LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

May 15, 2003
E-town
EDMONTON 1

VS.

MONTREAL 4
---------------

So, I'm not seeing it.

I didn't see whatever it is everyone and the Coach claim to have seen tonight. I didn't see the Oilers play an improved game tonight. Can someone point me to what exactly these guys are watching that led them to this conclusion?

I saw a team that couldn't get sustained pressure in the offensive zone all night. Ever.

I saw a team that couldn't even enter the zone on the powerplay. It was pathetic. This thing should have been over on PP chances alone.

Is a team doing these two things ever going to have a successful game? Nope.

Eakins made a few mistakes tonight and it is important to look at them:

- Arcobello playing with Hall and Eberle. He might as well have put a boat anchor on each. #26 couldn't keep up. Plain and simple. This completely ruins your rush offense as well as quick attacks to the net. A perfect example happened in the second period when Eberle drove the slot and saw a teammate to his left in the open ice. If this were Hopkins, a great scoring chance was there for the taking. Arcobello couldn't get close. Could he be useful on our fourth line right now? Sure. You can't have him here though.

- He played the fourth line in our own zone after they'd been hemmed in the shift before - then kept playing them afterwards even though they had another sequence of being completely boxed in.

- Claiming that the PP's issue is shooting, rather than the fact that they're all bobbling the puck, getting out of position and making bad passes is both wrong and misleading to his players. Eberle was already listening to this tripe. If this had been the order of the day, Smyth's goal doesn't happen (the shoot morons were yelling the whole time that Schultz and then Hopkins had the puck, thankfully both made the right play). Shooting when there are blockers in the zone can only be done when the play is in motion. This powerplay isn't moving anyone around at the moment. Would it kill someone to buzz the slot every now and again?

- Eakins is not picking up on the fact that his defensive scheme isn't working at the top of the zone. Where other teams have had intense pressure on our point men and created attacks off bad pinches, we have backed way off, either allowing a shot or a passing play to develop. This work work with the level of talent on NHL blue lines. It needs to be fixed. It is also hampering the breakout.

- Not elevating Boyd Gordon. He needed to play with Hemsky-Hall or Eberle-Perron tonight. No sense in leaving him tied to Smyth. The guy had been on a roll and this game derailed it.

Getting away from Eakins, I will give credit to the Canadiens for playing a reasonable game. They were tough in the defensive corners. I don't think the Oilers won a single 50-50 battle down low. They missed Joensuu big time in this game. Even a guy like Omark, who could have slowed the play and sent the puck to the net, would have been useful. An offensive juggernaught the Habs were not.

Their fans were annoying as always. I never will understand cheering like they're watching a european soccer game. Not in Canuck territory, but not enjoyable to be sure.

It is true that MTL's second and third goals should have never happened. Goal #2 saw a trip right in front of our net, and Andrew Ference got picked to created the 2-on-1 on the third goal. Why in hell he was pinching like that I have no idea, but that doesn't change the fact that there was a penalty there. The thing is, it wouldn't have mattered anyway. We had nothing offensively aside from some posts that came off of rush plays.

If that's better, we're in a heap of trouble.
-----------------

Dubynk
- It took him a while to settle in, but he kept the team in the game long enough that they should have been able to take control. Not saying he couldn't have stopped some of them but he was good enough really.

Petry
- Needs to be better. Didn't play a physical game, didn't get his shot away, didn't exactly dominate defensively either. Here's the thing - I know I get frustrated with Petry faster than most people, but that's because I see the toolbox he's working with and expect more. He has very few games in which he takes control. Ugly effort on that two-on-one. He took away nothing.

Smid
- Better game than the last few but not amazing. Made some hits. Decent D.

Ference
- Too aggressive playing with Justin Schultz. Got a couple shots at the net and that's okay. Again, decent defense but certainly not dominant. Big mistake on the third goal as noted above. He can't be doing that. Stick exploded prior to the first MTL goal. Very unfortunate.

J. Schultz
- He's not making the dynamic offensive plays that make his game worthwhile. Just isn't moving at the same pace and that was evident tonight. Second guessing his passes maybe? Horrible on the Prust goal.

N. Schultz
- Got blown by on a couple of rushes. This is what I view as his principle mistake and he still hasn't corrected it. Not making strong passes going out of the zone. I wonder if he's headed for the PB for a game or two in the not too distant future.

Belov
- Not a great game. Some very small episodes of brilliant passing but he also got caught flat footed a couple of times that really stick out for me and didn't get his shot through all that effectively. Needs to be making decisions at a higher speed than tonight.

Brown
- Whole lot of running around doing nothing. Probably the main culprit when the fourth line got caught in the zone because even though he's "speedy", he changes direction so slowly that a team like MTL throws him out of position in a heartbeat. Bad.

Acton
- Showed why he can't be a regular in this league when Hall broke in with him. He had absolutely no clue what to do. Even a guy like Georges Laraque would have driven the net with his stick on the ice. Acton was caught looking around and totally flat. No defensive gold to bail out his weak wingers. I do like that he's not afraid to muck it up in a scrum, but especially when he's not winning draws, that isn't enough.

Gazdic
- Had the one good sequence of a hard hit drawing a fight that should have also produced a PP through the instigator rule. Other than that, he struggled more than previously to help in the defensive zone and get the puck out. If I had my druthers he'd stay longer than Brown but I doubt he does.

Smyth
- I'll give him this - I'd take him on the fourth line because in only a few minutes a night he could probably drive the net well enough to make a difference. His goal and another very similar play that didn't result in a goal were clear examples of that tonight. The thing is, when the puck isn't next to the net he's absolutely lost. Every time the puck game his way, he either lost it immediately or took so long to do anything that Montreal simply took the puck away. He went offside multiple times because he couldn't turn. He was undisciplined and easily frustrated. If he's not on the fourth line or in the PB when Joensuu returns, something is very wrong.

Gordon
- Disappeared into the background a bit tonight. I'm blaming his linemates but perhaps he was just more focused on D tonight due to his assignment. Still strong on the dot but he got lots of PP time and was not a contributor.

Yakupov
- Looked lost out there. You can almost see the gears trying to turn and just not quite click in. He's not instinctively skating to the open areas and the team has forgotten how effective they can be when the puck flows through #64. Then he got frustrated and played an even more limited game. Needs to relax, have some fun and get back to playing his game.

Hemsky
- Pretty decent for most of the game. Hit a couple posts and made some guys miss. Struggled a little at the opposition blue and was not effective on the powerplay. Was very effective when played with Hopkins and Hall. This combo should have stayed together.

Arcobello
- Said all I really want to say earlier. He does nothing but frustrate me in that role.

Perron
- So, I don't know about you, but my go-to play when there's nothing available or I'm being checked is not to simply throw a behind-the-back no-look pass. Apparently Perron thinks this is a good idea, as he did it tonight several times. Unless you have Wayne Gretzky reading your mind from somewhere else on the ice, this play just won't work. Perron was also a tad distracted by the scrums tonight and didn't push the play in a meaningful way.

Eberle
= Struggling. Stepped it up after he got nailed in the third. Simply not creating opportunities to get his shot away. I get the sense the constant line shuffling is frustrating him. Still, he needs to be better than this at creating dangerous opportunities.

Hopkins
- Another pretty solid game from him. Can definitely run with the minutes he's being given no problem. Landed several good hits where he was on the defensive side of the play and prevented the MTL attacker from advancing. Classic example of how you can hit effectively as a medium sized player.

Hall
- Not what he needs to be. Kept getting to the opposition blue and passing BACKWARDS. Made absolutely no sense. He's another guy who looks like he's trying really really hard to learn the system and pay attention to where he's going rather than just playing. I've never seen him so lost on the breakout and rush as he is right now. Was he asking Eller for a fight at the end? Maybe he needs to get run at the beginning of each game to get him going. Something's got to change. This isn't #4.

--------------

Overall I see a confused team who is out there training rather than playing. They need to figure this out quickly or the losses will pile up fast enough that they kill you at the end of the year. You can't be having to think everything through in your head on the ice. You need to be reading and reacting. Too many players on this team are doing that.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think Arco was fine tonight. Eberle was missing in action and Hall didn't seem to be playing smart.

The Habs played that boring defensive hockey that kills us every time. It's irritating and frustrating and reminds me of the dead puck era.

Smyth still needs to go away. Forever. Hemsky was on. Perron seemed to be going pretty good too.

Oct 30, 2011
Thank you for the report, as always.

I did not listen to the game or watch it, so I'm very appreciative of your observations.

I got into the car after work and when I turned it on I heard Therrien on the radio.

I started swearing right then and there. :P

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, and J.Schultz look nothing like the effective players we've seen in the past.

The entire team seemed to forget how to pass and receive passes properly, maybe it was the ice (which looked terrible).

Smid is almost unnoticeable, it's probably because Eakins isn't playing him much, which is different considering the role he has had in the past.

This team is just off. I have no idea why, but all our big guns (save RNH and Hemsky) are playing like a bunch of rookies who are in over their heads.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
There are so many issues that I can't even try to put my criticism in to words. Our best players look like they forgot what the objective of the sport is. We have a coach who wants to make a statement, this will either pay dividends in the future or totally derail the team, my bet is on the latter.

I'm already not thinking about playoffs and feel only a minor shot of anger after losses, the way I feel on February. It's still October, I might be emotionally checked out by the 20 game mark if this is it.

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
Agree with all the comments above but what really irks me is Hall is drilled into the boards from behind and no one grabs the Canadien player and beats him down. Nothing on the next shift either. Refs had already shown that no instigator would be handed out when the Habs responded after the Grazdic hit and fight.

Classic Oilers.:shakehead

Pathetic.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Agree with all the comments above but what really irks me is Hall is drilled into the boards from behind and no one grabs the Canadien player and beats him down. Nothing on the next shift either. Refs had already shown that no instigator would be handed out when the Habs responded after the Grazdic hit and fight.

Pathetic.

What would that have accomplished, exactly?

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Always enjoy your posts LMHF!

Bang on.

I am extremely miffed at this coaching staff right now. We have too much talent to be this bad. They play disorganized bush-league shinny hockey and it has to stop.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Is Smyth any better than Jones, really?

I have a feeling Jones will be back up in short order.

Our C depth is just horrid. Could they not try David Perron there???

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
Yak-Perron-Hemsky
Smyth-Gordon-Jones/Joensuu
Gazdic-Acton-Brown

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005
If they don't figure something out before tomorrow night, its going to be an ugly, one-sided loss for the Oil. And the Leafs are a big, mean team. My guess is a blow out loss and an injury to someone.

I don't see a single win on this road trip. Maybe WSH, but with the way Ovie is playing, he'll single handedly win that game against our terrible D and tending.

Don't think there is a team in the league that is more underperforming than this group. How do they look so consistently flat?

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005

Pathetic.

We're a limp dick team in every facet of the game.

What really pisses me off is that you see teams like CBJ and COL, who arguably have less talent than this Oilers team, get coaching changes and they are suddenly a different team getting improved results. Here, its the same old **** regardless of who is behind the bench.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Pathetic.

Eller knew right away what he did. Smid had a very similar hit the other day. It's just one of those things that you know you shouldn't have done before the guy even hits the boards.

Also taking an instigator at that point of the game would've been the worse thing anyone could've done on the Oilers. And yes there is a difference between Gazdic going after Eller as opposed to Prust and Gazdic. You watch the Gazdic-Prust video and Gazdic's gloves are off first anyway, so no instigator at all.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Agreed completely LMHF.
I'm shocked that there was a good number of posters who thought that the Oilers vastly outplayed the Habs. I feel like I was watching a different game than them. It's scary that Eakins was pleased with the first 2 periods of the Devils game and this one as well. YIKES!!!
This looks exactly like the team of the last several seasons. Play hard in spurts but little substance to their game and that's just not good enough considering the talent on the roster. The Habs had an easy night by standing them up in the neutral zone and taking away their time and space. It's almost like they still think that they can get by on talent alone without putting in the work to improve their overall game and this excludes RNH who actually plays a good 3 zone game.

Most of the other guys play such an immature game, still trying that junior bs with the dipsy doodle stuff on the perimeter and trying blind passes instead of keeping it simple, dumping the puck in and creating a forecheck. Can't blame the coaching on that one, it seems like a bunch of kids who play like kids and have a hard time learning how to play within a system and until they start to play like men, the team is going nowhere.
Just look at the Barons last season for a good example of this. The team improved drastically once the lockout ended and the wunderkids went off to the NHL.
I'm starting to think that the troubles of the team have more to do with the core players than anything else.
Seeing teams like the Leafs, Habs and Avs who are all built with speed and skill similar to the Oilers succeed at executing their system makes it all the more frustrating. Nevermind the fact that the Flames are off to a hot start.

Last edited:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
We're a limp dick team in every facet of the game.

What really pisses me off is that you see teams like CBJ and COL, who arguably have less talent than this Oilers team, get coaching changes and they are suddenly a different team getting improved results. Here, its the same old **** regardless of who is behind the bench.

and Calgary, too :(
look what they are doing with what they have.

I read the PGT from last night and I can't believe there are so many people who are saying the Oilers played good hockey and didn't get the breaks, and they are defending the teams play.
I didn't see that at all.

right now, I'm thinking thank god Hall didn't become captain, although his play right now is typical oiler hockey :(

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I just don't get the PP at all. They will never do anything but throw it to the point no matter the defensive positioning of the other team. It makes it even worse when it's Ryan Smyth catching the pass at the blue line on the wall. It's the easiest PP possible to defend.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I also dont get the coach... first he thought we played good 2 periods in to game vs NJ and now this? raise your ****ing standards buddy.

I guess for AHLers we might have been ok.. but there was a lot to be desired out of that group. We played good hockey only at the last 5 mins of 2nd period. Rest was hot potatoes on ice.

Perron was our best player again tonight IMO.. the only one consistently generating offense.
Say whatever you want about Arco ... but he was probably the best player on his line.. Hall and Ebs... pathetic! Yak not any better..

Loved the Perron-RNH-Hemsky line.. I call it the line that gives a ****.. no one else did.

Hope we roll with that and move Hall to C on 2nd line..
Eberle-Hall-Yak .. call it the line that needs to get its head out of darkness.

/rant

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
It's not rocket science to beat the Oilers.

Stand up at the line to force turnovers. Don't worry if they get it deep because they can't win a board battle for the life of them. When they do get the zone with control collapse low to the net. They don't have the balls to take the puck there. Wait for turnover.

RNH's rush that led to the Galchenyuk goal is the perfect example. Enters the zone. Goes around the net. Goes to the hashmark on the boards.. brutally loses a puck battle. All the team is caught.. 2 on 1 the other way. Goal.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
"Overall I see a confused team who is out there training rather than playing. They need to figure this out quickly or the losses will pile up fast enough that they kill you at the end of the year. You can't be having to think everything through in your head on the ice. You need to be reading and reacting. Too many players on this team are doing that."

This is exactly what I think is happening with the team. There have just been so many changes to coaches and systems they have had to learn that they are confused. I'm guessing that we will see them figure this out as the season progresses and start finding their games.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If they don't figure something out before tomorrow night, its going to be an ugly, one-sided loss for the Oil. And the Leafs are a big, mean team. My guess is a blow out loss and an injury to someone.

I don't see a single win on this road trip. Maybe WSH, but with the way Ovie is playing, he'll single handedly win that game against our terrible D and tending.

Don't think there is a team in the league that is more underperforming than this group.
How do they look so consistently flat?

The New York Rangers say hi.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
"Overall I see a confused team who is out there training rather than playing. They need to figure this out quickly or the losses will pile up fast enough that they kill you at the end of the year. You can't be having to think everything through in your head on the ice. You need to be reading and reacting. Too many players on this team are doing that."

This is exactly what I think is happening with the team. There have just been so many changes to coaches and systems they have had to learn that they are confused. I'm guessing that we will see them figure this out as the season progresses and start finding their games.

I understand that to an extent concerning the give aways and missed assignments in the defensive zone. Heck I'm hoping that's why Yakupov looks like a lost puppy trying to play hockey.. really hoping.

It's losing every single battle for the puck.. That's not coaching. That's just a bunch of sissy's losing puck battles. Can you coach that out? You could put skirts on half the team and give them ringette sticks and they'd be just as effective battling for the puck.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I told myself I would stay away from the boards because I know after that game I would be too negative.

But here I am.

I agree and disagree with you.

Our team did play better overall this game. This was evident for most the game.

However, the way I see it, we upgraded from weak AHL team status, to Weak NHL team status. Continue to play like we did and we are in the running for the first overall again for sure. As a small bright point at least we aren't the New York Rangers. Dubnyk didn't let in a soft goal either. Small victories.

Arcobella: What did this kid do to you? Murder your parents in a dark alley? Arcobella had an absolutely beast of a game in the faceoff circle, silky break out passes, was fabulous defensively. You can't just ignore that because Eberle is struggling.

I did see a little of what you were ranting about in previous games with him offensively with the puck. A tiny tiny tiny bit. You also have to remember he is a play maker primarily, and Eberle is not pulling his weight either.

The above is all the optimism I can find.

Right now, Eberle is the anchor on that line. He looks brutal. What did he do during the offseason? Take up masonry? I know that isn't true cause he'd be a whole lot tougher. He is getting creamed out there every game and has nothing to show for it.

Hall doesn't look like a future Hall of famer right now. He looks like someone who wouldn't be able to stay on an NHL team if they didn't know he put up 50 points last year. LIFT YOUR $%^&ING HEAD UP!!!! STOP $%^&ING PASSING WITHOUT LOOKING!!!! The guy looks like he never played hockey before with some of his plays.

Smyth got a goal in typical Smyth fashion and yet I would of rather lost 4-0 cause he looked so terrible. Although I must say he did look better this game than previous ones.

Yakapov... I don't buy that him being on the third line hurts him any way. He still looks like a guy who doesn't know where he is or what he is doing.

Right now 2 of 3 of our first overalls look like busts. Complete and utter busts. Even if they start scoring I am no longer certain they can lead us to a cup.

What did these do over the summer??? Forget how to play hockey?

When your best players are obviously your worst we won't make the playoffs.

There are no excuses this year IMO. This is where I disagree with you a lot. Our bottom 6 looks great. Easily on par or even better than most teams in the NHL.

Coaching, I don't follow the systems as you do but can't say Ive seen anything ammaturish like I did with Renny and Kruger.

I remember thinking a lot of this at the beginning of last year about Hall, Hopkins, and Eberle. I do not know why they are such slow starters but I hope they get their #$%^ together soon cause this IS embarrassing.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Totally agree with the report.

I've watched all Oilers game this season and a bunch of non-Oilers games. We're terrible. Opponents blow on us and we fall over. They easily poke the puck away too. I'm amazed at the play of Sharks, Canucks, Flames, Blues, Leafs, Avs... how strong they are on the puck and how they can cycle. Over the last few years our cycle has been right along the boards (perimeter) outside the dangerous area.

We're lacking in depth - the bottom 6 forwards are awful except for Gordon. AHLers needs to go. Smyth can't hold on the puck for more than 3 seconds before losing it.

We don't need an enforcer - we need smart hard-to-push off the puck players. Harski would be nice, but honestly bringing in any NHL vets that have a few more years left would be incredible.

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
I told myself I would stay away from the boards because I know after that game I would be too negative.

But here I am.

I agree and disagree with you.

Our team did play better overall this game. This was evident for most the game.

However, the way I see it, we upgraded from weak AHL team status, to Weak NHL team status. Continue to play like we did and we are in the running for the first overall again for sure. As a small bright point at least we aren't the New York Rangers. Dubnyk didn't let in a soft goal either. Small victories.

Arcobella: What did this kid do to you? Murder your parents in a dark alley? Arcobella had an absolutely beast of a game in the faceoff circle, silky break out passes, was fabulous defensively. You can't just ignore that because Eberle is struggling.

I did see a little of what you were ranting about in previous games with him offensively with the puck. A tiny tiny tiny bit. You also have to remember he is a play maker primarily, and Eberle is not pulling his weight either.

The above is all the optimism I can find.

Right now, Eberle is the anchor on that line. He looks brutal. What did he do during the offseason? Take up masonry? I know that isn't true cause he'd be a whole lot tougher. He is getting creamed out there every game and has nothing to show for it.

Hall doesn't look like a future Hall of famer right now. He looks like someone who wouldn't be able to stay on an NHL team if they didn't know he put up 50 points last year. LIFT YOUR $%^&ING HEAD UP!!!! STOP $%^&ING PASSING WITHOUT LOOKING!!!! The guy looks like he never played hockey before with some of his plays.

Smyth got a goal in typical Smyth fashion and yet I would of rather lost 4-0 cause he looked so terrible. Although I must say he did look better this game than previous ones.

Yakapov... I don't buy that him being on the third line hurts him any way. He still looks like a guy who doesn't know where he is or what he is doing.

Right now 2 of 3 of our first overalls look like busts. Complete and utter busts. Even if they start scoring I am no longer certain they can lead us to a cup.

What did these do over the summer??? Forget how to play hockey?

When your best players are obviously your worst we won't make the playoffs.

There are no excuses this year IMO. This is where I disagree with you a lot. Our bottom 6 looks great. Easily on par or even better than most teams in the NHL.

Coaching, I don't follow the systems as you do but can't say Ive seen anything ammaturish like I did with Renny and Kruger.

I remember thinking a lot of this at the beginning of last year about Hall, Hopkins, and Eberle. I do not know why they are such slow starters but I hope they get their #$%^ together soon cause this IS embarrassing.

Whos this Arcobella guy......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad