2014 NHL Draft: Nashville Predators draft review

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Nashville Predators went into the draft looking to address their well-chronicled need for scoring help and general manager David Poile felt things fell just the way they were hoping they would go. 

Nashville selected Kevin Fiala — who skated for HV71 in the SHL as a 17-year-old and played for Switzerland in the U18, U20, and Men’s World Championships — with the 11th overall pick and then grabbed Russia U18 team captain Vladislav Kamenev with the first of their two second-round picks (42nd overall). The Predators took Wisconsin-bound US National Team Development Program defenseman Jack Dougherty with their other second-round pick (51st overall). 

"Our philosophy of the draft we said that in the high part of our draft with our first pick and our two seconds we'd try to take what we considered the best offensive forwards," Poile said.… read more

More...

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
As an outsider....that was an absolutely stunning draft. Really, really impressed with what the Preds did. After the top 10 went as projected, they got the player with the greatest ceiling. I really like the second and third rounders as well. Wonderful drafting.

Now they really need to get that stud center.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I'm pretty surprised how much Poile knew about his drafted players, often a GM will just draft players based on scouts recommendation without having a clue who they are.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
While it's obviously way too early to tell, I'm loving what I'm reading about these guys. Hopefully a few of them pan out and reach their potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad