Pre-Game Talk: 2014 NHL Entry Draft - Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Bleackley is "slightly undersized"? :help: Compared to what? Stonehenge? Zdeno Chara? The Empire State Building?

as a Hockey Player, Bleackley's size is one of his advantages over some others. He's at least as big, if not bigger than McCann, though it's too close to really matter to me much. Both have very "average" size. More than enough really.

On Bleackleys height... He measured 6'1, and almost 200 lbs...not really undersized if you ask me.

Yeah, I don't get the undersized bit either... :dunno:

@feebs: Understood.

Also, McCann was rightfully talked about in the top10 earlier in the year. He was racking up the points, and was an offensive focus to his otherwise defensive minded team. Further, has enough IQ to be a defensive minded centre. Let's not completely undersell McCann against the field when devaluing him against other centres... There's still value to be had.

DET fans have been pining for this guy since mid-year. I still think he gets picked before Bleackley, even though I like Bleackley more.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He'd also be a good pick but I see about 3% chance of the canucks taking him based on what they've been saying.

Yup. Just can't see them taking Ehlers. Nylander, maybe, as they are desperate for centres.

I also believe that the Canucks are in the right draft spot (6) for Florida to potentially strike a deal with.

Ehlers or Nylander is almost 90% guaranteed to be there and we're sandwiched by 2 eastern teams that they may be hesitant to deal with.

Just depends what the asking price is.

I'd be somewhat disappointed if we got #1 and took Reinhart but that's just solely based on personal preference.

I wouldn't mind, even though I go back and forth on Bennett/Reinhart for 1st overall. At the very least, VAN gets a 1C prospect.

Agree on the position. It's the best position to be in for FLA to get their guy, assuming none of the big5 fall. They should get first pick of Ehlers or Nylander.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yeah, I don't get the undersized bit either... :dunno:

@feebs: Understood.

Also, McCann was rightfully talked about in the top10 earlier in the year. He was racking up the points, and was an offensive focus to his otherwise defensive minded team. Further, has enough IQ to be a defensive minded centre. Let's not completely undersell McCann against the field when devaluing him against other centres... There's still value to be had.

DET fans have been pining for this guy since mid-year. I still think he gets picked before Bleackley, even though I like Bleackley more.

6'1'' 200 is not a size deficiency. Honestly, if you are bigger than 5'10'' and know how to use your size you don't have a size deficiency. Raffi Torres is a fairly good example of this, but he is a chunky guy as well.

I'm more concerned about someone having his head down entering the zone than a guy being small, like I've probably said a thousand times.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Bleackley is "slightly undersized"? :help: Compared to what? Stonehenge? Zdeno Chara? The Empire State Building?

as a Hockey Player, Bleackley's size is one of his advantages over some others. He's at least as big, if not bigger than McCann, though it's too close to really matter to me much. Both have very "average" size. More than enough really.

Hmm.. everytime i watched him (earlier in year) he looked a smudge under 6 feet. If he is indeed 6'1 now then i take him over McCann with ease.

Thats a nice package of smarts, 2 way game.

McCann is a better skater, just not as high on him.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Just in case anybody missed it, it seems as though NHL has updated the heights and weights of the prospects (I might be wrong).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=1&sort=finalRank&year=2014

Some notables:

Sam Bennett 6'0" 178 lbs
Aaron Ekblad 6'3" 213 lbs
Sam Reinhart 6'1" 186 lbs
Leon Draisaitl 6'1" 208 lbs
Michael Dal Colle 6'2" 182 lbs
Jake Virtanen 6'0" 208 lbs
Nick Ritchie 6'2" 226 lbs
William Nylander 5'9" 169 lbs (I thought he was closer to 5'11")
Dylan Larkin 6'1" 190 lbs
Julius Honka 5'7" 180 lbs (short!!)
Nikolaj Ehlers 5'10" 176 lbs (only 6 pounds lighter than MDC while 4 inches shorter)
Nikita Scherbak 6'0" 172 lbs
Ivan Barbashev 6'0" 181 lbs
Robert Fabbri 5'10" 170 lbs
Brendan Perlini 6'2" 205 lbs
Haydn Fleury 6'2" 202 lbs
Alex Tuch 6'4" 213 lbs
Jared McCann 6'0" 175 lbs
Joshua Ho-Sang 5'11" 175 lbs
Brayden Point 5'10" 160 lbs
Kevin Fiala 5'9" 178 lbs
David Pastrnak 5'10" 165 lbs
Markus Pettersson 6'3" 167 lbs (SKINNY; somebody quick give him a cheeseburger)
Thatcher Demko 6'4" 192 lbs

Some additional thoughts:
Ritchie is definitely the heaviest guy there.
Ehlers "may" be more built than MDC.
Nylander is smaller than I originally thought.
Fabbri is similar to Ehlers in build.
Honka is short, real short, but 180 lbs suggest he knows the gym well. But he's just too short.
Markus Pettersson definitely has some years to fill in his frame.

Last edited:

Frostage

May 23, 2014
Don't know how much stock to put into it but they have a top 10 on canucks.com and it follows ISS rankings (1-10)

Reinhart
Ekblad
Dal Colle
Bennett
Nylander
Draisaitl
JV
Fabbri
Perlini
Ritchie

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Going to surprise those who said he could never gain weight because he had a skinny neck (oh you people...) that he gained 13 lbs this season.

I also saw a recent interview of him where he acknowledges he's not big and that he intends to work hard and put weight on. Also has a good grasp of what he does well (speed and score goals) and what he needs to improve on (winning battles). He talked a lot about improving himself and trying to be the best.

Seems like a guy who can objectively look at himself, set high goals, and work hard to achieve them. I like his on and off ice work ethic.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Indeed they most be outdated...

Ehlers didn't weigh 176 lbs in the past.

I'm skeptical B/C of Nylander's and Honka's height, but I'm not quite sure they're outdated either since several prospects have gained weight from when I previously remembered.

On the other hand, I've never seen Nylander's height listed greater than 5'10"... Its conceivable his actual height may have been an inch shorter.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Ehlers also weighs about as much as Sherback, McCann, Bennett.

Does this mean we will stop hearing about how 'small' he is?

The vocal concern won't be as pronounced as when Ehlers was 167lbs, but they'll still be there. Interesting to see him land at 5'10". Thought he was 6'0"?

Also interesting to see Nylander's height at 5'9".

Certain aspects make me think this is actually the updated list. Ritchie's height is more correctly listed as 6'2", while MDC's weight seems more accurate at 182 lbs, instead of the 171 lbs he was listed at before. And most importantly, Fabbri looks pretty similar to Ehlers in build, which seems right based on late season viewership.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Honestly, I would do it also just because I don't see horvat being anything more then a great third liner. Average 2nd liner

That's because you've watched him play 8 times. Again, I ask you what did a guy like Couture or ROR show at 19 that Horvat hasn't?

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
Those numbers are rounded, Reinhart has been listed at 6'0.75" and Bennett at 6'0.25" so it could be a rounding issue for Nylander.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
Just in case anybody missed it, it seems as though NHL has updated the heights and weights of the prospects (I might be wrong).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=1&sort=finalRank&year=2014

Some notables:

Sam Bennett 6'0" 178 lbs
Aaron Ekblad 6'3" 213 lbs
Sam Reinhart 6'1" 186 lbs
Leon Draisaitl 6'1" 208 lbs
Michael Dal Colle 6'2" 182 lbs
Jake Virtanen 6'0" 208 lbs
Nick Ritchie 6'2" 226 lbs
William Nylander 5'9" 169 lbs (I thought he was closer to 5'11")
Dylan Larkin 6'1" 190 lbs
Julius Honka 5'7" 180 lbs (short!!)
Nikolaj Ehlers 5'10" 176 lbs (only 6 pounds lighter than MDC while 4 inches shorter)
Nikita Scherbak 6'0" 172 lbs
Ivan Barbashev 6'0" 181 lbs
Robert Fabbri 5'10" 170 lbs
Brendan Perlini 6'2" 205 lbs
Haydn Fleury 6'2" 202 lbs
Alex Tuch 6'4" 213 lbs
Jared McCann 6'0" 175 lbs
Joshua Ho-Sang 5'11" 175 lbs
Brayden Point 5'10" 160 lbs
Kevin Fiala 5'9" 178 lbs
David Pastrnak 5'10" 165 lbs
Markus Pettersson 6'3" 167 lbs (SKINNY; somebody quick give him a cheeseburger)
Thatcher Demko 6'4" 192 lbs

Some additional thoughts:
Ritchie is definitely the heaviest guy there.
Ehlers "may" be more built than MDC.
Nylander is smaller than I originally thought.
Fabbri is similar to Ehlers in build.
Honka is short, real short, but 180 lbs suggest he knows the gym well. But he's just too short.
Markus Pettersson definitely has some years to fill in his frame.

Funny how everyone always forgets about Kapanen.

5'11" 180

Not bad

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Late to the party, but i too view those measurements with some skepticism. I always use the combine invite list as a marker for their "older" measurements. There are some realistic changes, then there are some absurd changes too.

How hard is it for central scouting to release the official heights and weight. Its a cut and dry process that can be completed by an intern in less than an hour if they know what they are doing. It's harmless to release them. I really don't know what they've been thinking. This guessing game is tiring.

I think the most accurate measurements for the select few that attended the U20/U18s is from the IIHF. There is no way Honka is 5'7"; no way he is smaller than Hicketts. Honka is 5'10", 179lbs at the WJC. To me, that's fairly accurate. Based on the eye test, might even be closer to the 5'11" mark.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I also saw a recent interview of him where he acknowledges he's not big and that he intends to work hard and put weight on. Also has a good grasp of what he does well (speed and score goals) and what he needs to improve on (winning battles). He talked a lot about improving himself and trying to be the best.

Seems like a guy who can objectively look at himself, set high goals, and work hard to achieve them. I like his on and off ice work ethic.

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/?id=625434

Sabres has done a lot of ground work with interviews with several top prospects.

Ehlers and Nylander included.

Anyone in here write this?

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/6/18/jake-virtanen-is-good-so-don-t-draft-him

Don't read it, if you hate the pro ppg discussion. :D

Or if you really want us to draft Virtanen.

Also like to quote this from Ehlers board:

On the road Ehlers would face the second pairing and the other top line as the home coaches would put his checkers on Drouin.

At home they would strive to get Drouin away from the checkers with the last change so Ehlers would face the top defensive pairings.

Seems a lot in here are asking this question, has been debated alot in Ehlers own thread.

Last edited:

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
The vocal concern won't be as pronounced as when Ehlers was 167lbs, but they'll still be there. Interesting to see him land at 5'10". Thought he was 6'0"?

Also interesting to see Nylander's height at 5'9".

Certain aspects make me think this is actually the updated list. Ritchie's height is more correctly listed as 6'2", while MDC's weight seems more accurate at 182 lbs, instead of the 171 lbs he was listed at before. And most importantly, Fabbri looks pretty similar to Ehlers in build, which seems right based on late season viewership.

Nylander is 5'11. Kids grow you know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad