2014 NHL Draft: Detroit Red Wings draft review

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

If it was not already clear what position the Detroit Red Wings felt needed to be addressed in their organization it certainly became so after the 2014 NHL Draft. Detroit used six of their seven picks on sizable centers.

The only player Detroit picked who does not play in the middle was goaltender Chase Perry of the NAHL. In selecting a goaltender Detroit followed their pattern of replenishing the pipeline by selecting a netminder every other year.

Detroit’s run on centers is an unprecedented draft strategy for them but certainly addresses an organizational weakness. Trading Calle Jarnkrok to Nashville and seeing Riley Sheahan and Joakim Andersson earn NHL roles left Detroit without much depth at the lower ranks of the organization.… read more

More...

Brandel*

high praise for kadeykin, anyone know if he'll still be playing on the 3rd line again next season?

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Kadeykin leading a KHL team in points at 20 playing as a 3C? Wow. I know the team isn't great, but that's impressive.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I think they really reached for centers and it shows with the lack of talent it appears Detroit got out of this draft, guess we'll have to wait and see, but especially Turgeon and Ehn seem like reaches.

Interesting 7th round picks though.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I think they really reached for centers and it shows with the lack of talent it appears Detroit got out of this draft, guess we'll have to wait and see, but especially Turgeon and Ehn seem like reaches.

Interesting 7th round picks though.

I think we really only reached on Turgeon and Ehn also but we picked up some pretty good guys in this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad