might have a chance to at least make the playoffs. But don't kid yourself, that's not a lineup that will go very far. Not have quality NHL depth on the blue line is what did us in this year. But I guess with this organization all we can ask for is a step forward.

Last edited:

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
If I can dream:

-Re-sign Nabokov, Cizikas, CdH, Lee. Donovan/Nilsson 2-way deals. Poulin let go or traded for a 6th.
-MTL talks with Subban go poorly. We trade the 5th overall + Pulock for him. Give him a huge deal.
-Draft Demko with our 2nd rounder
-Sign Hiller or Halak to a 4/5 year deal at whatever $$ is needed
-Sign Cammalleri or Callahan

Cammalleri-Tavares-Okposo
Bailey-Nelson-Strome
Lee-Nielsen-Grabner
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
x- McDonald, Boulton

de Haan - Subban
Reinhart - Hamonic
Hickey - Visnovsky
x - Carkner, Strait (one of them goes, I guess)

Hiller
Nabokov

:D

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Trying to be realistic...

1) Trade a 5th round pick to the Ducks for Hiller's rights.
2) After Hiller turns down your offer, trade his rights to Washington for a 5th.
3) Trade Mtl 2 to Toronto for Reimer.
4) Sign Reimer to a 2 year x $2,000,000 deal.
5) Sign de Haan to a 2 year x $1,500,000 deal.
6) Sign Cizikas to a 3 year x $1,000,000 deal.
7) Sign Lee to a 2 year x $1,250,000 deal.
8) Sign Matt Donovan to a 1 year x $900,000 deal.
9) Sign Nabokov to a 1 year x $2,000,000 deal.
10) Sign Tom Gilbert for 4 years x $4,000,000
11) Sign Milan Michalek for 4 years x $5,000,000

Results:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Milan Michalek ($5.000m) / John Tavares ($5.500m) / Kyle Okposo ($2.800m)
Anders Lee ($1.250m) / Ryan Strome ($0.863m) / Michael Grabner ($3.000m)
Josh Bailey ($3.300m) / Frans Nielsen ($2.750m) / Brock Nelson ($0.900m)
Matt Martin ($1.000m) / Casey Cizikas ($1.000m) / Cal Clutterbuck ($2.750m)
Eric Boulton ($0.650m) / Colin McDonald ($0.638m)
DEFENSEMEN
Calvin de Haan ($1.500m) / Travis Hamonic ($3.857m)
Lubomir Visnovsky ($4.750m) / Tom Gilbert ($4.000m)
Thomas Hickey ($0.675m) / Brian Strait ($0.775m)
Matt Carkner ($1.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
James Reimer ($2.000m)
Evgeni Nabokov ($2.000m)
BUYOUTS
Rick DiPietro ($0.000m)
Alexei Yashin ($2.204m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $54,661,976; BONUSES: $2,900,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $16,438,024

Cap payroll is slightly above the floor. Reimer and Nabokov should be able to give league-average goaltending.

Gilbert is a solid 20-22 minute a night defenseman which is what the Isles need. Wouldn't want to go 4 years, but the market is what it is.

Michalek is not an elite scoring winger, but he plays a good 2-way game and can take the
pressure off JT.

Obviously things change if we could sign Hiller or Halak, which is why I would make a play for them before free agency. But I am assuming they don't sign with us. In any event, I don't go into free agency without having a goalie in place.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Trade our 5th overall + a 2nd rd pick to move up high enough to draft Reinhart

Get Holtby. Offersheet, trade, whatever it takes... if the Caps wanna move him Snowy has to make him an Islander.

Sign either one of the LA Kings UFA dmen - Greene or Mitchell. Both are defense first guys and both are leaders.

Nelson-JT-KO
Lee-Nielsen-Bailey
Grabner-Strome-Clutt
Martin-Zeeker-CMac
Halmo

Dehaan-Hammer
Vis-Hickey
Big Griff-Mitchell
Strait/Church/Donovan

Holtby
Nabby

If Strome plays well he will be 2nd line centre by January, allowing Franzy to slide back to 3rd line.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If I can dream:

-Re-sign Nabokov, Cizikas, CdH, Lee. Donovan/Nilsson 2-way deals. Poulin let go or traded for a 6th.
-MTL talks with Subban go poorly. We trade the 5th overall + Pulock for him. Give him a huge deal.
-Draft Demko with our 2nd rounder
-Sign Hiller or Halak to a 4/5 year deal at whatever $$ is needed
-Sign Cammalleri or Callahan

Bailey-Nelson-Strome
Lee-Nielsen-Grabner
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
x- McDonald, Boulton

de Haan - Subban
Reinhart - Hamonic
Hickey - Visnovsky
x - Carkner, Strait (one of them goes, I guess)

Hiller
Nabokov

:D

I love the idea of Subban and think it's withing reach, but the Isles would have to add another piece to the 5th overall pick and Pulock. I'm thinking Grabner.

Then we sign a guy like Cammalleri to replace Grabner's roster spot, bump everyone down, and sign a goalie.

Bailey-Nielsen-Strome
Lee-Nelson-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Boulton

Reinhart-Subban
de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Vis

Carkner

UFA Goalie
Nabby

Let's be honest, we can't expect Vis to be a factor next year due to health concerns. Considering that, we'll need another gun on the point for the powerplay even more than we would with a healthy Vis and Subban would fill that need and bring in another top four (top pairing actually) defenseman with a right handed shot capable of logging big minutes.

Pulock is nice and all and projects to be a top four defenseman, but Subban is already a top pairing defenseman and Norris winner. Yeah he wants big bucks, but he is a Norris winner and we can without a doubt fit him into our cap structure.

I'd do that deal in a instant.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I love the idea of Subban and think it's withing reach, but the Isles would have to add another piece to the 5th overall pick and Pulock. I'm thinking Grabner.

Then we sign a guy like Cammalleri to replace Grabner's roster spot, bump everyone down, and sign a goalie.

Bailey-Nielsen-Strome
Lee-Nelson-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Boulton

Reinhart-Subban
de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Vis

Carkner

UFA Goalie
Nabby

Let's be honest, we can't expect Vis to be a factor next year due to health concerns. Considering that, we'll need another gun on the point for the powerplay even more than we would with a healthy Vis and Subban would fill that need and bring in another top four (top pairing actually) defenseman with a right handed shot capable of logging big minutes.

Pulock is nice and all and projects to be a top four defenseman, but Subban is already a top pairing defenseman and Norris winner. Yeah he wants big bucks, but he is a Norris winner and we can without a doubt fit him into our cap structure.

I'd do that deal in a instant.

So, you think Wang is going to shell out $8M for Subban, $6M for Cammaleri, AND another $5-6M for a goalie?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
So, you think Wang is going to shell out $8M for Subban, $6M for Cammaleri, AND another $5-6M for a goalie?

They offered Vanek big money, so yes I do think Wang would shell out money for a top pairing, Norris winning defenseman, as well as a legit starting goaltender. Plus if they go after a guy like Holtby, he'll get closer to 3.5M-4.5M per.

As for Cammalleri, he's on the back end of his career and his numbers have been going down. With guys like Vanek, Gaborik, and Moulson hitting the open market, I could see Cammalleri looking for that last payday and long term security over average annual value, which i don't think would be anywhere near 6M per anyway.

Plus, your numbers on Subban and the goalie are a tad inflated but I'm assuming you did that to support you opinion better? :laugh:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Draft Dal Colle

sign Halak

Sign Greene or Morris

Drop Carkner

I'd be happy with these moves. Baby steps.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Ain't gonna happen! We are going to skim the cap floor and we can do that by just signing a #1 goalie and resigning our own free agents. This is the Islanders we're talking about.:help:

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Goalie: We are going to end up signing Greiss and/or Nabby.

Draft: We end up keeping 5th, draft Dal Colle or Bennett.

Free Agency: Re-sign Lee, Cdh, Cizikas. and someone who is cheap and washed-up example: Dany Heatley, Cammalerri is not going to sign with us, he wasted years in Calgary losing why would he come here? So garth ends up dumpster diving, finds another PMB and Regin type.

Rinse, Wash, Repeat. :help:

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Plus, your numbers on Subban and the goalie are a tad inflated but I'm assuming you did that to support you opinion better? :laugh:

No, I used logic.

If Subban is willing to sign for under $8M, Montreal will sign him. If they are trading him, it is because he is asking for more than they are willing to spend.

As for goalies, you said in your original post UFA goalie. Holtby is under contract with Washington. I assumed you meant a proven starter and not someone like Greiss. Hiller and Halak will get $5M+ on the open market. Washington and Minnesota need goalies, and are far more attractive situations than the Islanders. So, I simply assumed that if other teams are willing to pay $5M for an established starter, the Isles will need to pay $6M.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Subban is gonna cost more than Pulock and the 5th overall pick, I would think they would want a proven player aswell with some good potential like Nelson

God I would love Subban on a 8 year deal, but yeah, it would be costly. I'd seriously consider it, even for Nelson.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Never draft goalies that high, it's not worth it. Just look how successful Snow was.

You can get Reimer for a 3rd rd pick now, Holby seems available for a 2nd rd pick.

This is terrible, terrible logic. Take the best goalie in the draft if he's available in the 2nd round.

Let's look at (statistically) the top 15 goalies this year who played more than 40 games (sorted by save percentage) -

1. Rask - 1st round
2. Varly - 1st round
3. Price - 1st round
4. Bishop - 3rd round
5. Bernier - 1st round
6. Bobrovsky - Undrafted after 4 years in KHL
7. Halak - 9th round
8. Schneider - 1st round
9. Lundqvist - 7th round
10. Lehtonen - 1st round
11. Luongo - 1st round
12. Miller - 5th round
13. Mason - 3rd round
14. Crawford - 2nd round
15. Fleury - 1st round

1st round goalies - 8/15
2nd round goalies - 1/15
3rd round goalies - 2/15
5th round goalies - 1/15
7th round goalies - 1/15
9th round goalies - 1/15
Undrafted goalies - 1/15

Can you find a superstar goalie like Lundqvist late in the draft? Absolutely. But the chances are about as good as finding a Datysuk or Zetterberg in the late rounds.

Still believing "the first goalie drafted is just as good as the last goalie drafted!" is childish. It's a problem Snow has, believing 5th rounder Kevin Poulin can be our stud, as opposed to just a 5th rounder.

scott99

May 13, 2005

Draft:

'14-15 Lineup:

Jaroslav Halak
Evgeni Nabokov

Bridgeport Depth:
Forward: Johan Sundstrom; John Persson; Sebastian Collberg; Mike Halmo; Brett Gallant;
Defense: Scott Mayfield; Kevin Czuczman; Ryan Pulock; Andrey Pedan; Ville Pokka; Adam Pelech; Matt Donovan; Ness walks

Actually, I like this a lot ! I'm a big Halak fan, I think it would be great luck if we could land Demko at 34 (35 really, NJ picks 30 now). I like Cammaleri with JT. And a solid #6 dman couldn't hurt.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Never draft goalies that high, it's not worth it. Just look how successful Milbury was.

Depending on the goalie, the second round isn't that bad, though they could try and drop to see if he could still be on the board 10 picks later.....though both Holtby and Andersen should be i the Islander's scope.

Also, corrected. ;)

Draft:

'14-15 Lineup:

Jaroslav Halak
Evgeni Nabokov

Bridgeport Depth:

I could live with that, assuming Lee & Brock successfully complete a good trio of varying types of power forwards, along with Okie.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I surely don't like relying on unproven rookies as injury call ups but if we can get stellar goaltending then we might have a chance to at least make the playoffs. But don't kid yourself, that's not a lineup that will go very far. Not have quality NHL depth on the blue line is what did us in this year. But I guess with this organization all we can ask for is a step forward.

Not sure what you expect. Most teams' AHL depth are rookies. Maybe there are a few with solid 3rd pairing NHL vets stuck in the AHL, but that isn't exactly the norm.

Look at Boston last year. They relied upon Krug and Bartkowski, both rookies, when injuries arose late in the year, and they are/were considered one of the deepest teams in hockey. Regardless of what you think of the rookies, they will be nothing more than emergency depth. As I posted in the OP, we'll be carrying 8 defensemen, and one of the extras would be Strait who is perfectly capable of stepping in to a bottom-pairing role.

As long as we add one UFA, the depth will be fine. Worst case scenario, there are always guys like Klesla this year who are put on waivers. It shouldn't be difficult to find a decent #6 or 7 if multiple injuries arise.

SpeedDemon

Apr 13, 2011
Classified

Trade the 5th overall pick, 35th overall pick and PHI's 3rd(78th?) to Anaheim for Frederik Andersen, the 10th overall pick, and ANA '15 4th.

Sign Derek Morris, D: 3 years/$5M per

Draft:
1(10): Alex Tuch, RW(USA)
2(50): Adam Ollas Mattsson, D(SWE)
3(65): Ryan Donato, C(USA)
4(95): Brandon Robinson, LW(CAN)
4(108): Simon Kindschi, D(SUI)
4(114): Teemu Lamsa, C(FIN)

'14-15 Lineup:

Josh Bailey - John Tavares - Kyle Okposo
Anders Lee - Brock Nelson - Ryan Strome
Michael Grabner - Frans Nielsen - Cal Clutterbuck
Matt Martin - Casey Cizikas - Colin McDonald
x - Eric Boulton

Thomas Hickey - Derek Morris
Griffin Reinhart - Lubomir Visnovsky
x - Brain Strait; Matt Donovan
(Carkner waived - either claimed or sent to Bridgeport)

Frederik Andersen
Evgeni Nabokov

Bridgeport Depth:
Forward: Johan Sundstrom; John Persson; Sebastian Collberg; Mike Halmo; Brett Gallant; Joe Diamond; UFA Veteran(similar to C-Mac when he was signed)
Defense: Scott Mayfield; Kevin Czuczman; Ryan Pulock; Andrey Pedan; Ville Pokka; Adam Pelech; Matt Carkner(if he clears) - Ness walks*

Maybe not Cup caliber(yet), but should be enough to get us over the hump, and actually compete for a playoff spot again. Depending on the steps these young guys take, it could end up being much more than that.

I sincerely doubt the Ducks give up Andersen in that deal or any deal. as much as I like the guy I doubt he's moving. Even if Hiller resigns by the it's a long shot.

If I'm an Isles fan I want no more part of the aging dinosaur (Nabakov)
Derek Morris is no longer the player he was with Calgary
Carkner and Boulton. why the hell do today's teams need enforcers who do nothing but fight ??.

here's my option
Give Buffalo 5th overall pick
Trade two seconds or second and 1 or 2 3rd's for 2014 1st and 2015 2nd.
Draft a reliable playmaking winger who is a RHS
trade for Jannik Hansen.
bring in Koskinen from eruope on tryout basis (at the minimum)
see what holes you can plug with free agency.
knowing this team they'll be in the running for a top 5 pick once again next spring

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad