2014 MLB Season Thread

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I have to think that series ends differently if Machado and Davis were there for Baltimore. That was kind of a watered down Orioles team, which tells you how bad the Tigers were.

Kudos to KC though. Unreal run. Still haven't lost

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The only thing that sucks is they're going to have 943 days off now before the World Series and probably lose their edge a la the Rockies a few years back. But still a great run regardless.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I almost forgot baseball was still going on, it's just too long a wait between the LCS's and the World Series, especially going through a football weekend.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't remember ever thinking a one-run game was over the way I have since Bumgartner's first inning tonight. Maybe Rivera in his prime though even he had the 'occasional' postseason hiccup. I'm too young to have seen Koufax or Gibson but this has to be what watching them in a big game was like, the Royals aren't even getting the ball out of the infield.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Given there were two outs I would have said **** it and sent Gordon home anyway as low percentage as it was, that was the Royals' only chance to score - especially with how panicky the Giants were on that play. Make them make the play in the field instead of having to try to get another hit of Bumgartner.

And not for nothing but as much as I hated the super quick hooks for both starters, in hindsight the game was probably decided cause Bochy had an even quicker trigger finger than Yost (Guthrie gave up three runs, Hudson two and neither bullpen anything).

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Given there were two outs I would have said **** it and sent Gordon home anyway as low percentage as it was, that was the Royals' only chance to score - especially with how panicky the Giants were on that play. Make them make the play in the field instead of having to try to get another hit of Bumgartner.

Running past a stop sign at 3rd base worked in A League of Their Own! Gordon would have been toast but that would have been one of the greatest finishes ever. Or maybe if Salvador Perez had pulled a Jake Taylor and bunted for a hit.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Running past a stop sign at 3rd base worked in A League of Their Own! Gordon would have been toast but that would have been one of the greatest finishes ever. Or maybe if Salvador Perez had pulled a Jake Taylor and bunted for a hit.

Imagine if the game, series, and Royals season ended with Gordon getting tossed at the plate? Terrible and that 3B coach would have been exiled

Would have been a ridiculous call to send him home even without taking his lack of speed into account and without taking the fact into account that he wasn't even touching third yet when the SS was turning to throw where he needed to

Further you have a guy hitting .350 in the series coming up next

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Imagine if the game, series, and Royals season ended with Gordon getting tossed at the plate? Terrible and that 3B coach would have been exiled

Would have been a ridiculous call to send him home even without taking his lack of speed into account and without taking the fact into account that he wasn't even touching third yet when the SS was turning to throw where he needed to

I totally agree with you, but it still would have been an awesome finish.....well, aside from the part where Gordon probably would have been only halfway home by the time the relay throw got to Posey.

I'm happy for my friends who cheered on the Giants through their lean years, but I hate seeing the bandwagon fans suddenly pop up. Especially a lot of my high school friends that went up there for college who openly hated sports. Then something in the last five years seemed to change their attitude.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I totally agree with you, but it still would have been an awesome finish.....well, aside from the part where Gordon probably would have been only halfway home by the time the relay throw got to Posey.

I'm happy for my friends who cheered on the Giants through their lean years, but I hate seeing the bandwagon fans suddenly pop up. Especially a lot of my high school friends that went up there for college who openly hated sports. Then something in the last five years seemed to change their attitude.

It would have been nice to see the Royals win because their organization and fanbase has endured a lot of waiting for this and they were 1 run from taking the game and their chances further, but it is also nice to see the Giants win again because they've got a nice half decade run going recently

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Not the best video but FF to about :45-55, the shortstop or whoever it was was way in the outfield and had his back turned still by the time Gordon got to third and didn't have possession of the ball cause the outfielder's throw was shorthopped. He would have needed a perfect throw from way out. Remember the Sid Bream play from way back in the '91 NLCS or whenever it was? Bonds didn't make the perfect throw and that's the only reason Bream scored.

And Perez may have been hitting .350 for the series but he was clearly on one leg in that game. And nobody was hitting Bumgartner at all in the entire series.

Last edited:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

Not the best video but FF to about :45-55, the shortstop or whoever it was was way in the outfield and had his back turned still by the time Gordon got to third and didn't have possession of the ball cause the outfielder's throw was shorthopped. He would have needed a perfect throw from way out. Remember the Sid Bream play from way back in the '91 NLCS or whenever it was? Bonds didn't make the perfect throw and that's the only reason Bream scored.

And Perez may have been hitting .350 for the series but he was clearly on one leg in that game. And nobody was hitting Bumgartner at all in the entire series.

Gordon barely at the base when their SS was turned and ready to throw

alex-gordon-inside-the-park.jpg

Plus that SS made a hell of a throw earlier in the game to the plate from the OF that made Butler scoring a lot closer than it should have been; http://m.mlb.com/video/v36877605

How can you say Gordon has shot at scoring there, a huge gamble, yet you rule out anybody hitting Bumgarner when Alex Gordon, who was hitting .180 in the series, drilled that ball off of him, a far, far, far smaller gamble and far more of a likelihood of happening than a gassed Gordon not even at third base when the cutoff man has the ball, scoring?

You don't throw your season and chance to extend the game away just to take a gamble with a guy who is slow as it is and near to being out of gas. It's that simple - it would be like having a goalie in game 7 of the cup finals, up by a goal, trying to shoot the puck down to score on an empty net

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He was slowing down going into third cause he got the stop sign and that angle makes Crawford look like he's a lot closer to the infield than it looked like he was watching live or the video.

I'm not saying you're neccesarily wrong about it being a low percentage play, but watching Bumgartner last night and knowing how he pitched in the series I would have been darn near reckless trying to force a break there.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
He was slowing down going into third cause he got the stop sign and that angle makes Crawford look like he's a lot closer to the infield than it looked like he was watching live or the video.

I'm not saying you're neccesarily wrong about it being a low percentage play, but watching Bumgartner last night and knowing how he pitched in the series I would have been darn near reckless trying to force a break there.

For short distance sprints, slow runners, especially those that don't run for sport, are naturally going to lose speed and gas as they get near the finish line and Gordon was no different.

Doesn't matter how far the SS was, he displayed that his accuracy wasn't an issue earlier in the game on Butler in a near identical situation, you take that into account 100% as a 3B coach

Further, you want to talk about somebody 'standing on 1 leg' in Perez? You could audibly hear Bumgarner grunting after each pitch for the last inning and a half, who you could just as easily say was slinging with nothing in the tank

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
Alfonso Soriano retires. He was arguably my favorite Yankee growing up before he got traded for A-Rod.

Most forget but he would of been the WS hero for the Yanks with a late go ahead HR in Gm 7 in '01.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
He was one of my favorites as well. I wish his career didn't end with such a whimper the way it did at the end of last year but I won't let that tarnish my image of him.

Best of luck Sori!

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Cervelli to the Pirates for Justin Wilson - hoping this leads to JR Murphy as the backup

Hughes finishes 7th in CY Young voting

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Back in 2010, the Padres were in contention for the division. They needed a bat and they traded a couple prospects to get former All-Star Ryan Ludwick. I remember thinking that Ludwick would struggle in Petco Park, but the price didn't seem exorbitant. Yesterday, a friend reminded me about one of the prospects in that deal.

The San Diego Padres announced on Saturday they have acquired outfielder Ryan Ludwick from the St. Louis Cardinals.

In the three-team transaction, the Padres sent left-handed pitcher Nick Greenwood to St. Louis and right-handed pitcher Corey Kluber to the Cleveland Indians, the team announced in a statement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad