2014 NHL Draft: Toronto Maple Leafs draft review

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Toronto Maple Leafs‘ director of amateur scouting, Dave Morrison, used the 2014 NHL Draft to select players with a strong competitive demeanor and good offensive upside.

Overall, the Leafs selected six players in the seven round draft, including five forwards and one defenseman. Unlike the previous two drafts which favored players from the CHL, this year’s selections were much more international in origin. They included three players from US hockey programs, two from Swedish hockey leagues, and a Russian who happened to play in the WHL last season. The Leafs did not have a second round pick, which they gave up in the Peter Holland trade with Anaheim.… read more

More...

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I think we had a VERY nice draft, with Nylander, Valiev and Engvall my favourite picks to come out of it. Our system got a much needed injection of talent, to go along with all the tougher guys we already had.

The one problem I had with our draft, is that we didn't pick a single Goalie, and I think we could really use another one.

But overall.......not much to complain about.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
I think we had a VERY nice draft, with Nylander, Valiev and Engvall my favourite picks to come out of it. Our system got a much needed injection of talent, to go along with all the tougher guys we already had.

The one problem I had with our draft, is that we didn't pick a single Goalie, and I think we could really use another one.

Signed Bibeau though, so we'll see.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Nylander goes without saying but after seeing prospect camp videos I'm really high on Vesey.

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com
Other than Nylander & Valiev, the other picks are ALL projects w/ either a year of high school &/or 4 years of NCAA before they even hit the AHL.

Keeps a steady pipeline of developed players percolating away but maybe one of them will surprise & make the jump to the pros even quicker.

I really like the Valiev pick. Be good to see the impact the new D have on our D prospects.

I mean be great to see a hard-nosed Eastern European D like Polak take Valiev under his wing.

Love that Valiev battered Canucks pick Viratenen into submission.

If he becomes a Yushkevich/Markov hybrid, I'll be happy! :naughty:

Pholus

May 23, 2014

Signed Bibeau though, so we'll see.

I would've liked to see them use a later round pick on a Euro or NCAA goalie (up to 4 yrs of development before they need to be signed). All 3 of our goalie prospects will be playing for the Marlies (or ECHL) this year, with none in CHL/NCAA/Europe.

That said, I don't think I would want to switch any of the guys that were drafted for the goalies that were available with those picks (at least, not at this point)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Usually teams that finish in the bottom 10 of the standings have more picks not less picks as the NHL awards 1 per round.

Toronto hasn't made the 7 minimum selection of their awarded picks in any of the past 3 drafts.

If you are trying to build up the prospect system through the draft process then the best way is to make picks and not trade picks.

The LA Kings won the Stanley Cup and made 10 picks in the 2014 draft and already have Leafs 2nd rounder in reserved for 2015.

How is a Cup winning team making more selections than a near draft lottery team?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I would've liked to see them use a later round pick on a Euro or NCAA goalie (up to 4 yrs of development before they need to be signed). All 3 of our goalie prospects will be playing for the Marlies (or ECHL) this year, with none in CHL/NCAA/Europe.

That said, I don't think I would want to switch any of the guys that were drafted for the goalies that were available with those picks (at least, not at this point)

No worries. There's lots of time to wait for another goaltender to come through the ranks. None of the guys on the Marlies are going anywhere. Ever

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
No worries. There's lots of time to wait for another goaltender to come through the ranks. None of the guys on the Marlies are going anywhere. Ever

When we were cruising this year towards a four seed or something similar I was a big fan of taking Demko around 20. We do need to get our hands on a good goaltending prospect next year or the year after.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
When we were cruising this year towards a four seed or something similar I was a big fan of taking Demko around 20. We do need to get our hands on a good goaltending prospect next year or the year after.

Sadly, we don't have a 2nd next year or there are two or three goaltenders worth taking

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Usually teams that finish in the bottom 10 of the standings have more picks not less picks as the NHL awards 1 per round.

Toronto hasn't made the 7 minimum selection of their awarded picks in any of the past 3 drafts.

If you are trying to build up the prospect system through the draft process then the best way is to make picks and not trade picks.

The LA Kings won the Stanley Cup and made 10 picks in the 2014 draft and already have Leafs 2nd rounder in reserved for 2015.

How is a Cup winning team making more selections than a near draft lottery team?

do you want to have a refund on bernier then?
like - I get the point you are making - and I agree with it, but sometimes you have to look at what the pick netted us.

Bolland = BAD
Bernier = GOOD

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Look no further than the GM.....should have jettisoned UFA's at the deadline....this team although in a playoff spot was not going anywhere....

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Dakota Joshua looks like he could be a really good pick. He looked real good at the prospect camp.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Very happy with Nylander, Valiev and Engvall picks. Vesey looked good from what I saw of the camp, and I've heard good things about Joshua. It's just John Pinocchio that I'm not really satisfied with so far, and that's mostly because he feels like an unknown for me still.

I'd say it's partially because a team in LAs situation can afford to send off valuable pieces that are developed but won't have a chance to go further, like Bernier. That's what all the smart top teams do now, they pay their core a ton and then have a supporting group around them. As soon as one player doesn't fit, wants more money or gets into a logjam, they sell them off for picks that can give them longevity. They'll keep doing that until the core declines and need help.

Meanwhile teams like Toronto are searching for these pieces that are being sent off, like Bernier, and need to pay up for them.

On a general note, and not just looking at the trading deadline, I have a feeling that most of the buyers are actually middle-of-the-ground teams. The teams that are worse are rebuilding through the draft, the teams that are better have fewer holes they need to fill.

Last edited:

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
do you want to have a refund on bernier then?
like - I get the point you are making - and I agree with it, but sometimes you have to look at what the pick netted us.

Bolland = BAD
Bernier = GOOD

There seems to be a lot more bad than good when the Leafs trade picks.

Losing our 3rd highest draft selection to make a lateral move at best on D comes to mind.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd say it's partially because a team in LAs situation can afford to send off valuable pieces that are developed but won't have a chance to go further, like Bernier. That's what all the smart top teams do now, they pay their core a ton and then have a supporting group around them. As soon as one player doesn't fit, wants more money or gets into a logjam, they sell them off for picks that can give them longevity. They'll keep doing that until the core declines and need help.

Meanwhile teams like Toronto are searching for these pieces that are being sent off, like Bernier, and need to pay up for them.

So Stanley Cup teams are in a better position than draft lottery teams because not only do they draft more to rebuild their prospect pool they create a situation where they have a never ending supply of future talent available because the weaker teams keep providing them with more and more picks constantly.

Seems our Leafs are in a tough spot then constantly having to rely on other teams to do their drafting and developing for them as Leafs have less picks and less assets to work with.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
So Stanley Cup teams are in a better position than draft lottery teams because not only do they draft more to rebuild their prospect pool they create a situation where they have a never ending supply of future talent available because the weaker teams keep providing them with more and more picks constantly.

Seems our Leafs are in a tough spot then constantly having to rely on other teams to do their drafting and developing for them as Leafs have less picks and less assets to work with.

Won't even begin to talk about the Gunnarsson and Frattin trades. Here....have our draft picks!! Having said that, I think the Leafs did well in targeting late-blooming, decent upside picks in the later rounds.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Won't even begin to talk about the Gunnarsson and Frattin trades. Here....have our draft picks!! Having said that, I think the Leafs did well in targeting late-blooming, decent upside picks in the later rounds.

They seem to have tried something new here.

Drafting Euro and College kids gives you 4 years to sign them while holding their rights.

Drafting CHL kids only gives you 2 years.

Seems Leafs based on this draft decided to take the extra years for evaluating their own picks hoping they develop into something over the extended time.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
They seem to have tried something new here.

Drafting Euro and College kids gives you 4 years to sign them while holding their rights.

Drafting CHL kids only gives you 2 years.

Seems Leafs based on this draft decided to take the extra years for evaluating their own picks hoping they develop into something over the extended time.

The Leafs have had more success when they have drafted this way. They have not fared well from any recent drafts taking CHL players beyond the top-10 in the first round. The strategy to go for projection and long-term development in the later rounds has paid off rather well in the last 8 or so years.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

LOL. Such a negative slant. So unlike you.

In the last 5 years, LA has drafted 34 times. Toronto has drafted 33 times.

wow.

:)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Pretty much. I won't say that I've researched this properly but it's at least the feeling I've got.

I'd like to say that while Toronto is a draft lottery team, they more behave like a middle of the pack team. Most of the lottery teams are investing in the draft, most middle of the pack-teams are giving away assets to get over the last step towards being a contender, and most contenders have the pieces they need and can keep a slight squad rotation and be a seller during off-season, and a buyer at deadline.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
i agree, but we are now on the right track. if the players pan out, then the core in several years is:

Nylander, JVR, Rielly, Kadri, Gardiner.

kessel will still be around as well and secondary pieces of:

granberg, nilsson, percy, finn, loov, broll, leivo, komorov, holland
gauthier

it won't be too bad. we'll still need several more offensive pieces.

maybe 1 or 2 of the following might emerge for top 6:

toninato, johnson, verhaeghe, brown, vesey, engvall, piccinich,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad