2014 NHL Draft: Colorado Avalanche draft review

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

After the Avalanche’s 2014 postseason run came to an end, head coach Patrick Roy and executive VP of hockey operations Joe Sakic got right to work molding their team’s prospect pool to their likings.

The duo kicked things off by signing five free agent players to entry-level contracts from various European and CHL leagues. The players signed exhibited similar qualities of possessing size, skills, and character both on and off the ice. They continued that trend with their selections in the 2014 NHL Draft.

Red Deer Rebels captain and centerman, Conner Bleackley, headlines this draft class for the Avalanche and embodies everything that the team wants in a player.… read more

More...

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
It was interesting to see how Roy/Sakic so significantly altered the strategy (size mainly) versus the recent past.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
And yet Barrie is looking to have a major roll at 5-10'' while Eliot T 6-1'' looks to be trade bait.
Looking at roster as listed, who is going away on the list of D men?
I looked today and there are ten.... Plus the potentials

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
And yet Barrie is looking to have a major roll at 5-10'' while Eliot T 6-1'' looks to be trade bait.

There are 10, so 2 of Wilson, Noreau, Guenin and Elliott are gonzo (trade or to minors).
Roy will likely keep 8D on the roster, so Cliche will be down in the minors as well.

Also, I'm really interested seeing how Pepin will develop. Hopefully he can shed some weight, cause what I've read he has good skills.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
There are 10, so 2 of Wilson, Noreau, Guenin and Elliott are gonzo (trade or to minors).
Roy will likely keep 8D on the roster, so Cliche will be down in the minors as well.

Also, I'm really interested seeing how Pepin will develop. Hopefully he can shed some weight, cause what I've read he has good skills.

Aside from Bleakley I like Magyar the best out of our draft picks.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Aside from Bleakley I like Magyar the best out of our draft picks.

I have to agree. Magyar looks poised to have a really good season this year. For whatever reason a lot of our picks (Magyar, Wood, Nantel) were only in their first CHL season so there is a lot of potential there for them to grow in their second seasons.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009

Plus there are already at least 6D (Siemens, Stollery, Baupre, Corbett, Gervais, Lauridsen) in Lake Erie.

I doubt any of those go to the Cutthroats. Maybe Roy is hoping to have the same model in Cleveland w 8 on the back end but 2 would need two make it through waivers.

Been an Avs fan since the beginning and can't remember them ever having this many extra before a season started.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Elliott might be taller, but he is about the same weight and plays like he is the smallest guy on the ice.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Wood is going to really surprise a bunch of people. There is a significant amount of risk to the pick, but the kid has a bunch of talent.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
And Wood has played what a grand total of 40 CHL games including playoffs, he has barely shown what he can do. Something about him really impressed the scouts, which is why they went a bit off board to get him. I'm intrigued for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad