2014 NHL Draft: San Jose Sharks draft review

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

Coming into the 2014 NHL Draft in Philadelphia, General Manager Doug Wilson and the San Jose Sharks were making substantial noise and looked to be on the precipice of a big change, a monumental rebuild of sorts that would alter the culture and look of the Sharks for years to come. Instead of a loud boom, in typical Sharks fashion, the 2014 draft quietly ushered in a new age for the San Jose organization.

By all accounts, the Sharks had a very strong draft. The team selected eight players total, including three European born players in the first two rounds.… read more

More...

Last edited by a moderator:

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Oh god the Goldobin write up sounded like Don Cherry wrote it.

whlscowt

Oh god the Goldobin write up sounded like Don Cherry wrote it.
hockey.jpg

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
Alexis Vanier, D, Baie-Comeau Drakkar (QMJHL)
4th round, 102nd overall
Height: 6-5 Weight: 225

Alexis Vanier is a beast. He was one of the heaviest players in the draft, and at 6’5’’ and 225 pounds, it is hard to believe but the 18-year-old man-child is still growing, and projects to be even bigger, and even stronger. Not particularly fleet of foot, Vanier uses his brute force to bully opposition, and clear pathways in front of his own net.

Playing with an injury for half of the year really hampered his play, but Vanier showed an above average ability to score, and used his big booming shot very effectively on the power play. The teammate of fellow Sharks prospect, Gabryel Boudreau, Vanier projects to be a fifth or sixth defenseman, with power play potential if his shot can continue to improve.

Sharks fans might be apprehensive about the comparison, but Vanier looks like a younger, offensively charged Nick Petrecki. Like with Petrecki, Vanier is going to have to prove that he has the hockey sense to go along with his impressive skillset, as that has been one of the knocks on the young man. He also has to tirelessly work on his skating, because it is below average, and at a higher level, he will not be able to keep up no matter how big he gets.

Please god not another Petrecki! Who's the best skating trainer in the league.. Roberts? Send him there asap!

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
As usual there's some thing in those reports that I just don't agree with, the major one is your opinion on Goldobin's defense. There is no question it needs some work but I don't think his skating is an issue at all, effort could be.

It's pretty well know how much I dislike player comparisons but because you referenced Garbutt when talking about Rod I thought I'd make an exception. I've watched him just a bit and asked around and the one player I keep coming back to with him is Antoine Roussel.

In this draft the Sharks went (pretty far) off the board with both of their 2nds and managed to get players that were ranked quite a bit higher with their later 3rd, 4th and 5th. All around a great draft for SJ.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
As usual there's some thing in those reports that I just don't agree with, the major one is your opinion on Goldobin's defense. There is no question it needs some work but I don't think his skating is an issue at all, effort could be.

It's pretty well know how much I dislike player comparisons but because you referenced Garbutt when talking about Rod I thought I'd make an exception. I've watched him just a bit and asked around and the one player I keep coming back to with him is Antoine Roussel.

In this draft the Sharks went (pretty far) off the board with both of their 2nds and managed to get players that were ranked quite a bit higher with their later 3rd, 4th and 5th. All around a great draft for SJ.

I agree with that last quote. I am very pleased with the draft they had. Nothing sexy but solid players with some good upside that seems to have been overlooked with players such as Sadowy and Chartier.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I've also heard the Roussel/Rod comparison. Roussel is probably the best agitator in the league and scores a bit too. I hate when the Sharks play him. If Rod becomes that type of player, he brings a ton of value. I don't like the Vanier comparison either. If I had to compare him to anyone it would be Sheldon Souray. Similar body types and skill sets. Of course just my opinion and comparisons are usually far off.

whlscowt

1. Well I did say, "Some of it has to do with his skating, an area that many Sharks prospects struggle with, but most of it has to do with effort". Now on the skating front, I spoke to 3 professional scouts about him--and skating came up every time. From the games I've seen, including live at the top prospects game, I gotta agree there. He loses a lot of edges, and looks a bit slow out there even on breakaways. I don't think it's a huge issue, but I do think it's something he struggles with and part of the reason he fell that far into the draft with his kind of offensive skills.

2. I thought the same thing at first haha! No joke! However, another man I spoke with over email from Switzerland, specifically said he reminded him of Ryan Garbutt the way he crashed the net and got into players heads. One thing I think makes him his own player is, Rod doesn't have a super mean demeanor, and the stuff he says on the ice is pretty PG (Burish was like that too)--I've heard Roussel and he can sure swear and say some stuff lol. At the end of the day though, they play on the same line, and do a lot of the same stuff. I think the Sharks would be happy if Rod played anything like either of them. :)

3. Yeah I agree, I think they did a great job. I wasn't that happy with the Schoenborn pick, but everything else, I was pretty much on board with.

My "Fun facts" got cut from the article, so here's a few pretty pointless facts.

Oldies: The team selected 5 late born (1995) players.
Spreading the Wings: 5 wings were selected in the draft--shoring up an organizational need.
Multinational: There were 5 countries represented in the picks (Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, United States, and Canada).
What a coincidence: Kevin Labanc and Alex Schoenborn were born on the exact same day, December 12th 1995. (Dylan Sadowy and Rourke Chartier were born one day apart from one another too!)

^ The birthday thing was the only interesting thing haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad