2014 NHL Draft: Dallas Stars draft review

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

With nine selections in hand, the Dallas Stars went to work and did not step too far out of their comfort zone. An organizational need was addressed in the first round, and nearly every subsequent round after, as the Stars selected seven defensemen, one goaltender and one forward.

The talent level ranges from potential top pairing to potential ruffian, but the Stars’ simple approach of “BPA†was featured indiscriminately.

With the high amount of major junior prospects selected, Jim Nill and his staff will be under the gun to quickly determine who will be an asset to the organization and who will not be retained two years from now.… read more

More...

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
The talent level ranges from potential top pairing to potential ruffian, but the Stars’ simple approach of “BPA” was featured indiscriminately.
I don't understand how a team ending up with an overwhelming amount of picks that address a current need can be taken as evidence of a BPA strategy.

I do appreciate the summaries of each player Mike.

That Peters pick... mehhh. We'll see.

Last edited:

MetalGodAOD*

Peters definitely seems like a longshot for a third rounder, drafted solely for his size. Oh well.

I really have trouble separating all these new D-men from each other.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
They can pretty much be thrown into 2 groups...

Honka/Prapavessis/Nyberg

Peters/Karjalainen/Haydon/Sanvido

Guess which one I'm excited about...

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Which group, not player.

Also, a thing I don't like is auto-comparing any defensive D to Nemeth. I can't remember people knocking Nemeth's passing or hockey IQ during the run up to his draft. Limited offensive upside, yes, but it's not like he ever totally ignored that part of the game either.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Peters definitely seems like a longshot for a third rounder, drafted solely for his size. Oh well.

I really have trouble separating all these new D-men from each other.

What in the world makes you think Peters was taken just for his size? The guy is big yeah, but he is also mobile and good defensively. He also doesnt strike me as any sort of a longshot for a third rounder.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
For fans of an organization that has had a difficult time getting defensemen who can actually defend many around here sure don't seem to appreciate drafting defensive minded dmen.

MetalGodAOD*

The scouting report here didn't give his puck skills or defending much praise. I went back and read some of BigG's quotes and they were much more favorable. Shrug.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I don't understand how a team ending up with an overwhelming amount of picks that address a current need can be taken as evidence of a BPA strategy.

I do appreciate the summaries of each player Mike.

That Peters pick... mehhh. We'll see.

- That's the word from the organization. Basically shrugging and laughing incredulously and saying, "I swear we're not doing this on purpose!" Point is well taken though, I didn't even really think about it when typing to be honest.

- I was very fortunate to be able to go over lots of game footage and not depend on others (though, I like to try to take in the opinion of people that I trust who follow these leagues closer than I do, of course) for information. That's the reason why the article is one of the last ones up. I spent a good amount of hours in the film room on these guys. Sans the Swede and the other Finn...I'm coming back here with information on them when those countries return from vacation. Getting info out of my sources in Sweden and Finland at this time of year reminds me of the scene in My Cousin Vinny when he's explaining why he's wearing that ridiculous maroon suit...

"This town doesn't have a one hour cleaner so I had to buy a new suit, except the only store you could buy a new suit in has got the flu. Got that? The whole store got the flu...."

Just no one is around...

- My thoughts exactly. I see a lot of second-hand sources speak highly of his decision-making and hockey sense. I think that's a little bit of "whisper down the lane" or something. As noted, I'm surprised that's considered a strength for him.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
- That's the word from the organization. Basically shrugging and laughing incredulously and saying, "I swear we're not doing this on purpose!" Point is well taken though, I didn't even really think about it when typing to be honest.

This was my assumption so I'm glad you got confirmation from the organization.

On a side note, I ran into Prapavessis' father having a beer the weekend of the development camp. Seemed like a nice guy and was happy to talk hockey with a local. Now rooting for his kid just a little more. He mentioned that London holds his rights and were trying really hard to get him to go the OHL route rather than college.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Would be cool. Isn't Elie there too?

We've got Elie's brother. ;)

If Prapevassis is willing to come to London, he would have a place. Unfortunately for the Knights Zach Werneski just committed to the University of Michigan so we could really use someone like him going forward.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
At least in interviews, he and Dallas have both sounded like 4 years of college is exactly what he needed.

Doing me draft research on him though, I always thought it was strange that I stumbled on to some quotes about him being disappointed he was drafted so low (OHL Draft) watching friends go, and then he was happy he finally got picked.

If you're 100% committed to college ... why care? Maybe there is some wiggle room for him.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
At least in interviews, he and Dallas have both sounded like 4 years of college is exactly what he needed.

Doing me draft research on him though, I always thought it was strange that I stumbled on to some quotes about him being disappointed he was drafted so low (OHL Draft) watching friends go, and then he was happy he finally got picked.

If you're 100% committed to college ... why care? Maybe there is some wiggle room for him.

Probably a competitive kid, little ego bruising involved. Not in a bad way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad