GDT: 2014 NHL Entry Draft – Part II

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl 1m

Sabres GM Tim Murray says team tried to avoid guys with third-line projections and swing for top-six talent that may or may not pan out.
I wish I could watch or hear the audio..

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Besides Reinhart, I'm pretty pissed with the rest of the draft. I'm not going to sit here and try to justify any of our GM's moves...but we reached for certain players and we have much better players available, especially in rounds 2 and 3, and we didn't get them. Im ecstatic we got Reinhart, but really extremely disappointed with the rest of the draft. Some real head scratchers in there...

Not a big fan of Murray or his personality in general, but I always gave him the benefit of the doubt to build this team the right way.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

Sabres GM Tim Murray says team tried to avoid guys with third-line projections and swing for top-six talent that may or may not pan out.

Don't know how I feel about that.

Interested in following the Barbashev threads that'll happen over on the STL board. Obviously, they'll be interested in why he dropped.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007

Interested in following the Barbashev threads that'll happen over on the STL board. Obviously, they'll be interested in why he dropped.

Darcy took the safe route almost all the time and had the best percentage of his picks making it to the NHL. He also didn't draft a single star/franchise type player in 17 freaking years. I am cool with the Murray approach.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

i dont know how you can say that with a straight face after taking Lemiuex over Hawyrluk

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

I'm a big fan of it, we need top six players, period. This team has for the last decade played it safe, I like the risk. I think we had one of the best drafts in awhile, outside of last year of course.

The Jokeman

Jun 28, 2014
Besides Reinhart, I'm pretty pissed with the rest of the draft. I'm not going to sit here and try to justify any of our GM's moves...but we reached for certain players and we have much better players available, especially in rounds 2 and 3, and we didn't get them. Im ecstatic we got Reinhart, but really extremely disappointed with the rest of the draft. Some real head scratchers in there...

Not a big fan of Murray or his personality in general, but I always gave him the benefit of the doubt to build this team the right way.

It's hard to comment on any of these kids as nobody really know what they will do. As to me the NHL draft is the biggest crap shoot of any of the major sports.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'm a big fan of it, we need top six players, period. This team has for the last decade played it safe, I like the risk. I think we had one of the best drafts in awhile, outside of last year of course.
I'm very happy with Reinhart and Lemieux.. I couldn't have wished for a more perfect draft. The other outside of these picks I couldn't tell you how I feel because I know little about them.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

I think since we are in the midst of having so many picks, we can be aggressive this year to add possible high end offensive talent.

Darcy took the safe route almost all the time and had the best percentage of his picks making it to the NHL. He also didn't draft a single star/franchise type player in 17 freaking years. I am cool with the Murray approach.

The reason why I say I don't know how I feel about that comment isn't because I don't agree with taking that approach, but rather because it seems to be the opposite of what he did. I absolutely think we're stocked with bottom 6 projects and need top 6 talent bad. Which is why I found the second round to be so disappointing. So now I'm confused. Obviously Murray had different evaluations than most of the scouting reports.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The reason why I say I don't know how I feel about that comment isn't because I don't agree with taking that approach, but rather because it seems to be the opposite of what he did. I absolutely think we're stocked with bottom 6 projects and need top 6 talent bad. Which is why I found the second round to be so disappointing. So now I'm confused. Obviously Murray had different evaluations than most of the scouting reports.

Or maybe his visions of a top 6 are different from conventional thinking.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC 6m

#Sabres GM Tim Murray, when asked what he knew about G Jonas Johansson: "Just what I've been told." i.e., never seen him, relied on scouts.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Or maybe his visions of a top 6 are different from conventional thinking.

???

What, like, having a shutdown first line and letting your fourth line do your scoring? I don't understand this comment.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL 1m

Tim Murray on signing Sam Reinhart right away: "Can I not enjoy this before I have to get pissed off?"

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
It's hard to comment on any of these kids as nobody really know what they will do. As to me the NHL draft is the biggest crap shoot of any of the major sports.

The top few picks are generally the safest out of all the major sports, but after that, it's very much a crap shoot. I have a hard time having a strong opinion on 18 year olds after you get beyond the top 30 to 40 players in any year.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

Our whole second round projects to be top six wingers, Cornel could even be a solid 2c.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL 1m

Tim Murray on signing Sam Reinhart right away: "Can I not enjoy this before I have to get pissed off?"

Your choice, Tim. Sounds like a pretty standard question to me.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
???

What, like, having a shutdown first line and letting your fourth line do your scoring? I don't understand this comment.

No..that your top 6 is comprised of skill first guys or that you can't have grinders in top 6. Like a Chris Neil.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I think Fabbri was the guy they may have been targeting which would be quite comical given who took him. Just basing it off him saying they tried to move up into the teens with 3 2nds with multiple teams and then later with two 2nds would lead me to believe the guy they wanted was picked early 20s. Then again he could have had multiple guys he was willing to trade up for.

Although now listening to the clip he specifically said "the player" he wanted to move up to get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad