Pre-Game Talk: 2014 NHL Entry Draft (for non-6th overall pick discussion) - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

http://futureconsiderations.ca/fcs-draft-countdown-30-26/

FC's 26-30 ranked prospects. Decent write-ups, decent chance some of them are available where we pick.

Am shocked they have Kapanen so low, though.

Kapanen is the hardest read in the draft for me. Don't have near enough views of him, and obviously he's been in a crap situation all year in the SM-Liiga as well as being injured for the WJC, and having a brutal U18.

I don't know how to rank him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-draft/ekblad-an-easy-no-1-for-florida-in-nhl-draft/

Mock Draft from Patrick King at Sportsnet. Instead of getting dragged into the 6th overall debate, lets look at the bottom half of this mock and how it plays into our potential at 36.

Best I can tell from a quick scan of our boards Mock Draft: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1669785

Is that Ho-Sang, Pastrnak, Goldobin are not in the 1st round for Sportsnet in place of Doughtery, Demko, and DeAngelo.

So lets run with these 6 as 28th to 33rd overall.

So by our teams mock, we're looking at:

34. Bleackley
35. Point
36. Karlsson
37. Pollock
38. Glover
39. Cornel

Lets start debating this selection like we have, to the 6th. I honestly feel this is where the fall off starts in the draft. For me, I'm hoping teams fall in love with Karlsson and Glover, pushing the Goldobin, Ho-Sang, Pastrnak group back. I'd prefer to have one of these 5: Ho-Sang, Bleackley, Pastrnak, Pollock, and Goldobin.

If that's what we're looking at, i'd be happy with most of those options. Not that big on Pollock or what i know of Karlsson. But the others would all be good options.

I really like Glover's tools and upside. Might be an exercise in patience though with him.

Goldobin is a really interesting one if he ends up being there. Huge upside if he's willing to work for it, but doesn't really scream "Benning Pick" to me.

Bleackley would be a solid "safe" pick there. I think you're bound to get a player out of him in some capacity. Hard for me to get too excited about his upside, much like the Gaunce pick...but if you want to stock the cupboard with "size" and "character", and make sure you at least get on base with the pick, he'd be an obvious choice there for Benning and co.

Brayden Point would be a heck of a pick too. So much skill, though i know a lot of people will be scared off by his size, which is fair. He doesn't strike me as a Schroeder type who compounds the size issue by playing a bit of a passive/detached game though, but it's always a concern.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-draft/ekblad-an-easy-no-1-for-florida-in-nhl-draft/

Mock Draft from Patrick King at Sportsnet. Instead of getting dragged into the 6th overall debate, lets look at the bottom half of this mock and how it plays into our potential at 36.

Best I can tell from a quick scan of our boards Mock Draft: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1669785

Is that Ho-Sang, Pastrnak, Goldobin are not in the 1st round for Sportsnet in place of Doughtery, Demko, and DeAngelo.

So lets run with these 6 as 28th to 33rd overall.

So by our teams mock, we're looking at:

34. Bleackley
35. Point
36. Karlsson
37. Pollock
38. Glover
39. Cornel

Lets start debating this selection like we have, to the 6th. I honestly feel this is where the fall off starts in the draft. For me, I'm hoping teams fall in love with Karlsson and Glover, pushing the Goldobin, Ho-Sang, Pastrnak group back. I'd prefer to have one of these 5: Ho-Sang, Bleackley, Pastrnak, Pollock, and Goldobin.

A couple other possibly remaining guys in that scenario that I like are Hawryluk and Dominik Masin.

Anyone have any insight on Luc Snuggerud?

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Was just fiddling around with an excel spreadsheet of the draft eligibles (ranking/grading them); it's a good thing we sucked this year and don't have our usual low 20s pick. I get to about #20 and then I just see a bunch of guys I consider second rounders.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Point at 36 seems like a no brainer to me...

#statsguy
#doesn'twatchthegames

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Was just fiddling around with an excel spreadsheet of the draft eligibles (ranking/grading them); it's a good thing we sucked this year and don't have our usual low 20s pick. I get to about #20 and then I just see a bunch of guys I consider second rounders.

Going by that mock draft posted above, Scherbak is pretty amazing value for that spot. Pastrnak is also available, as far as I can tell. All depends on how the draft goes, I guess.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I like their list. Nylander at 4 ;)

I don't really understand that. It isn't a mock draft, it's a ranking. They're saying we'd get more value taking Nylander if no one "falls" than if either Draisaitl or MDC falls to 6 and we take one of them. If it were a mock draft then I could see it but as a ranking I think 95% of people here would disagree.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
If he's still available at 36, I doubt he will be...Sanheim should be our guy. As much as we'd want another forward I think it'd be worth it.

Another guy I like is Edgars Kulda. Though I get the sense another overager might be unpopular...

arsmaster*

If that's what we're looking at, i'd be happy with most of those options. Not that big on Pollock or what i know of Karlsson. But the others would all be good options.

I really like Glover's tools and upside. Might be an exercise in patience though with him.

Goldobin is a really interesting one if he ends up being there. Huge upside if he's willing to work for it, but doesn't really scream "Benning Pick" to me.

Bleackley would be a solid "safe" pick there. I think you're bound to get a player out of him in some capacity. Hard for me to get too excited about his upside, much like the Gaunce pick...but if you want to stock the cupboard with "size" and "character", and make sure you at least get on base with the pick, he'd be an obvious choice there for Benning and co.

Brayden Point would be a heck of a pick too. So much skill, though i know a lot of people will be scared off by his size, which is fair. He doesn't strike me as a Schroeder type who compounds the size issue by playing a bit of a passive/detached game though, but it's always a concern.
Bleackley has very underrated skill.

I think he'll be gone. Lots of comps to Landeskog from some big time WHL followers on the prospects board.

I like his game a lot, and think he's much more skilled than Gaunce.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I don't really understand that. It isn't a mock draft, it's a ranking. They're saying we'd get more value taking Nylander if no one "falls" than if either Draisaitl or MDC falls to 6 and we take one of them. If it were a mock draft then I could see it but as a ranking I think 95% of people here would disagree.

How is it hard to understand. Future Considrations believes he's the fourth best player available. I somewhat agree. I'm happy with any of the top 6. If Nylander goes at 4/5 and we get Draisaitl/Dal Colle then I'm ecstatic. If we take Nylander at 6 then I'm also ecstatic. Anything else then I'll be disappoint :(

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
That's what I've been saying for a while now. At around 20, I see a drop off.

Been fiddling around with a spreadsheet too. Tough choices to be made after 80-100 players...
Bleackley has very underrated skill.

I think he'll be gone. Lots of comps to Landeskog from some big time WHL followers on the prospects board.

I like his game a lot, and think he's much more skilled than Gaunce.
I agree. Very underrated; definitely have him top20 for me. I don't understand the skating concerns, I think he moves fairly well. I like him more than McCann, more in your face and more jam in his game. Skill wise, I think Bleackley is definitely underrated. Good hands, good shot. Nice frame. Intangibles. Would love to get him at 36.

----

I have an updated draft thread ready to go when we near 1000 posts FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad