2014 NHL Draft: Edmonton Oilers draft review

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

As the Edmonton Oilers continue to rebuild their hockey club under the leadership of General Manager Craig MacTavish, their pool of draft selections for 2014 suffered some losses in a number of mid-season deals.

Fortunately, several promising pieces were added to the puzzle in return, such as goaltender Ben Scrivens, who was acquired from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for a third-round selection and David Perron, who was part of the Magnus Paajarvi trade that also sent a second-round selection to St. Louis.

Although the Oilers still retained their coveted third-overall 2014 selection, the previously mentioned acquisitions left the Oilers with no draft selection after the first round until early in the fourth round.… read more

More...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Draisaitl, Lagesson, Nagelvoort, and Vesel were all good picks. Bouchard is underwhelming but it's a 7th rounder - if they play an AHL game you're ahead there. The only truly weird pick as Coughlin - especially with some of the players still available.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
^ You must have a crystal ball because otherwise you can't possibly know this. Why aren't you a scout?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I still don't get why we didn't take Kulda in the final round. Maybe they thought he'd pass through and they'd have the best chance at signing him as an undrafted UFA.

That said, I've read most of the other team's draft reviews, and we definitely aren't the only ones to take a bunch of overagers in this draft. This draft was weak for depth, and it really started to show after the first 100 or so picks. I guess the strong 2013 draft factors in as well - guys who couldn't get their name called that year and had decent development were good enough for rounds 4-7 this year.

One prediction, we won't see anything close to that next year. Maybe 2 or 3.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I still don't get why we didn't take Kulda in the final round. Maybe they thought he'd pass through and they'd have the best chance at signing him as an undrafted UFA.

That said, I've read most of the other team's draft reviews, and we definitely aren't the only ones to take a bunch of overagers in this draft. This draft was weak for depth, and it really started to show after the first 100 or so picks. I guess the strong 2013 draft factors in as well - guys who couldn't get their name called that year and had decent development were good enough for rounds 4-7 this year.

One prediction, we won't see anything close to that next year. Maybe 2 or 3.

Do you mean 2 or 3 overagers for the Oilers?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Do you mean 2 or 3 overagers for the Oilers?

Sorry, meant entire draft. At least I hope not. If we're picking 2-3 overagers in a stacked draft like next year, then it's officially time to exile Stu to Kazakstan.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
^ You must have a crystal ball because otherwise you can't possibly know this. Why aren't you a scout?

How dare I have an opinion on a message board hey? I'm basically Genghis Hitler. I think all the picks above were at very least decent except Coughlin and Bouchard. If you think differently maybe contribute, unless you count your crap above contributing.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Should have picked at least one Oil King instead of two goalies.

they should have taken a chance on Kulda instead of Bouchard in the 7th and goalie Ville Husso was sitting there when the Oilers took a player they really don't need in left shooting d-man Lagesson at the top of the 4th. I would have liked to see a little less gamble picks when this team is so bad and is still in the process of building up their developmental system. I realize than some say they are all gambles in the later rounds, but some are less so than others. (hence the reason for actually having scouting systems like ISS or CSS put out player rankings). didn't like at all the Liam Coughlin pick like I hated the Evan Campbell pick from last year. I would be extremely surprised to see either of them ever play a game here.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
they should have taken a chance on Kulda instead of Bouchard in the 7th and goalie Ville Husso was sitting there when the Oilers took a player they really don't need in left shooting d-man Lagesson at the top of the 4th. I would have liked to see a little less gamble picks when this team is so bad and is still in the process of building up their developmental system. I realize than some say they are all gambles in the later rounds, but some are less so than others. (hence the reason for actually having scouting systems like ISS or CSS put out player rankings). didn't like at all the Liam Coughlin pick like I hated the Evan Campbell pick from last year. I would be extremely surprised to see either of them ever play a game here.

I really hate their logic in picking players in the latter rounds. The year before they did better by picking a lot of Europeans like Russians who clearly had talent. That is a better gamble IMO.

They don't follow consensus in the latter rounds which is mystifying to me.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
I've seen Bouchard play a little, and will see more of him this year. IMO, he's a solid buy-low pick. He was highly touted coming out of Midget, but didn't play much because of the guys ahead of him. He'll play a lot more this season, as it appears the only guy ahead of him is Bibeau, and he'll turn pro. If he's a number one on a mid-pack QMJHL team for the next 2 years, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he'll earn himself a pro contract.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Sorry, meant entire draft. At least I hope not. If we're picking 2-3 overagers in a stacked draft like next year, then it's officially time to exile Stu to Kazakstan.
I imagine next year will still be like every other draft. A few overagers in rounds two and three, and then a ton in later rounds. Next year is deep, but I'm not sure it will significantly affect the number of overagers taken.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Oilers like to squander picks in the late rounds. That's been their history.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Oilers like to squander picks in the late rounds. That's been their history.

All late round picks are longshots. Every team has far more late rounders who do nothing than late rounders who become even fring NHLers. Not sure what you expect, but it's probably unrealistic.

^i think he means too many long shot picks, like i do. and yes, they are all long shots by the 3rd or 4th round or there abouts on, but some players playing in the CHL and are productive at 17 *may* have a better shot at the NHL than an 18 to 20 year old playing in some obscure league somewhere where he may be dominant there, but not as likely perhaps to be dominant in a higher league? i don't think that bottom feeders like the Oilers should be gambling so much with their mid round and lower picks as much as they have been. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad