2014 NHL Draft - 4 P.M. PST part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Jason Botchford ‏@botchford 1m

Benning: never considered a Russian "want to get this team to a meat and potato style"

:laugh: Yeah, I'm done here. Has he even seen Barbashev play? Way closer to NA style than McCann.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Dear god.. I thought they just said a few weeks ago that they wanted up-tempo offensive hockey.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Benning is straight up dumb. Go back to boston, I have seen enough.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Meat and potato.

Guess we are going to draft nothing but big goon two way players. We are gonna be a terrible version of the bruins.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
benning is clearly a mole sent by the bruins to make this team even more mediocre for as long as he can

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
So with Horvat + Shinkaruk and Virtanen + McCann, I think it's safe to say Canucks have stocked their cupboard. Virtanen has the potential to be a gamebreaker with his tools but achieving it is what's the difficult part.

If he was born 30 days later, he would be in consideration for a top 5 pick in 2015 with his 45 goal season and his elite skating. Next year, could be his draft year if he was born in September rather than August.. Also considering he 6'1, 210lbs at 17 years old, he's a mutant. He can top out at 220 in his adulthood.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Where are the players when he was with Buffalo Sabres.....he did draft some skill player during that time.....Pomville, Roy, afinogenov

just22

Aug 2, 2009
Because drafting a skilled Russian wouldn't get people excited... Lets draft a bunch of 3rd liners instead.

Although, did Benning actually say "never considered a Russian" or is that Botchford just inferring when JB said meat and potato style...

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
At least Gillis ranked Burmistrov high on his list. Maybe he wasn't willing to draft them but he at least ranked them. Benning apparently doesn't even watch them play, judging by his comments.

What bugs me even more is that I wouldn't be surprised if this ideology extended to all European players up for consideration. Probably a big reason why we passed on Nylander/Ehlers.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Really makes me wonder how gillis would have retooled this team.

He said he did not want to go the big size type style and fast moving puck possession style.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Could be worse than the Kopitar draft.

I have no idea where they plan to get offense.

They don't. This team is going to try to win the 1-0 2-1 games in a few years with a bunch of big players with zero speed and pure power. Minus Virtanen.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Geez,I just saw that McCann's NHL comparison is David Legwand...great...this is gonna be another Horvat vs Nichushkin debate only Barbashev is clearly the better player right out of the gate and and McCann is already redundant in our system...

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Well the Canucks pretty much ruined today for me. So there's that.
Teach me to get my hopes up

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Isn't Benning rumoured to be a big fan of Koklachev in the Bruins system. I'm going to assume this is a smokescreen to mask his desire for Barbashev with the 36. It's blatant wishful thinking, but it will help me sleep better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce