OT: 2014 NFL/NCAA Discussion Thread I: Crappy Stephen Hill released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
With the draft coming, I figure we need a new thread. The first for the 2014 NFL season.

Is anyone else as frustrated as I am with moving the draft back? It seems like a horrible idea and has made for some ridiculous overanalysis of players.

I think that that the draft guys must be going a bit nuts as well.

Usually more time for analysis is a good thing. I don't think that's the case here, though.

So, what are your mocks looking like? Who do you think the Giants and the Jets should draft?

Current Giants mock:

1) Taylor Lewan, OT
2) Troy Niklas, TE
3) Dominique Easley, DE/DT
4) Lache Seastrunk/Charles Sims, RB
5) Will Clarke, DE/DT
5) Gabe Ikard, C
6) Khairi Fortt, LB

Last edited:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I am 100% on board with Lewan to the Gmen.

Assuming Evans & Jake Matthews don't miraculously fall:

1. Lewan
2. Donald
3. Ebron
4. Barr
5. Clinton-Dix

Other players I like, but not at 12: Kelvin Benjamin, RaShede Hageman, Calvin Pryor

BarbaraAlphanse

I'd love for the Jets to draft KPL. Became friendly with him over the past year and a half. Jets were a team that was interested in him. Underrated player that could become an every down LB if he's coached properly.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I am 100% on board with Lewan to the Gmen.

Assuming Evans & Jake Matthews don't miraculously fall:

1. Lewan
2. Donald
3. Ebron
4. Barr
5. Clinton-Dix

Other players I like, but not at 12: Kelvin Benjamin, RaShede Hageman, Calvin Pryor

I think Benjamin is going to be bust city.

Big fan of Pryor, though.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
I do not want a TE in the first round. Re: Ebron If he was an all around one, okay, but he's not. Kid sounds like Jeremy Shockey. Pass..

If I'm the Giants, I'm taking Donald, a WR or OT.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I do not want a TE in the first round. Re: Ebron If he was an all around one, okay, but he's not. Kid sounds like Jeremy Shockey. Pass..

If I'm the Giants, I'm taking Donald, a WR or OT.

Speaking bout the Jets, concur, pretty much in any round no big TE investment this yr.
Kellen Winslow 2.0 + scrub/project is ok.

IMO,
Need our pix for
1 improving the OL/pass protection
2 improving DBs, pref w/ taller CBs who have enuf speed for coverage
3 other D needs esp. at LB

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Speaking bout the Jets, concur, pretty much in any round no big TE investment this yr.
Kellen Winslow 2.0 + scrub/project is ok.

IMO,
Need our pix for
1 improving the OL/pass protection
2 improving DBs, pref w/ taller CBs who have enuf speed for coverage
3 other D needs esp. at LB

We have no need for DBs unless it's a safety.

NYRPat21

Jan 1, 2010
Ridge, New York
One of the 3 OTs, Donald, Evans, or Ebron. I heard rumors that they might take Martin from ND. Kiper has the Giants taking Donald, while McShay has them taking Odell Beckham, pretty off the wall. They both have the Jets taking Cooks.

Last edited:

BarbaraAlphanse

For some reason, a lot of analysts are starting to predict that the Jets select Dennard or Roby.

Smokescreens? Actual interest? Wonder what they do in 1 week.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Reese talking about character issues in the early rounds.

http://t.co/dhNYxrgMVg

Pretty interesting. They have recently changed their philosophy of completely removing guys from their board, but he is still saying they want as clean a prospect as possible.

Im still of the opinion they need a center more than any other OL position.

BarbaraAlphanse

Roby would be a pretty horrendous pick at your spot. Dennard would be solid.

I assume it's just more over-analysis of the draft, though.

I'm interested in who you think the Jets will pick, not necessarily who is the best fit.

I really think that they go with value guys over hyped guys. Milliner at 9, Richardson would have been a top 5 pick if he had stayed his senior year (most likely) - they got him at 13. Geno was projected to go top 5 too, at various points throughout the season, and they took him in the mid 2nd.

I've also heard that Roby would be a bad choice there, but a lot of analysts recently have him as the Jets pick (Dennard being taken before them, obviously).

I don't think that Rex will want to take another CB in the first round. I think we got Patterson, and if need be, Wilson should be able to fill in and potentially provide average covering abilities too. Wilson did not commit 1 penalty all season, before or after that dreadful 4 penalty Bills game.

I think that they will pick Marquise Lee. ODB and Cooks have never been talked about in a top 5 light. Lee would have been a top 10 pick if he declared for the draft just a year ago. Value over hype.

And to be honest, I think he could project to be a great NFL WR. Great hands, speed, and route running.

BarbaraAlphanse

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT

BarbaraAlphanse

Oy at forming opinions of players only going by what someone says when there are thousands of hours of youtube videos for almost every player.

I watched a lot of game tape on him this year. BC played USC early on in the season and since we had started to a 2-0 start and USC had just been radically upset, I was very hopeful we might match up. Lee was one of the guys I watched a lot of videos on to see the type of impact he could have on the game.

I came up with that he was a game breaker that may be contained due to an inexperienced QB not being able to connect with him that well. Lee killed our secondary and I believe scored 2-3 td's that game.

NYRPat21

Jan 1, 2010
Ridge, New York
Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 12: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn (A)
Round 2 Pick 11: Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech (A)
Round 3 Pick 10: Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State (B+)
Round 4 Pick 13: Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia (A)
Round 5 Pick 12: Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers (A)
Round 5 Pick 34 (COMP): Devon Kennard, OLB, Southern California (B)

I did this with the Giants, don't think it was very realistic as all three of the OTs were available along with Evans and Donald.

Staxgod90

New Season New Dream
May 31, 2011
Westchester,NY
Hoping the Jets get one of Beckham or Dennard in the first round. Bucannon and Robinson could be two potential 2nd rounders they might be looking at as well.
I feel what the Rams,Jaguars, and Browns do dictates the rest of the draft.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Might be watching the 2nd and 3rd rounds Friday instead of game 5. I know that's a lie, but just so disgusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad